Where is no go for this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@OldDan1943: yes, we do have similar systems like Yachtcontroller; it basically does the same things as your Dockmaster, I suppose. And I agree, I don't think anyone will have issues with me answering with general information, but given the fact that I work for the shipyard, (in sales even), I just want to avoid any suspicion of active commercial sales in this thread;just here to clarify your questions.

@sunchaser: yes, for our larger models (>40ft) we offer provisions or complete installations for so called Magnus Master Stabilisers; rotating arms that fold out from underneath the hull and will rotate in the opposite direction of the waves to stabilize the vessel with the so calles magnus effect for a smooth ride. Owners that have them istalled are very pleased with the system.
And we have installed Perkins Sabre many decades ago, but we have now choosen a different (and very large) brand as the standard engine for future boats. It will be announced on our YouTube channel on February 4th. Can't spill it yet, sorry! :) In general, this new brand will be our standard engine for the future in our largers models because we built in series and changing the engine(s) requires different foundations and shaft+prop/gearbox configuration. For us, a holy trinity that should work together as a clockwork, so changing one means changing all. Nevertheless, we can always discuss alternative engine configurations on request, of course.

@SeeVee: I must admit I was not aware of the poor support of Volvo in the US; it seems they have their main focus on the EU-market since we (and the majority of the EU customers) are very pleased with them. But one simply can't please everyone and I guess every brand has their fans and haters and the markets are very different too; there are several US brands that hardly have any market share over here, but it's all about finding the middle way. And I hope we just found it! :)

@phillippeterson: since you are the starter of this topic, please let me have your contact details in a PM and I will send you some general information via postal services. (that goes for all of you BTW, even if you are not buying, they make very impressive books for the coffee table!) And you mentioned you would like to see one for yourself, so you are cordially invited to our shipyard for a full tour! I realize it is not around the corner, but these kind of investments require some hard thinking and a little effort, to fulfill ones dream, right?

Hi captains!

I was just curious, has anyone seen our announcement on YouTube yesterday? Our bigger yachts (>40 foot) will have Mercury diesel engines in the future, since the Volvo D3 will be discontinued.

I look forward to your reactions on this, since many of you were not keen on Volvo.

Cheers, Rennie from the Linssen shipyard

It would be nice if you gave us the URL

It would be nice if you gave us the URL

Maybe he's not allowed to post a URL since he is a dealer. But, as just an old man common folk, I can.

The boats can be found at Linssen Yachts - Home

And the YouTube he is referring to is

And for my two cents worth - the Mercury Marine diesel should be just fine. That said, my opinion should be taken with a large grain of salt since I also think Volvo diesels (which were previously in the Linssen) were good engines. I know Hallberg-Rassy uses them. They would, of course, because they are both Swedish.

If I recall correctly, a CE-B rating is coastal soooo out 250miles from the coast, weather dependent.

Hi OldDan,

your tug can also be found with the same CE-B rating, delivered to Europe, I have seen one for sale from a broker in Denmark. The NT37 also has a CE-B in which small changes were made to raise the air intake opening to increase the engine room so that water does not enter inside a particular boat tilt angle about 45°.

NBs

The Mercury diesel seems like a good choice to me. The big diesel players just don't have much for small diesels other than maybe Yanmar. And at least in the US, Mercury has a good parts and service network (although many will be used to their gas engines that are extremely common in smaller boats).

The Mercury diesel seems like a good choice to me. The big diesel players just don't have much for small diesels other than maybe Yanmar. And at least in the US, Mercury has a good parts and service network (although many will be used to their gas engines that are extremely common in smaller boats).

I understand it is a forced change, but in the builder's area, Volvo definitely had a higher recognition and respect level than Mercury. I don't know of another builder using Mercury Diesels. However, I'd think the presence of Mercury as an outboard manufacturer should provide some reassurance to customers.

I also wonder if the move by Volvo gives pause to any of the other builders they've worked so hard to make deals with over the last few years.

I understand it is a forced change, but in the builder's area, Volvo definitely had a higher recognition and respect level than Mercury. I don't know of another builder using Mercury Diesels. However, I'd think the presence of Mercury as an outboard manufacturer should provide some reassurance to customers.

I also wonder if the move by Volvo gives pause to any of the other builders they've worked so hard to make deals with over the last few years.

The Mercury diesels are definitely much less common than Volvos. But Mercury as an OEM engine supplier in general (outboards, sterndrives, and gas inboards) is certainly big enough.

What is the base engine they are using? Does Mercury cast the block and build the entire engine?

Rob

The Mercury TDI is Volkswagen based. The 3.0l is out of a Touareg SUV I think.
Quite a common theme to "marine convert" small vehicle diesel engines now.

What is the base engine they are using? Does Mercury cast the block and build the entire engine?

Rob

Mercury currently offers 3 diesels. A 2.0 liter, a 3.0 liter, and a 6.7 liter. As far as I can determine, the 6.7 is an FPT engine, which is a cousin of the Cummins QSB 6.7. I haven't found much about the lineage of the smaller engines, however.

Looks like a previous post mentioned VW, which would make sense, as they make both a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder diesel and a 3.0 liter V6 diesel (matching up to the smaller Merc offerings).

My understanding is the Mercury builds "relationships" similar to that with Cummins on Zeus or that with Tohatsu and they have relationships with VW and with Fiat. While the 3.0 is from VW, I believe the 6.7 is actually from Fiat, but I may be mistaken. However, they also will have the engines built and adapted to their requirements so they won't tie directly to an auto engine.

Back
Top Bottom