This week's Sinking and Stranding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The picture of the tug made me think it's an old US Army 45 foot ST. A quick search confirms it is. Built by Burger in 1945 and has been with its current owner since 1962.

This is kind of like sitting on Facebook posting random, anonymous funeral notices. What is the point here?

The picture of the tug made me think it's an old US Army 45 foot ST. A quick search confirms it is. Built by Burger in 1945 and has been with its current owner since 1962.
Impressive that you can figure all this out from just the little bit above water!!

Impressive that you can figure all this out from just the little bit above water!!

Searching the name turned up a bunch of info quickly. It also helps that there's one of those older 45 foot STs around locally, so the view of the wheelhouse sticking up caught my eye and made me think "that looks a lot like..."

I sort of get a kick out of the press using numbers as a scare tactic:

IE: 400 gallons of fuel! (every boat at my marina has at least 300 gallons on board)

IE: Investigators found over 1,000 rounds of ammunition at the residence! (Thats two bulk boxes of .22 ammo, just enough for a couple days of target practice, That much ammo sells for about $20.00 at Fleet)

IE: Police found FOUR computers at the house (I have at least that many at my desk counting my phone, laptop, desktop and Ipad)

IE: police found a stash of food to sustain the family for four months! (Ive got that much in my pantry and freezer, I buy my beef as a half a cow, it lasts a year)

IE: It was estimated the car was traveling nearly 100 miles per hour! (Is 65 MPH nearly 100 MPH? thats the legal speed on many highways)

Guess I'm just sick of the exclamation points on the news. I'm presently looking at about 8 inches of fresh snow on my porch. The forecast had called for the "Storm of the century, up to 24 inches of snow"!!)

pete

I agree Pete. With that winter storm coming at least you have that half of cow. If you lose power just take it outside. When I have storms/hurricanes come through, I'm running the generator for a week or two.
Boat sinking are akin to, but maybe not the severity of, planes sudden loss of altitude to the point of contact with the ground, car crashes, train derailment.

I agree with Pete - the media loves sensational stats. We're a family of four. One afternoon I checked the devices on our home wifi router. THIRTY-FIVE devices! Wireless printers, phones, smart TV's, six computers and laptops (personal, work, and school), our boys' GPS tracking cell watches, my smart watch, two remote switches for heaters in the koi pond (controllable as temps change), a leak detector in the basement, a wireless security cam on each side of the house... And one smart switch for the Christmas tree. But I'm sure the media could spin that hive of technology into a clandestine monitoring station for North Korea.

Those exclamation points and emotionally-charged words are a great indicator of the quality of the news that outlet is presenting. Or more accurately, lack thereof.

The best sources of real information don't play that game. Yes, they're harder to find.

Those exclamation points and emotionally-charged words are a great indicator of the quality of the news that outlet is presenting. Or more accurately, lack thereof.

Odd, when I went to the linked story, I saw no exclamation points nor "charged words." It seemed brief and factual.

I sort of get a kick out of the press using numbers as a scare tactic:

IE: 400 gallons of fuel! (every boat at my marina has at least 300 gallons on board)

IE: Investigators found over 1,000 rounds of ammunition at the residence! (Thats two bulk boxes of .22 ammo, just enough for a couple days of target practice, That much ammo sells for about $20.00 at Fleet)

IE: Police found FOUR computers at the house (I have at least that many at my desk counting my phone, laptop, desktop and Ipad)

IE: police found a stash of food to sustain the family for four months! (Ive got that much in my pantry and freezer, I buy my beef as a half a cow, it lasts a year)

IE: It was estimated the car was traveling nearly 100 miles per hour! (Is 65 MPH nearly 100 MPH? thats the legal speed on many highways)

Guess I'm just sick of the exclamation points on the news. I'm presently looking at about 8 inches of fresh snow on my porch. The forecast had called for the "Storm of the century, up to 24 inches of snow"!!)

pete
I don't know the last time you shopped for ammo at Fleet,
but the best deal I see today is $40/825 or $48.48/1000.

This is kind of like sitting on Facebook posting random, anonymous funeral notices. What is the point here?

A fuel leak off Lopez in the San Juan Islands might interest someone in the PNW, it certainly got my attention as that is my cruising area. I understand not relevant to an East Coaster.
~A

Thank you for mentioning this Pete. You've reminded me that I have been lax on keeping up with my ammo inventory.

My price quote was from the last time I bought .22 ammo. We used to call ten boxes of 50 rounds a "brick". I'll admit I hoarded ammo. I have plenty of it.

Regarding my comment about computers...I had a leg cramp in the middle of the night the other night. Only cure is to "walk it off". I know L.E.D lights don't use much power but I suppose in a way every LED light is a mini computer. In walking through my darkened house I bet I counted 30 or more LEDs advising me of the time, status of the cable receiver, my WIFI speed, time and relative humidity on my humidifier, home thermostat and on and on.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom