what is an actuator etc ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith c

Vessel Name
Princess M
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34
my mechanic tells me the "actuator" on my ZF trans system is out. What is an actuator and can it be repaired. He has found a new part for $2500. Yanmar 4lha will not start, click etc. Help!

Your mechanic needs to be more specific.
I suspect part of the control system for Fwd., Rvs., Neutral.

If the control system is mechanical or electronic or some mix of the two will make a difference.

But it may not be just that.

Ask him for specifics.

Without knowing the specific transmission, the actuator should be the device that takes either a cable or electronic input and shifts the hydraulic clutching mechanism. I'm surprised it isn't rebuildable if a cable shift.

Ted

The electronic actuator converts signals into mechanical movement. $2500 would not be unreasonable for a proprietary component. Guessing installation would be additional cost.

12V High Force (850 lbs. / 12 in.) Linear Actuator.IP 65 Protection for Industrial, Agriculture Usage. Brushed DC Electric Motor and Stainless-Steel Stroke. Model PA-17-12-850

https://www.amazon.com/Actuator-IP-...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001418745105&psc=1

Sounds pretty unreasonable to me.

Like many things marine that just need an addition bracket for a few dollars manufactured on site.... over a thousand dollars can often be saved. I could certainly adapt this (or similar) for my Borg warner if someone told me the new actuator would cost as much as the whole tranny.

This may not work in this case (plenty more shapes and sizes out there)...but obviously either the $2500 part is very specialized or it is definitely overengineered and over build which is how many companies are making their money nowadays. Or the demand is so low one had to be careful of the products they own and need to repair.

I see it in aviation, marine, automotive, RV......

Last edited:
Since it is a MS as is mine and very pricey, and because the engine start is affected, I am gonna guess there is a ZF Micro Commander or such involved. For that price I am you can have that unreliable POS replaced with a Morse cable system. I sold off the old actuator box to fully pay for the Morse. :)

Since it is a MS as is mine and very pricey, and because the engine start is affected, I am gonna guess there is a ZF Micro Commander or such involved. For that price I am you can have that unreliable POS replaced with a Morse cable system. I sold off the old actuator box to fully pay for the Morse. :)

I agree. The ZF Mather has been nothing but trouble for twenty years. Replace it with cable as suggested or if you have to have electronic, replace with Glendinning.

But I am surprised your engine won't start. Maybe it is a neutral switch which could be in the transmission itself or maybe in the control arm. I would ask your mechanic how the new actuator would solve that problem.

You say the Yanmar 4LH won't start. That implies you have twins. Do both engines not start or just the one with the malfunctioning actuator. Maybe the start neutral switch is part of the actuator.

David

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom