YouTube Trawler Channels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is on YouTube but maybe isn’t a channel. And it is sailing not power and may be cliche. But I love it for the glimpse back to the early 1950s. Seeing things that were untouched but no longer are. Recognizing the size of our footprint.

https://youtu.be/g_RHHIV4u1k

A couple more which I enjoy: MV Freedom and Travels with Geordie.
I like the MV Freedom also. Very interesting for Puget sound and i am surprised at how well they edit there videos.

I have tried watching MV Freedom and it simply bores me. Maybe a bit better since they bought the Nordhaven, but still a hard pass.

One channel that I liked a lot for the northern Puget Sound and San Juans was MV Jolly Mon. He has since sold his boat but his videos are a great way to get cruising ideas in this area. Not professional, but videos by a boater that used and enjoyed his boat in ways similar to most of us.

I have tried watching MV Freedom and it simply bores me. Maybe a bit better since they bought the Nordhaven, but still a hard pass.

One channel that I liked a lot for the northern Puget Sound and San Juans was MV Jolly Mon. He has since sold his boat but his videos are a great way to get cruising ideas in this area. Not professional, but videos by a boater that used and enjoyed his boat in ways similar to most of us.

I watched a few of the MV Jolly Mon videos. They were interesting, especially as we are heading to the San Juan's on Friday morning. Not the slickest videos for sure, but good honest content that was very watchable. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jollymon did sell his 28, but did not get out of boating. He now has a more roomy 34 Tolly. We were all sad to see the 28 Tolly move on to its new owner after so many adventure miles. My dog Nessie got some air time on Wallace a few years back.

Try MV Dirona Couple with Nordhavn 52--World travel--Lots of interesting maintenance videos.

Jollymon did sell his 28, but did not get out of boating. He now has a more roomy 34 Tolly. We were all sad to see the 28 Tolly move on to its new owner after so many adventure miles. My dog Nessie got some air time on Wallace a few years back.

Good to know. Thanks. I'm glad to know that someone that obviously loved using his boat as much as he did is still on the water.

This isn't address to anyone in particular....but more to everyone.....

What do you want to see in a boating video channel? Most focus mostly on the destinations, activities and the "adventure". Some talk a bit about operating a boat including navigation, route planning, etc. And some talk about boat maintenance, upgrades, and repairs.

What mix are you looking for?

What do you want to see in a boating video channel? Most focus mostly on the destinations, activities and the "adventure". Some talk a bit about operating a boat including navigation, route planning, etc. And some talk about boat maintenance, upgrades, and repairs.

I like a bit of everything, because boating requires everything - it's real life and not a movie after all.

My childhood dream was to sail around the world. These folks are (trying) to live the dream, but covid...

Nahoa got me started and I have watched every one. I really enjoy The O'Kelly's. Sailing with the Wynn's is growing on me. Delos wasn't doing it for me, but maybe I didn't give it time to grow on me. Sad to hear there is not a good trawler-tube.

Sad to hear there is not a good trawler-tube.

I think MV Freedom has the chance to turn into just that. The couple, to lazy to check their names out, have moved onto their Nordhavn and their intent is to do some serious long distance cruising in it - why they got the Nordhavn. They have been bouncing around in the San Juans but I believe they are under going a bit of a test run down to Oregon and back to the San Juans. I do know they did go up part of the West Coast of Vancouver Island and encounter sea sickness so I'm curious how that issue is going to go with their Oregon trip. The swells off of Oregon aren't fun and many sailboaters when heading south will often go off the Oregon coast about a hundred miles to avoid the swell.

Cruising lifestyle that is approachable. The stuff I've found are either Nordhavn fanatics doing infomercials for their boat, or some sort of well-intended but lame attempt to describe a destination. It's the modern day version of sitting through a slide presentation of Uncle Joe's summer vacation. For example, people with kids love to show their kids and try to show some semblance of being a responsible parent. Good for the grandparents, but has limited use for anyone wondering how kids adapt to cruising. Another example is people who do simple tick-tock travelogues vs finding ways to celebrate the essence of the a location the way good travel writers do.

That said, the Dirona guy is pretty amazing (Mad Professor coiffe helps). Definitely the gold standard for maintenance while cruising videos.

Someone in this thread mentioned the Fleming videos. I watched a couple and while they weren't very well organized in some ways, I found they struck a decent balance of boat vs destination. Their trip around Iceland was well presented and gave me a nice view of a desolate area and got me thinking about just how to tackle a trip like that. Very little discussion a out the boat.

Pet peeves are wind noise, rambling monologues, cult-like worship of a boat.

Capture the lifestyle which is seemingly hard to do well.

Peter

I’ve been following Onboard Lifestyle and Salt and Tar.

All of the above. Which is not easy to do while being entertaining or interesting. If the video does not entertain, or is not interesting, then no viewers.

For us, Delos has found a good mix. Sometimes it is not so interesting to us, and sometimes we have been shocked that the places they visited WERE interesting to us in spite of our previous opinions. They do seem to get a mix of the all of the above though they seem to lean towards the more social and travel aspect of cruising. Having said that, they do have some very interesting shows on equipement, installation, repair etc.

Delos has quite a bit of content on the social scene which one could argue is the simplest to video but I think it is really what they do, and in the end, they are pretty much documenting in video, their life on the boat. Since much of it is meeting new people and going to parties, that is what is shown. The travel is interesting to us, the parties, not so much.

I have read criticism about the videos of their baby, and there is another channel we watch with a baby, but we find those videos interesting, and sometimes funny, even though we are not gong to have more children. How they handle diapers was interesting and how they are going to deal with a toddler starting to gain mobility is going to be interesting.

We FINALLY caught up on the Delos videos, we have been months behind them but the lock down has allowed us to catch up which allows us to watch more of other people's channels. Now we are watching Patrick Laine videos which is about a retired pilot, solo sailing around Europe and the Atlantic. I like his videos because he shows what went well and and what did not. He is not afraid to post his failures or mistakes. He spends quite a bit of time showing his sail setup, under what conditions and weather/route planning.

What is a bit odd is that he does not really show video on the places he visits. He does not seem to spend more than a day or three at some/most locations before moving on. He has passed through areas at a very fast pace, that we have spent a couple of weeks traveling through and we felt we had moved too quickly through those places. Furthermore, if we had not been moving to a vacation schedule, we could spend months, if not years in these areas. It appears that he likes the passage more than the destination. He also has a sense of humor we like. :D

We watch more YouTube videos, mostly history and boat related, than regular TV. Regular TV is just trash and we gave up on paying for cable trash years ago. Youtube just has far better content than TV. Some people don't like the boat video bloggers, and many times I think it is jealousy that the vloggers have figured out away to fund their boating lifestyle but many of these boaters provide much better content for free compared to TV shows, that cost a fortune if one pays for cable TV.

Later,
Dan

Last edited:
Here is a channel with a family of 4 on Grand Banks 42 in the Caribbean. Definitely not a high production channel, just short videos of various things where they just pick up a camera or phone. They probably could make some great content because of their location and boat. In one video they were running with a steadying sail and I wish they would have commented on when they find it useful. I am a GB42 fan so this channel is probably of more interest to me than most.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7qFCXJ32kIaiswE2ZP8DCQ

The best trawler videos I have seen are done by Tony Fleming, founder of Fleming Yachts. He has a series about cruising the inside passage to SE Alaska and beyond. Also, cruising around Vancouver Island and up the Columbia River. He does all the camera work and the editing and you would think you were watching a National Geographic show. He has one episode where he shows how he edits his work. Very interesting if you ever thought about trying it yourself. There are a few promotional videos for Fleming Yachts on the channel but you don't have to watch those unless interested.

You are spot on here. Tony Fleming's videos, in quality and content, remind me of Jacque Cousteau scuba diving videos I watched religiously as a child. This work is a level above the rest of the pack.

I aspire to make and publish videos on YouTube, but I am simply not interesting and I have no background in nor understand of videography or weaving stories. Reality is harsh.

MV Freedom - we Cruise the PacNW so it’s nice to get another perspective. Isn’t find them boring; they are well produced. I find Cruising Sea Venture charming; to a slick production but real people sharing travel experiences on a live aboard trawler. Finally, IMO, Mermaid Monster tries too hard to be “relevant” and “insightful”; nice couple, nice boat, cute family but to me mostly about them and not about cruising, the boat, or the destinations. Given the plethora of channels (mostly sail) I’ll stick with Freedom and Sea Venture plus daydreaming while watching Dennison Yacht Sales videos.

My wife and I enjoy MV Freedom videos for a few reasons. They make it look "easy". They have a really REALLY nice trawler. And the husband is an engineer, and the wife isn't (me=engineer, my wife=isn't)

Really nicely produced and they are very neat and organized. I even think we learn something about relationships aboard watching their youtube channel!

Fleming videos are my number one, unfortunately he is down to repackaging the same footage in different ways, would love to see some new trips.

This one is diverting, especially for those who might like to do the Great Loop some day, "Boating Adventures" Great Loop playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB2k9YXLNsQhrbMSTFAYtYdEsYPa7b6N1

I found it charming and very informative, one reason being, at the time their two boys were similar age to my kids now. The four of them were on a Defever 44. Unfortunately the video quality is low because the original footage was taken using a VHS camera (2001-2002) and then more recently made into a travelogue, but a fun watch anyhow.

Then there is Technomadia. They have a Bayliner 4788 and they were doing the Loop but I think they've hit the pause button because of pandemic issues. I personally became bored with it but they have a lot of followers. What I do appreciate about them is their relative expertise on modern technology such as internet access while traveling on a boat, learned some pointers.

I have to admit that I watch Sailing Zatara. It is a Texas family sailing the world full time except for brief winter breaks, on a large cat. Hard to put a label on it, I am no "reality TV" fan usually but they have enough boating stuff to keep me engaged, the father does have a lot of good commentary about some of the challenges of maintenance, live aboard and voyaging economics etc. in between his speechmaking on his libertarian outlook on life. Plus I have met them in person and they do seem like wonderful people. They connect up with the Wynns in several episodes and there is crossover on their channel.

Last edited:
I watch most of the videos mentioned here. I agree that there are not many/any power/trawler oriented videos that I like as much as Delos, Wynns, and some other sailing ones. Mermaid Monster would seem to have had the most potential but I agree with others that the couple is annoying and they don't strike me as particularly competent boater. I watch everything Dirona does on the Nordhavn 52 since they are so knowledgeable but their videos are pretty few and far between and mostly technical.

To answer Twisted's question, I like to be emerged in the cruising experience... the passages, arriving at new and different destinations, and feeling like I'm on the boat. I also really like the boat work/maintenance stuff and technical explanations of repairs, improvements, navigations, boat handling, etc.. I don't like travelog and shoreside excursion stuff so much.

I will mention on powerboater channel that I do find entertaining that hasn't been mentioned. Trying Not To Sink. A couple on a 58 Hatteras MY. Their cruising isn't that impressive. Mostly ICW to FL and a little Bahamas. They are sort of a hot mess but seem fun and like feeling like I'm along for the ride.

Cruising Sea Venture

We are posting videos of our trawler cruising - Cruising Sea Venture, if you are interested.

We have posted our travels from Washington to Alaska, along with refit videos, electrical upgrades videos, etc.

The original plan was to cruise down to Mexico this fall, but Covid killed those plans. Not wanting to just hang around, we were, with permission from Canadian Customs, allowed to transit to Alaska this summer where we cruised - mostly by ourselves.

We are currently in Wrangell Alaska having a bulbous bow added to Sea Venture, then we will try something I have not found anyone else doing, and certainly not on YouTube doing - cruising in Alaska throughout the winter.

I've added a link to our latest video below.

Any suggestions on how to improve the videos, what we should include, etc., is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim and Rosy

Really enjoying your channel, tech and travel. Very interested in your bulbous bow project. I remember in the book "Cruising Under Power" the author installed one then removed it. Cant remember why. Sea Venture is becoming an amazing boat. Your doing fantastic projects. Thank you for sharing.

+1 on Cruising Sea Venture and MV Freedom.

Enjoy Mermaid Monster but becoming less about boating and more hiking with the kids.

I’m really enjoying the Western Flyer Restoration videos. It’s not about travel , but If you like woodworking and boats like I do this is a great series. They have almost thirty videos of the project.

Have enjoyed Trying Not to Sink on their 65 Hatteras. Nicely done and good mix of cruising and technical.

We are posting videos of our trawler cruising - Cruising Sea Venture, if you are interested.

We have posted our travels from Washington to Alaska, along with refit videos, electrical upgrades videos, etc.

The original plan was to cruise down to Mexico this fall, but Covid killed those plans. Not wanting to just hang around, we were, with permission from Canadian Customs, allowed to transit to Alaska this summer where we cruised - mostly by ourselves.

We are currently in Wrangell Alaska having a bulbous bow added to Sea Venture, then we will try something I have not found anyone else doing, and certainly not on YouTube doing - cruising in Alaska throughout the winter.

I've added a link to our latest video below.

Any suggestions on how to improve the videos, what we should include, etc., is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim and Rosy

I am a subscriber. Love your videos since it shows me what the PNW is like. So different than West coast of Florida! I really like the tech talks since you are so good at laying things out logically. I am really looking forward to seeing you guys get somewhere warm :dance:

I watch most of the videos mentioned here. I agree that there are not many/any power/trawler oriented videos that I like as much as Delos, Wynns, and some other sailing ones. Mermaid Monster would seem to have had the most potential but I agree with others that the couple is annoying and they don't strike me as particularly competent boater. I watch everything Dirona does on the Nordhavn 52 since they are so knowledgeable but their videos are pretty few and far between and mostly technical.

To answer Twisted's question, I like to be emerged in the cruising experience... the passages, arriving at new and different destinations, and feeling like I'm on the boat. I also really like the boat work/maintenance stuff and technical explanations of repairs, improvements, navigations, boat handling, etc.. I don't like travelog and shoreside excursion stuff so much.

I will mention on powerboater channel that I do find entertaining that hasn't been mentioned. Trying Not To Sink. A couple on a 58 Hatteras MY. Their cruising isn't that impressive. Mostly ICW to FL and a little Bahamas. They are sort of a hot mess but seem fun and like feeling like I'm along for the ride.

Channels like MV Dirona and Sailing Cloudy Bay don’t appear to be pursuing crowd-funding sources like Patreon, PayPal and YouTube for income, they produce a video when they have something interesting to share, more a quality instead of quantity scenario, unlike many of the regular weekly channels.

Your videos are great. Don't change a thing. Keep it about beautiful journeys on the boat with interesting tidbits on equipment and maintenance thrown in.

Whatever you do...do not turn into clickbait - "SHIPWRECKED! We nearly sunk our boat!" When I watch the video I find out you really just bumped the dock with your dinghy. I immediately unsubscribe to any channel that starts doing that.

Your videos are great. Don't change a thing. Keep it about beautiful journeys on the boat with interesting tidbits on equipment and maintenance thrown in.

Whatever you do...do not turn into clickbait - "SHIPWRECKED! We nearly sunk our boat!" When I watch the video I find out you really just bumped the dock with your dinghy. I immediately unsubscribe to any channel that starts doing that.

I agree, it's becoming a little silly.

Also resist the impulse to show off your bikini lines on the video thumbnails like Gone with the Wynns etc. Especially Jim :rofl:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom