Which boat would you buy, solo liveaboard, $100k budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow big question!
Sounds like the number one issue is finding a boat already set up for off grid life and has starlink up and working( which I very much doubt)
The actual boat matters a lot less
No boat you are looking at came standard with Solar powered off grid set up etc from new so everything will be a Previous owners work.
Look for something that had that done really well, sorted by preferably professionals ( if you can find them) .
That should cut you choices down to just a few boats …… unless you change your mind and want to refit the boat for off grid which you said you don’t have time for.
So you also have to decide are you boating or working as a priority?
Good luck

Love your comment about fishing while working. I'd do the same and sometimes have to pause my conversation by saying "please hold while I get the other line ".

hi. great goal. what ever you decide 3x the cost to retrofit and 10x the time.

If you're interested I'm and planning on putting my 1987 42' CHB Royal Star up for sale. It's a great boat. Low hours on twin Lehman 275 HP Super turbos. Bow thruster. Aft Cabin sundeck has hard top. Twin helm with pilot door and walk around and a whole lot more. It's in San Diego and could easily be sailed up to the Colombia. I'm the third owner and it's been well cared for. PM me if your interested.

Last edited:
When I say I can make up to $250k "work", what I mean is that spending up to $250k on the purchase of the boat won't affect my long term plans, not that if I spend $250k I'm broke. Just to be extra conservative my annual budget includes 30% of purchase price in maintenance and a $40k refit. Obviously I'd prefer to spend less than that, but if that's what it takes to make this work then that's what I'll spend to make this work.

And yes, I know that boats take a lot of work, both skilled and unskilled. I'm not particularly concerned about my ability to learn these new skills. Will it be hard? Yes, of course. I've done a great many very hard things in my life, including things I was told couldn't be done. I don't believe something being hard is a good reason not to try.

Insurance is something that I am actually a bit concerned about. But from what I've read I can probably satisfy the insurance companies by hiring a captain to give me so many hours of instruction on my boat. That sounds like just a good idea in general, and if it also solves the insurance problem then even better.

Liveaboard slip in Puget Sound isn't something I think I need? I don't plan to stay in any one location for especially long, much less near Seattle where the slips are the most crowded. The biggest reason I want the boat is so I can go someplace quiet, I'm very happy to spend my time hundreds of miles from Seattle in some quiet coastal town. Or better yet a nice anchorage where I can do some fishing and crabbing. As I said, I'm planning to split my time between the Columbia River and Inside Passage.

The internet connectivity issue seems reasonably well solved by Starlink. Deprioritized service, but that's unlikely to be especially disruptive. You'd think I wouldn't be able to tolerate interruptions in service due to my job, but I can actually do a lot of my work entirely offline. Unless outages are frequent and stretch for many hours at a time, they probably won't have that much impact on my productivity. I'll have cell service as a backup, assuming I'm close enough to a tower.

If anyone has thoughts or critiques on my answers to these questions, I am all ears. That's why I'm here, after all. But I really was hoping to get some boat recommendations in this thread so I can go see some of them in person before I start the new job. So if we could also answer the question I asked in parallel, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I, like you am a full time software engineer and I have been working remotely from a boat for over 10 years. I use my phone as a hotspot when I am out as cell coverage is great in the N. Cal East Bay Area. You can get cell antennas to boost your area.
The first one was a 1964 Tollycraft 27 that I completely rebuilt. She has 200W of solar panels for being out. That is not enough to both charge the batteries and run the boat. She only has a small fridge which was enough for me. She has everything I need except a shower, propane heat and cooking. Used a small portable gen on the bow to supplement the solar when needed.
I now live on a 1990 Bayliner 4588. She has everything I need except the solar panels I don't anchor out much these days, wish I could. You could probably construct a hardtop to support solar for boats like mine depending on the design, but they would only be able to run some things. This boat has 3 50 amp shore inlets and needs them. The generator can run everything when needed. I paid just over $100 K.
You can get by with a very small space if the setup is right. Be happy to answer any questions privately.

Sorry, been meaning to respond but it's been a very hectic week. Thanks again everyone for the advice. I really do appreciate it. I don't want to quote everyone for fear of making this wall of text even taller, but there were a couple things I wanted to reply to.

Lollipop,
Since you're in Seattle, come and visit and we'll show you Liberty. A PT-38, single engine trawler. Sedan style with centerline double forward, second cabin with bunks, roomy enough head and extremely roomy engine room.
NOT THAT WE'RE FOR SALE, though I suppose we could be, but there are other PT-38's out there.
Marty
Thanks for the offer! I'll definitely take you up on it. Depending on how close you are I might have to wait a little while, though. I suppose I should explain my situation a little better.

Right now the main thing holding me back from getting started is my dog, Callisto, who is partially paralyzed by degenerative myelopathy. There's no treatment, it's just a matter of keeping her comfortable and happy as long as possible. She's not in pain or anything, but it's just going to keep getting worse until I can't take care of her anymore. She'd probably be fine if I left her alone for an afternoon, she can still control her bladder/bowels and scoot around the house okay. But for the time being, I'd just prefer not to leave for longer than necessary. I mean, in five years am I going to be happy I spent an afternoon looking at boats instead of spending the time with her when I could?

The month-ish timeframe is my best estimate of how much longer until the paralysis reaches her front legs and I can't take care of her any longer. A couple months ago I was hoping to make it to June, but now she seems to be kind of coasting, so I really don't know how much longer it'll be. But for now, she's in the driver's seat, I'm just along for the ride.

Also on the subject of my background, a lot of people have expressed concerns about my ability to perform maintenance tasks. That's totally reasonable, I didn't say anything about myself that would lead anyone to believe I was mechanically inclined.

So, I like to build stuff. Here's a quick list of projects that might inspire confidence that I can maintain a boat:

• Designed and built my own 3D printer,
  • Converted my Sherline 5400 mill to CNC
  • Converted a toaster oven into a reflow oven to solder the circuit boards I was etching,
  • Solar powered owl box with IR camera inside (owls never came, box worked fine)
  • Hydroponics systems for my family's (now closed) landscaping center
  • Countless hours fixing and rebuilding stuff destroyed by storms (I grew up in southern Alabama).

So while I don't have any experience maintaining a boat like this, it's not like I'm going to run screaming when confronted with installation instructions that involve making permanent modifications to the boat. I have lots of experience with electrical systems, even some experience with solar specifically, and have built my own charge controllers from raw components and copper clad. Of course doing this stuff on a boat is not the same as doing it on land, I'm just trying to say that I'm not starting from zero.

My biggest blind spot is engine maintenance, which I've been working on rectifying. Mostly watching YouTube videos to learn about how the parts of a diesel engine work, and how to maintain them properly. Of course I know this is no substitute for practical experience, and maintaining an actual engine is going to be a lot harder than anything on YouTube makes it seem. But I don't see any reason I can't learn, just like everyone else did. Hell, I'm looking forward to it. I love learning new skills.

Love your comment about fishing while working. I'd do the same and sometimes have to pause my conversation by saying "please hold while I get the other line ".
I am 100% stealing that.

I would be looking at a sailboat, a Gemini 105m. The is a good one for sale in Ft Myers for under 100k
Good luck
Henry
Sailboat was the plan until I got the new job. With the new job I'll need so much power that I don't think a small-ish sailboat will work that well.

At minimum I need to be running my laptop, plus an external monitor, plus either cell or StarLink, for at least 8 hours per day every weekday. Assuming a very conservative 150W for the laptop and monitor, plus 50W for StarLink, that's 1.6 kWh minimum every weekday. And that's not even considering refrigeration, water, lights, etc.. That might be doable on a small sailboat, but I'm not going to be the one to do it.

So, in the typical month you have in mind, what distances to you plan to cover daily?
Not really sure. In the winter months, probably not very much. Remaining parked in a slip most of the time seems like a good plan.

During the warmer months, my primary motivations to move would be looking for the fish or getting back to shore for pump out and provisioning. If I've found the fish, and my supplies are good, I'd be inclined to stay more or less where I was for a while and enjoy the fishing. Exactly how long that will be I really can't say.

So most days, no travel. Some weekends will be travel heavy to cover longer distances before work on Monday. Any travel on weekdays would be limited to a few hours to accommodate work, but on rare occasions it won't be a problem to move work around to accommodate travel.

Do you want to pay for servicing two engines or one? Do you yearn unprotected propellers hanging down under the boat to snag crab pots, or dies a single engine with keel and skeg protecting the prop?
Free crab pots does sound nice...

I kid, I kid. The cost of two engines isn't something I'm worried about. What I am worried about is access to the engines for repair. I'm a big guy. I've lost a lot of weight in the past six months, but I've got plenty more to lose. But even if I were at a healthy weight, I'm not a small guy. A cramped engine compartment just isn't going to work well for me.

Flybridge for the view and seeing over fig in the water? Visibility around the boat since you plan to travel alone?
Ideally yes.

Bitstream said:
I, like you am a full time software engineer and I have been working remotely from a boat for over 10 years.

<snip>
Be happy to answer any questions privately.
Thank you very much, I will absolutely toss some questions your way when the time comes.

Good Ship, sounds like you have the skills and desire to make it happen. Some of the posts in response to your questions early on in your thread were a bit snarky, and I thought you handled it well. There are also a lot of people on here who are very sharp technically if you have more questions in the future.

When I started my journey I had no experience in anything related to boats or boating. Don't fear taking stuff on, just be committed to always find out the right way and doing that. Err on the side of overkill. I jumped in head first and did a stem to stern refit on every system in my first boat. I got another years later and did it again. Get the boat you want that will serve your needs without major work. Ugly ducks that have good running gear are cheaper than jewels.

IF you are going to SOLO a lot then, it is not so much the brand but how it is equipped.
Work your way up in length..... start short and when comfortable, love up in length, if you want. Opinion: Dont buy your 'last boat' first.

Docking with spring lines, docking via rudder and back and fill.

Two thrusters and a wireless remote and/or LOTS of practice with a training captain.
I have a Dockmate on my AT34. Gives be wireless control for both thruster and 'crawl speed' fwd and reverse.

I suspect you will get at least 100 more suggestions.

IF you are going to SOLO a lot then, it is not so much the brand but how it is equipped.
Work your way up in length..... start short and when comfortable, love up in length, if you want. Opinion: Dont buy your 'last boat' first.

Docking with spring lines, docking via rudder and back and fill.

Two thrusters and a wireless remote and/or LOTS of practice with a training captain.
I have a Dockmate on my AT34. Gives be wireless control for both thruster and 'crawl speed' fwd and reverse.

I suspect you will get at least 100 more suggestions.

Excellent advise! There's an argument to get a "learning boat" that's easy to sell, use it until one can figure out what they really want in a boat.

BTW, tell me about your remote.... I have the remote for thrusters, and AP, but no shift control which would be great for operating from the back of the boat.

Sealvee,
Here is the URL

dockmate.us

There is a lot of good advice here. But no one has mentioned not going too big. I went from 45' to 70'. No problems with the wife and I handling the boat (lots of blue water experience), but the day to day maintenance was a killer. When you have 5 heads, 6 state rooms, 2 gensets, watermaker, 15 batteries, and so on, you will spend all your time working on the boat and no time for your job. Keep it simple. For your purpose something like the GB36 or a look a like is probably perfect. Remember, every boat is a compromise. For us it turned out to be the Mainship 350, which surprisingly I would not recommend for the offshore trip to Columbia River due to a small rudder and it's placement. It looks like you have an open mind. there are plenty solid boats in your price range. Don't be surprised if you find a boat for sale that you didn't consider that ends up fitting your needs perfectly.

There is a lot of good advice here. But no one has mentioned not going too big. I went from 45' to 70'. No problems with the wife and I handling the boat (lots of blue water experience), but the day to day maintenance was a killer. When you have 5 heads, 6 state rooms, 2 gensets, watermaker, 15 batteries, and so on, you will spend all your time working on the boat and no time for your job. Keep it simple. For your purpose something like the GB36 or a look a like is probably perfect. Remember, every boat is a compromise. For us it turned out to be the Mainship 350, which surprisingly I would not recommend for the offshore trip to Columbia River due to a small rudder and it's placement. It looks like you have an open mind. there are plenty solid boats in your price range. Don't be surprised if you find a boat for sale that you didn't consider that ends up fitting your needs perfectly.

Yup - Well stated!

What is your mission?
One or 2 staterooms?
One or 2 engines?

I suggest you look at the American Tug 34/36 and the American Tug in the low 40ft range. Finding can be difficult but they are out there somewhere.

Trust me, you DO NOT want a fixer upper.

I suggest a minimum of $200K and then as things progress to $300K so why not start out with a higher budget, get a boat that will require less work? $250K?

Last edited:
Live aboard

A $100k GB 36 is going to be a 40 year old boat. Very difficult to insure. And it’s probably going to require a lot of time and money. How much boating experience do you have? What are your skill sets? How much room do you need?

Go to see Tollycraft boats... what ever size, model, power train you prefer. Hell o' good designs, very well built boats. Usually quite affordable cost!

Good Luck!

Somewhat late to this thread, however, with you being in the Northwest I'd look at a Tollycraft 44 CPMY, Great interior with a huge salon, aft main cabin, galley with a dinette and topside a spacious sundeck. Built in Washington State so your searches should find boats for sale.

Good luck

NO teak decks. I will repeat that again, NO teak exterior teak deck. If they dont leak now, they will leak in the near future.
It would be better if there was no exterior teak.
You buy a boat, you will automatically have more friends. It would be nice to make them comfortable but not too comfortable or they wont leave.
Storage or lack of storage is a major problem especially if you have company.
I am retired to I can live out of one drawer and 2 ft of closet space. my girlfriend 3 drawers 1/2 of the closet and would gladly take the entire closet and still want more.
Fridge; 12vt big as will fill the hole.
I wish you would reconsider the generator.... My NL with sound shield... I barely hear it and have been know to forget it is running. Run it to charge your batteries then shut it down.
Inverters requires lots of batteries. Batteries require lots of space.
The idea of living off solar panels, lots of space for panels, again lots of batteries to store the 12vt
You failed to mention microwave. Inverter + batteries. LOL We have been spoiled since the invention of the microwave.
Yes, you can upgrade you main engine altenator. Then you may have to added additional 'stuff' that can can break when you are a distance from a parts store.

Last edited:
MY RULES (YMMV)

1. No teak decks (fewer leaks)
2. No Gassers (fewer explosions)
3. Fiberglass (less sinking)
4. Little to no brightwork (less work)
5. Enough space and amenities to be comfortable in the manner in which you expect to live. (More joy)
6. For me, "Drinks 6, Feeds 4, Sleeps 2" works very well.
7. It makes the wife happy! (Happy life)

Result: Everytime you look at her, you smile!

MY RULES (YMMV)

1. No teak decks (fewer leaks)
2. No Gassers (fewer explosions)
3. Fiberglass (less sinking)
4. Little to no brightwork (less work)
5. Enough space and amenities to be comfortable in the manner in which you expect to live. (More joy)
6. For me, "Drinks 6, Feeds 4, Sleeps 2" works very well.
7. It makes the wife happy! (Happy life)

Result: Everytime you look at her, you smile!

You cruise SF bay middle of today, Mon 8/15?

Well, I do have the teak deck, but the rest all works. Can't have everything I know.

But I do have a covered slip - :)

If you would be interested in a 38’ steel Diesel Duck you can reach out to me. It’s a great liveaboard and easily single handed. Mark. dallfun@gmail.com. (650)5046004

This is a great thread

I have been a liveaboard for the last 20 years, and I am also a full time remote software engineer for the last 15. My first boat I lived on was a 1964 Tollycraft 27. It was a great "little big boat" but was always in a covered slip. She was a total project boat, re-everything from stem to stern. I still have her!
I was lucky enough to find a 1990 Bayliner 4588 that was not a fixer upper. It was in need of some upgrades which I have done. For just me, the 45 gallon holding tank is good for 6 to 8 weeks between pumpouts ( I pee over the side).
I have spent a lot of time reworking the storage spaces to make them more usable, from the factory they do a lousy job in design!
If I was going solar, I would replace the canvas on the flybridge with a full hardtop and put the panels there. Either a lot of work or NOT CHEAP!

Transient status will usually buy you up to 30 days but you need to be aware that there are some marina’s that won’t allow you to do more than 3 nights. These are usually in big cities like Seattle and Vancouver. They allow your boat to stay but not necessary allow you to stay on the boat. I am adamantly against this policy but have seen liveaboards run afoul of it by accident.
If you can abide by the 3 or 4 night rule for a few months, you may be able to get around it after the get to know you, realize you are not a "trash" liveaboard, and demonstrate you are ready, willing, and able to follow the rules (like them seeing you regularly pumpout). This is how I got started as a liveaboard. they may want you to pay a surcharge when you transition. If you go looking for a liveaboard slip, many that might accept what I did will say no up front. You may want to see if you can talk to some of the tenants, that is what I did.

If it was just me and she was ever available I would buy back the first catamaran I built in a heartbeat

Single Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke had her motoring around 8 knots in flat water
And if you worked her and piled on the sail, she would pretty much do windspeed up to about 15knots
Then you had to start getting sail off dramatically.

I logged around 40,000 nm on her mostly single handed before selling her in New Caledonia.
Arguably the best boat I ever had.

Attachments

• 002 - Copy.jpg
    002 - Copy.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom