Old 02-05-2024, 01:05 PM   #81
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I've decided to chronicle our cruising on Instagram as we have many friends and family who are not boaters and would like to see some of our travels.

I've started with several posts including some archival ones of "Before" refit.

Please feel free to follow our journey. We are currently in Barra de Navidad and headed to Zihuatenao on Wednesday.

I'll continue to post boat-specific items here on TF of course.

Our Instagram address: https://www.instagram.com/mvweebles/

Peter

Attachment 145578
Nice mv-luna-c is now following....
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:28 AM   #82

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: Beebe passagemaker 50
Quote:
I've decided to chronicle our cruising on Instagram as we have many friends and family who are not boaters and would like to see some of our travels.

Please feel free to follow our journey. We are currently in Barra de Navidad and headed to Zihuatenao on Wednesday.

Peter

Attachment 145578

Cool Peter. Let me know if you have any questions with instagram. I've been doing for awhile. I'm not perfect at it, but might be able to muddle through with you.. .
Old 02-09-2024, 09:46 AM   #83

City: Atlantic Beach
Quote:

Peter

Attachment 145578
========================================

enjoying your posts, remind me of my own years past, feel were the best years of my life.

Different boats, same goals, live and enjoy our lives, what a gift.
Attached Thumbnails
Morro Bay CA to St Peter Florida.jpg  
Davil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:56 AM   #84
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil1 View Post
========================================

enjoying your posts, remind me of my own years past, feel were the best years of my life.

On CruisersForum - the sail oriented sister site of TrawlerForum, I detect a certain arrogance towards power boaters. But when we're actually out here doing it, no one seems to care what you're on, just that you're there, which is what I'd expect. I have to say, Weebles draws a crowd. She looks great and sailors seem to think her style is what they'd have when they transition to power.

We just arrived Ixtapa Marina. Plenty of room here. Pretty cheap too. About $30/day (incl tax) for Weebles plus power and water. Something to be said for a small boat. We're off to lunch with a pair of couples we met along the way who also arrived today. One a fellow member of the Panama Posse. Nice folks - they both have small dogs so we get out pet fix.

We're staying more in marinas than we thought we would, mostly because they're affordable and we can explore. Ixtapa is next to Zihuateneo which doesn't have a marina so we'll take the bus there just as we did in Mazatlan. Easy.

Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240209_092807.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	145649

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240209_092439.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	145650
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:21 PM   #85

City: Wadsworth
Vessel Name: Mar Azul
Vessel Model: 1977 Hatteras 42 LRC
Quote:
On CruisersForum - the sail oriented sister site of TrawlerForum, I detect a certain arrogance towards power boaters. But when we're actually out here doing it, no one seems to care what you're on, just that you're there, which is what I'd expect. I have to say, Weebles draws a crowd. She looks great and sailors seem to think her style is what they'd have when they transition to power.
That would be refreshing to me. In my cruising area, I am a big boat, and power boaters in this area seem to have no clue what a slow pass is. They will roar past a bare pole 22' sailboat digging a 4' deep trench 20 yards away next to a breakwall. Sailboater's all look at me like I was the last guy to do that to them. As a former sailboater, I have a full displacement power boat but the sailboater's barely acknowledge the fact that I exist.
PierreR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:21 PM   #86

Quote:

We just arrived Ixtapa Marina. Plenty of room here. Pretty cheap too. About $30/day (incl tax) for Weebles plus power and water. Something to be said for a small boat. We're off to lunch with a pair of couples we met along the way who also arrived today. One a fellow member of the Panama Posse. Nice folks - they both have small dogs so we get out pet fix.

We're staying more in marinas than we thought we would, mostly because they're affordable and we can explore. Ixtapa is next to Zihuateneo which doesn't have a marina so we'll take the bus there just as we did in Mazatlan. Easy.

Peter

Attachment 145649

Attachment 145650
================================
I remember Ixtapa, was very nice then.

copy/paste from my recent post

Old 02-09-2024, 12:27 PM   #87

two areas we enjoyed and explored with buses were Mexico and Panama.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:33 AM   #88
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Glad you two are enjoying Ixtapa! We miss buddy boating with you and Cheryll. It was comforting on the long night watches to see you on radar and AIS (pointing 90 degrees to starboard) and know friends were near. I appreciate your setting that up Peter, as it makes Weebles easily identifiable on AIS!

We're currently in Chiapas. Nice Marina. About 70 slips, nice restaurant on site. Travel lift and long term dry storage as well. Bus or Taxi into Tapachula, which has an international airport, also Walmart, Home Depot, Sorianos, Office Depot, etc. That'll be a jaunt for tomorrow. For today, hooking up with a friend we met on line several years ago who has offered to show us around. Nice place to say awhile. 14 miles from Guatemala, take a day or overnight trip to renew your 180 day Mexican visa as well.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:02 PM   #89
Guru

I've been posting to Instagram (mvweebles) but whats missing is the day to day drudgery that cruising involves.

We will depart Ixtapa at 0700 tomorrow morning. Yesterday was a trip into Zihuatenejo to the Capitinea de Puerto to check in and out (we arrived last Friday so Monday was the first we could check in). We spent about an hour at the port captains office including going across the street for copies. There is no charge for arrivals and exits within Mexico, but they do want to you to check on and out. Their house. Their rules. We like it here so "The Dude will Abide ".

We had lunch at the Mercado. Great tacos from a place there if it were in the US would be shut down immediately. We are way to serious about this stuff.

Honey is sold everywhere in Mexico and we use a fair amount. Mercado is the best place to get it so that was on the list. I eat granola and fruit with yogurt most mornings and a splash of honey is perfect. On late night watches, a cup of tea with honey is also great. So we go through a fair amount.

I also needed some 20 micron filters for the watermaker. I have a dozen 5 micron but wanted a coarser pre filter. We discover a lot about a town looking for parts and searching for filters was no different. General strategy is to find a place (hardware store in this case) and see if they have what we want. If not, ask for a recommendation. We struck gold on the third store and came home with 6 filters.

Final stop yesterday was a grocery store for some more yogurt. Cilantro, and a handful of fresh fruit and produce. So the day took around 6 hours of bus rides and waiting. Was a good day.

Today was getting ready to leave. I have a few chores. Change water filters for water maker. Fix gasket on fridge (fairly involved but boring), futzed with the inverter (a different thread), finally found the replacement water heater element I'd been searching for, checked out of marina ($40/nt all-in-one including power, water, and slip fees), and stowed misc gear. We managed to find time to go for lunch at a place run by a Canadian who does vegan type lunch, a change from tacos.

Bottom line is if relaxation is the goal, not sure cruising is the right solution, at least if you're trying to move around. Frankly, we tell folks we're on a lazy delivery so not sure if fully qualified as cruising, but we believe it does.

Still having a great time. Not tired of tacos yet. There are fewer anchorages and places to stop going south but that's okay. We are looking forward to Huatulco in a couple weeks where we'll hopefully pause for a week or so and take a trip inland to Oaxaca, heartbeat if Mexican folk art and food

Peter

PICTURES
  • Port Captain office in Zihuatenejo
  • Cavendish at anchor, a SeaPiper 35 (for those who think you need a Nordhavn, we've been playing leap frog with Cavendish for 500 nms)
  • And a Sports Bar with cute banner.
Attached Thumbnails
20240212_123822.jpg   20240209_121329.jpg   20240212_123905.jpg  
Old 02-13-2024, 10:40 PM   #90
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
That Seapiper looks an awful lot like a Nordhavn 35. Either way, your point about not needing an expedition yacht is a good one.

Cruising is definitely a participation sport. Hopefully all that work keeps us young. Your posts are always entertaining and interesting. Keep them coming.
guy with a boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:55 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
That Seapiper looks an awful lot like a Nordhavn 35. Either way, your point about not needing an expedition yacht is a good one.

Cruising is definitely a participation sport. Hopefully all that work keeps us young. Your posts are always entertaining and interesting. Keep them coming.
A couple years ago, Sea Piper was a frequent advertiser on TF. Base price was $169k. I see they've stretched to 37-feet but no word on base price.

https://www.seapiperboats.com/

Looks like it needs some awnings for at-anchor, but otherwise well-suited for day-hops. We're about 1500 nms into our journey and have spent just a few overnights on the trek thus far. To say we pick our weather is an understateent. Tomorrow is forecast at 4-ft at 13-seconds. Wind Gusts (vs just winds) are more accurate forecasts on Windy, but still, at 12-15 nm/hr, not much to worry about.

For us, cruising is a lifestyle decision. It's not about the boat. Sail,Power, Big,Small. Whatever. Like the Sea Piper, we need to be cautious with the weather.....and pick the season for transit. But it's very feasible to cover long distances however we have to be more careful (much more careful) than if we were in an expedition class trawler yacht. While we don't consider ourselves to be 'camping,' I suppose many would. All I can say is we're having a great time and our little Willard 36 suits us well.

Peter
Old 02-14-2024, 01:09 PM   #92
Guru

We are 20 nms south of Zihuatenejo, halfway to the anchorage for the night.

We were getting knocked hard by a northbound current that cleaved 1.5-2.0 knots of boat speed. Modest wind against crested some mild chop. Decided to move closer to the beach to see if we could snare a counter-current which appears to have worked.

We are about 5/8s mile off the beach in 100 feet of water. The beach is entirely remote and deserted for many, many miles - at least 20.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
20240214_120342.jpg  
Old 02-14-2024, 01:40 PM   #93
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I am surprised you didn’t stop and anchor in Zihuatanejo Bay. Google Maps satellite view shows a couple of dozen boats anchored on the west side of the bay, so it must be possible.

We have been there twice, once on a cruise ship 30 years ago and another 10 years ago by plane where we stayed at a small inn overlooking the bay. The difference in development between the two visits was remarkable and I am sure the development has continued.

Overall, quite charming.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:24 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
I am surprised you didnít stop and anchor in Zihuatanejo Bay. Google Maps satellite view shows a couple of dozen boats anchored on the west side of the bay, so it must be possible.

We have been there twice, once on a cruise ship 30 years ago and another 10 years ago by plane where we stayed at a small inn overlooking the bay. The difference in development between the two visits was remarkable and I am sure the development has continued.

Overall, quite charming.

David
It's a beautiful anchorage and we really thought about staying there for a couple days. But we spent 6 days in Marina Ixtapa which was super easy to grab a bus to Zihuatenejo - they run every 5-10 mins for $17 pesos ($1 USD) or so - which we did four days.

Marina Ixtapa, like Marina Mazatlan, was a planned community by Mexicos tourist agency Fonotaur. Governments rarely make the best decision but they do sometimes get lucky. Both developments had grand plans but have not been maintained over the years. But they are well positioned and frankly, affordable. Our stay at Ixtapa was $40/night all-in. And it was easy to get around. So we used it as our staging place for Zihuatenejo

A couple pictures. From afar, looks beautiful. But when you get near the decay is clear. The tower is at risk of toppling.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
20240209_092453.jpg   20240209_203037.jpg  
Old 02-14-2024, 03:30 PM   #95
Guru

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
Quote:

A couple pictures. From afar, looks beautiful. But when you get near the decay is clear. The tower is at risk of toppling.

Peter
Maintenance on land is as important as maintenance on the sea.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:17 PM   #96
Guru

Underway after 5 days in Acapulco Bay. One of the nav apps I use is iNavX and I see it gives position coordinates that are easily emailed.

Current location HERE. Chugging along at 6.7 kts at 1600 RPM on the Perkins 4.236 75hp Methuselah that seems intrepid as can be. Seas are calm with a 3-foot 14-second swell from starboard quarter. Gorgeous.

Anchored in a small bay just off Acapulco Bay. Anchor felt like it was dragging ever so slightly so we decided to move. Turns out we'd picked up an old panga mooring. 2-inch poly line.

For those in southern California, you have a pretty good idea of what anchoring in Mexico is like. Open roadsreads. Swell. Sometimes tight anchorages. Every region has their own challenges but Mexico seems prone to rolly anchorages, especially when the wind stops around midnight and the lies bean-ro the swell. Will toss you out of the bunk. Although I rarely see them down here, flopper stoppers seem like standard equipment and I'm glad I have them. The alternative is setting a stern anxhor.

Vittles. Last night I made pizza. I was going to make it a few nights ago but when I opened the new sack of King Arthur flour we brought down, of had become a big colony even though the unopened bag was stored in an airtight Rubbermaid container. So I found some flour at a grocery in Acapulco and tried making Sicilian style pizza. Pretty dang good if i do say so myself.

We have coffee early - especially early this morning as we hauled anchor at 7am which is barely daybreak here. Breakfast is either some cereal and milk, or a fruit smoothie. Lunch will be leftovers if some sort. Cheryll made some beef in stroganoff a few days ago, or perhaps some Thai curry I made a couple days ago. If course, there's always the pizza......

Next stop is Puerto Escondido which will be tomorrow morning after a 26 hour overnight run. We'll go to a marina near Huatulco on Saturday and stay there for at least a week so we can travel inland to Oaxaca which is sort of a bucket list destination for me. I enjoy cooking and am fascinated by Mexican cuisine. Oaxaca is the epicenter of many complex dishes including mole.

In a couple weeks we'll mosey across T-Pec to Chiapas where Muirgen (SlowGoesit) is now, though I think they are departing in the next day or so.

We originally planned to leave Weebles in Costa Rica for the summer and return in the fall to continue south through the Las Perlas islands, Panama Canal, San Blas Islands, and the Bocas del Toro islands. Turns out Costa Rica is damn expensive - Weebles' 36-foot length would be at least $1400/mo, and that assumes they have a small slip available. One place only has 45-foot slips so cost would be close to $2k/mo. Lot of dough to store a boat.

So Plan A is now El Salvador. There's a small resort in a river called Bahia del Sol that has a small marina and we'll serviced moorings. A fellow Willard owner told me about this place over 20 years ago and I've wanted to go ever since. The bar crossing is apparently tricky so they send a panga out to guide you in. Sounds exciting.

I've been posting pictures to our Instagram account MVWeebles if anyone is interesting. Couple short videos too (sea turtle checked us out in Acapulco Bay).

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
20240220_133247.jpg   20240220_180439.jpg  
Old 02-22-2024, 11:38 AM   #97
Guru

We just arrived in Puerto Escondido hoping to anchor despite the meh reviews on Active Captain. Turns out it's a meh anchorage. Pangas have filled in the decent places, and there is a lot of deep water. Leaves anchoring off the beach in the open as an alternative which doesn't sound enticing.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=positi...5,-97.06685291

So we'll head 25 nms south to another anchorage.

We departed Marques, an anchorage just outside Acapulco Bay, yesterday around 7am. According to our Coastal Explorer track. We did 167 nms in 25.5 hours for an average of 6.57 kts, though we had between 1/4 it to 1/2 ky favorable current pushing us. Cruising RPM is 1600 which is hopefully around 1.1 gph.

All running well. Several minor glitches on the fix-it list but nothing that keeps me up at night.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
20240222_101856.jpg  
Old 02-22-2024, 01:20 PM   #98
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
" Turns out Costa Rica is damn expensive - Weebles' 36-foot length would be at least $1400/mo, and that assumes they have a small slip available. One place only has 45-foot slips so cost would be close to $2k/mo. Lot of dough to store a boat.

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too popular"
--Y. Berra
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:25 AM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too popular"
--Y. Berra
I always loved that quote. I think he said it about the Hamptons.

Getting ready to haul anchor this morning.

Here's our current location.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=positi...7,-96.49344496

For us, there are two important pieces of equipment for comfortable anchoring along the Pacific Coast open roadsteads, one of which we do not have. Flopper Stoppers (or some flavor of at-anchor stabilization); and an easily deployed stern anchor (we have spare anchors but not easily deployable).

We now routinely set both sides of our flopper stoppers. We had been going with just one for ease, but adding the second one definitely helps a bunch. Part of the issue is the line I used to rig them is too stretchy so it really needs the second flopper stopper.

Apologies for the rotated picture. I understand there is a fix for this, but really TF developers: this has been an ongoing issue for some for a long time.

Stern anchor. Separate topic/thread as it's rare in the US except for those who anchor in tidal rivers. My current thinking is a smallish single piece anchor (vs a Danforth style) around 8kg with 2m of 1/4" chain and 150' of 1/2" braid all stored in an insulated shopping bag like Costco sells. Easy to store, easy to repack. I'd love a reel of webbing but they are dang expensive in the US, plus I don't have a great place to mount it though I suppose I could figure out something.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
20240223_071551.jpg   20240223_071605.jpg  
Old 02-23-2024, 08:42 AM   #100
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Peter
A good writeup on El Salvador for cruisers is:

carmody-clan.com in October 2020 Yachting World magazine (not a link so look it up)
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote