Old 02-22-2020, 04:45 AM   #1

City: Gold Coast
Vessel Name: ShipShape
Vessel Model: Clipper 30
YouTube Trawler Channels

Hi All
There are literally hundreds of sailing channels on YouTube but I can't find many trawler related channels. Apart from "Winty", which is a great resource, I'm looking for help to locate channels where i can get tips on trawler maintenance and operation.

Aussie Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:34 AM   #2
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I'll be interested in this too. Millennial Sailors figured out that if they produce a relatively quality product they can eek out a meager living via Patreon gifts. The rest of YouTube amateur videos channels (powerboats included) are mostly stream of consciousness where they just turn on the camera and start babbling without an outline or script.

That said, I've watched a couple videos from MV Dirona (nordhavn owner) that were incredibly interesting from a technical perspective. Where guys like that find the time to do what they do is amazing to me. His attention to detail is amazing. Makes me want to grab a beer and take a break.

A non-boat specific YouTube channel with crossover appeal to me for mechanical reasons is Project Farm. He has about 900k subscribers and does mostly comparison videos like this one on whether synthetic oil will blow seals in an old diesel.

https://youtu.be/Pa4RwsiZUmI

mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #3

City: Wimauma, FL, East Rockaway, NY
Vessel Name: Knot sew Fast
Vessel Model: Pearson Portsmouth
Here's a few that I follow. Some building, some maintenance, and some travelogues.
Brupeg, Six Points Wood Work (building a George Buehler Diesel Duck), Cruising Sea Venture, The On Board Life, Aboard Mermaid Monster, M/V Cassidy. Check em out and enjoy!
chiropaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
‘Tulsa’s Endless Summer” starts out as a trawler video. It eventually turns into a sailing video.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Port Hope
Seattleboatguy did a series of videos on doing the great loop in a Marine Trader 38. I found them to be interesting and enjoyable.
John R M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #6

City: Long Beach
Vessel Name: Checkmate
Vessel Model: GB 42
+1 for “Winty”. He has some good tips on Ford Lehman service as well as general maintenance.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Searching for C-shels is really good. They are in a mid 40’ aft Cabin Tollycraft.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #8

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
A couple more which I enjoy: MV Freedom and Travels with Geordie.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #9

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Searching for C-shels is really good. They are in a mid 40’ aft Cabin Tollycraft.
Sheldon had an emergency heart episode and then they disappeared for last few months from all of their social media platforms . I fear the worst
Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #10
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 28 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I follow the MV Freedom folks on their 40 + Nordhavn. They are out cruising the Washington waters. They had another boat more in the Express Cruiser vein before their current boat. They moved onto this boat roughly 5 months ago. Their plan is to eventually do long range cruising.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBi...oA217lkkj04mvg

I second Travels with Geordie but usually it is more about restoring two Monks he and she own. They are out and about now and have posted some nice Salish Sea cruising:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzj...uWNznwIfQdqt1w

If you are relatively "local" you'll enjoy his beer of the week at the end of each of his videos.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
Sheldon had an emergency heart episode and then they disappeared for last few months from all of their social media platforms . I fear the worst

I have been in touch with Sheldon since his last videos. About a month ago if memory serves. The boat is on the hard in FL. He is pretty much ok now...
Old 08-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #12
Guru

There was a couple cruising the Bahamas and down to Mexico aboard Grand Banks 42. They had converted from sail and had a couple kids. Boat was stabilized as I recall. Decent website too. For the life of me, I can't remember their names and can't find them online. Any ideas?
Old 08-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Hobe Sound FL
Vessel Name: CORISANDE
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 43
Maybe BUMFUZZLE? They went around the world in a sailing cat, and now have a GB.
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
I think the MV Freedom channel is pretty well done. I subscribe to that along with several other that are more on the sailing side.
Although not a trawler channel, for those that are interested in wooden boat building I have been a Patrion of Sampson Boat Works channel with an English guy rebuilding a 110' classic sailing yawl called Tally Ho. Wonderful work and very inspiring to watch. He's up in the PNW. You can't help but learn a lot watching them work.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-...hBnDSay7nmphUA

If you are interested in superyachts, esysmen is very good.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sevenseasvoyager

I don't watch regular TV anymore, there is plenty of interesting content on Youtube to keep me interested.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:48 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldwin View Post
Maybe BUMFUZZLE? They went around the world in a sailing cat, and now have a GB.
Thanks. That's the one. Looks like their blog has been kept up go date. Not their YouTube channel. They are good writers so fine by me.

Thanks Maldwin
Old 08-08-2020, 12:19 PM   #16

City: Ajax
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarden View Post
I think the MV Freedom channel is pretty well done. I subscribe to that along with several other that are more on the sailing side.
Although not a trawler channel, for those that are interested in wooden boat building I have been a Patrion of Sampson Boat Works channel with an English guy rebuilding a 110' classic sailing yawl called Tally Ho. Wonderful work and very inspiring to watch. He's up in the PNW. You can't help but learn a lot watching them work.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-...hBnDSay7nmphUA

If you are interested in superyachts, esysmen is very good.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sevenseasvoyager

I don't watch regular TV anymore, there is plenty of interesting content on Youtube to keep me interested.
Samson Boat works. I have just finished binge watching that show from the beginning and waiting for the new ones. Futtocks, Trunnels, and Fashion pieces.... who knew?

The quality of work and Leo's explanations are amazing.
BailMeOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #17
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailMeOut View Post
The quality of work and Leo's explanations are amazing.

I watch it too... As an amateur woodworker I am fascinated by it. However, what I am totally enthralled by is Leo's materials handling ability. He has had to move, manage, cut, reposition, lift, spin, and manipulate these HUGE pieces of wood. His ingenuity in setting up the tools he has to manage this, often times solo, makes it look effortless.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #18
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
You know, it's funny, I regularly watch several YouTube sailing channels, Tula's Endless Summer, SV Delos, Project Atticus and Millennial Falcon are my favorites and I've tried to watch a few trawler channels but they've all been kind of meh at best.

I'm not sure why this is, as I I'm not a sailor and never really have been. I think it may be because the sailing channels go to much more exotic destinations and the people on the sailing channels do more exciting stuff. I'm not interested in just watching the boating, it's the freediving, fishing, spearing, hiking, surfing, kiting, etc. that draws me in. I also enjoy the boat work. No trawler channels seem to do those things.

I tried Mermaid Monster but found the woman to be obnoxious and they just reek of trust fund kids paying their way around the Eastern Seaboard with few skills of their own. Searching for C-Shells got boring very quickly for me.

I sponsor four or five sailing channels through my company as marketing, but I haven't found a trawler channel yet that I'd consider sponsoring. I'd like to find a good one, I'm just not sure one exists.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post

I tried Mermaid Monster but found the woman to be obnoxious and they just reek of trust fund kids paying their way around the Eastern Seaboard with few skills of their own. Searching for C-Shells got boring very quickly for me.
I tried Mermaid Monster and also found the woman obnoxious and the kids a bit bratty as well. It's a shame since it has good potential. SVDelos is certainly not as fun as it was before the baby but I still drop in from time to time. Same goes for Ran Sailing which I very much enjoyed, especially when they were up in Alaska. They are doing ok with the baby onboard but are limited now to where they go. I have been following Sailing La Vagabond for years since they are usually in exciting places and I think they are both pretty charming and do a good job on their videos and I like the free-diving and spear fishing portions. It was also fun to watch them learn to sail from novices to now being pretty competent.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Phuket
Vessel Name: TeoraTera
Vessel Model: Selene 80
Just watched Mermaid Monster videos, for parents who envisage home schooling on their boat with the potential second wave of Covid 19, it is interesting. I guess the cruising limitations due to the Covid has significantly changed their plans and it is now difficult to keep up with the interesting videos not being able to cruise to real adventurous destinations.

CaptainSEA is offline   Reply With Quote