Old 10-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #61

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
If using your trawler during inclement weather counts... I stay aboard every Friday night , rain or wind at our marina in LaConner, WA all year long. I feel like, if I visit the boat, stay aboard, operate the systems and use her... she stays healthy. At 41 years old, leaks can pop up any time and a visit once a week, helps me keep ahead of problems. Besides that... I love being on the boat, weather be damned (I know, easy to say when your tied securely to a good dock with the shore power plugged in).

Dave

Old 10-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #62
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I much prefer aimed at waves rather then them hitting me from the side or stern. Prefer pitching over rolling.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:08 PM   #63
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Yes, travel in the rain, and snow, and sleet, and hail, and even on occasion sunshine.

My limits relate to wind. If it is really windy and if that wind is going to be against the current, then Iíll stay at anchor or at the dock.
Ditto! at 28 feet, 2' seas and over is check mate.
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:21 PM   #64
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
Krogen 42
Will keep an eye open for you as you pass Pond Reef, North of Ketchikan. Have those large Chinese benocks, so don't be pissing overboard on the SB side!!!

Have a safe trip Stripper, if you need anything in K-Town, give me a shout
907-225-8287

Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:38 AM   #65
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Yes, but at 3' I haven't ever found one that would make me stay in. Maybe if it was 3' at 1/2 second. I've seen some 3' Chesapeake Chop that was a bit rough but even that wouldn't keep me in.
That depends on the boat, now doesn't it?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #66
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Wifey B: Yes, but at 3' and then someone mentioned 2', I'm shocked that one has an issue with any boat. I see why so many never run outside the ICW. Our RIB's handle 3' at any period I've encountered without a problem.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #67

City: Camp Lejeune
Vessel Name: Lucky Star
Vessel Model: 50' Marine Trader
Don't judge. Ours is not a blue water boat. 3 foot waves on a river is kinda high. We will wait until it calms down.
201807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #68
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201807 View Post
Don't judge. Ours is not a blue water boat. 3 foot waves on a river is kinda high. We will wait until it calms down.
Wifey B: I'm wondering if all of you are judging wave height correctly. It is the difference between the crest and the trough. That means a 3' wave is only 1.5' above a calm sea or flat water surface.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #69
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
and the skill and experience of the Captain and crew.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #70
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I’m a bit surprised at the mention of 2 or 3 foot wave limits. That would discount 98% of the year for boating around here.

I just had a look at the weather over the next 7 days. Waves constantly over 4 feet and up to 11 feet. Still planning a couple days trips. Too rolly for anchoring out in most nearby spots though.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #71
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Stacked 3 footers on the nose on the Pamlico Sound, for instance, or San Pablo Bay for another, will A) keep 98% of the boats in the marina that might otherwise go out. B) even in a bigger boat, like ramming into a 3 foot berm every few seconds. There's a reason you don't see many if any boats out on an otherwise nice sunny day in June with those conditions. I know, I have taken a hull count many times when we were one of the 2%. Not so much a matter of captain and crew skill, but of their tolerance, given how their boat reacts to those conditions. And as one of my favorite borrowed sayings go "the true sign of a captain with superior seamanship skills is he avoids putting himself in the position of having to use them". Boaters who avoid conditions they don't like to deal with have my respect.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Boaters who avoid conditions they don't like to deal with have my respect.
Wifey B: I totally agree with that and if any of the 2' or 3' conditions bother them, they shouldn't go out. I'm just a bit shocked to hear people say they don't go out in 2' or 3'. It wouldn't eliminate 98% for us as it does for AusCan but would eliminate at least 60% of our boating.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #73
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Wifey B: I totally agree with that and if any of the 2' or 3' conditions bother them, they shouldn't go out. I'm just a bit shocked to hear people say they don't go out in 2' or 3'. It wouldn't eliminate 98% for us as it does for AusCan but would eliminate at least 60% of our boating.
Depends on the area.

If the wind is strong enough to pile up 3’ waves in a twisting, narrow waterway with sections of short fetch, they are going to be steep and closely packed. We get conditions like that a lot and spray goes over the pilothouse when punching into it, and going beam to is definitely a bad idea.

Also, brackish or fresh water piles up faster and steeper.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #74

City: Gustavus, AK
Vessel Name: Troll Hunter
Vessel Model: Allweather
Rain, fog, even snow probably wouldn't stop us in our Allweather. Depending on where we want to go and the wind direction we would avoid beam seas. Our little boat is quite seaworthy but it bobs around like a cork and has a roll that can hurt you if you are not holding on. We are planning a last outing before hauling out for the winter in the next few days, temps in the 30's to low 40's and wet.
ak-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #75
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Iím a bit surprised at the mention of 2 or 3 foot wave limits. That would discount 98% of the year for boating around here.

I just had a look at the weather over the next 7 days. Waves constantly over 4 feet and up to 11 feet. Still planning a couple days trips. Too rolly for anchoring out in most nearby spots though.

It all has to do with the level of comfort. My wife really doesn't like getting tossed around, so her tolerance isn't as high as mine. Even so, I'd just as soon not have quartering waves that might spill my coffee.

The other issue is the boat. You have a motor sailor. In my sailboat, I don't ever recall even considering the seas before heading out. First of all, a bit of sail and 6' keel does wonders for the ride. Secondly, I think expectations are a bit different in a sailboat. Seas that were exhilarating in the sailboat are simply no fun in the power boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #76
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
A lot also depends on wave direction. Was out in Albemarle sound and the Alligator river on Saturday. 2 hours in 2 to 3' beams seas with three 4 to 5' waves every couple of minutes just to make you hate the sounds of NC, was enough to make anyone miserable. Once I was in the Alligator river, winds picked up to 35 knots. Wind fetch was short enough to only yield 2' seas and white foam. It was so miserable that I had a 40' sailboat use me as a wind block down the Alligator and through the Alligator Pungo canal. 30 miles with a sailboat 300' off your beam and a$$, using you as a wind block.

You haven't been beaten until you do 4' plus short chop on the beam, in the sounds of NC.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #77
Guru

Wifey B: A few posts now on beam seas. One thing I've learned is that many trawlers and full displacement boats perform very poorly in such seas. This would definitely be an area type boat comes into play. As we have planing and semi-planing hulls, we're able to match speed to waves and also to go wider routes to hit beam seas at better angles and don't experience the same issues in beam seas of the height discussed. Plus we are stablized.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:39 PM   #78
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
People talk a lot about beam seas. Try quartering them, tack port and starboard at regular intervals so as to maintain the desired course.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #79
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Wifey B: A few posts now on beam seas. One thing I've learned is that many trawlers and full displacement boats perform very poorly in such seas. This would definitely be an area type boat comes into play. As we have planing and semi-planing hulls, we're able to match speed to waves and also to go wider routes to hit beam seas at better angles and don't experience the same issues in beam seas of the height discussed. Plus we are stablized.
Kind of tough to do when you need to stay in a channel as opposed to running aground or surfing through a field of crab pot markers. Certainly the mundane express lane of the ocean offers you those advantages. For those of us who are all about the scenery of the journey as opposed to the destination, we endure the bumps and potholes of the road less traveled.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #80
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
OldDan. Easy to do in south Biscayne Bay, more difficult in many areas in the ICW.

Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote