Old 02-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #201
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There are over 3000 students and 100 teachers plus more staff in that school. Their lives will never be the same after today. Most will recover, some will even use it for positive motivation, a few will spiral downward.
That may well be so, but my post you quote does not relate to that school or the shooting:
"Originally Posted by BruceK
All but the school shootings. Add to that cyber bullying,trolling,bullying at school,as a significant cause/aggravation of youth suicide and mental illness."

My post simply responded to the inquiry from RTF in post 194 about factors affecting young people in countries other than USA.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #202
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
You must know Edd we go way back

We will have to start a thread elsewhere.

diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #203
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
You must know Edd we go way back

We will have to start a thread elsewhere.
Yes, I know Edd the "Deity of Sidemount Diving". He taught me everything I know about sidemount. Sadly he probably taught me a lot more that he has to periodically remind me about. Great mentor!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #204
Guru

I have a few Edd stories. We invited him on an expedition to grand bahama. For a couple years my team was working on enlarging a system. About midway into the dives he took a call from FL. It seems a guy went missing in vortex and LEO from the state wanted him for a recovery. I protested and said we had him captured offshore. Anyway he went as far as anyone in that hell hole and found no evidence of the guy. It may still be a mystery. Left a car at site and other stuff. Weird.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #205
Guru

Another time he took off solo in his cherokee6 from lantana during a tropical storm. I guided him thru feeder bands into near the panhandle via cellphone. Wild stuff
Old 02-15-2018, 12:09 AM   #206
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi,

Not bad, a young couple has already popped up $ 15,000 a dream can go on ... this link if you want to support them financially.

https://www.gofundme.com/NEW-SAILING-LIFE

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:27 AM   #207
Guru

I`m guessing GoFundMe gets a buck outta this too. What`s their cut?
It`s a world of expectation. Either it`s someone else`s fault, and they pay, or if not you launch a bludger appeal. It`s their fault, they should wear it, no one`s problem but their own.
Bludger Defined: Urban Dictionary: bludger

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bludger

"One who lives off or profits by the work of others while making no contribution. Originally British slang meaning pimp, its currency has continued in Australia while it has died out in Britain. Why don't you get off your arse and give us a hand, ya bludger!"
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:42 AM   #208
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I`m guessing GoFundMe gets a buck outta this too. What`s their cut?
It`s a world of expectation. Either it`s someone else`s fault, and they pay, or if not you launch a bludger appeal. It`s their fault, they should wear it, no one`s problem but their own.
Bludger Defined: Urban Dictionary: bludger

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bludger

"One who lives off or profits by the work of others while making no contribution. Originally British slang meaning pimp, its currency has continued in Australia while it has died out in Britain. Why don't you get off your arse and give us a hand, ya bludger!"
Actually GoFundMe changed last year. They were taking 5% as a platform fee. Now they just take 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction as a payment processing fee. What part of that they keep and what part goes to the card processor, I don't know. Donors are also allowed to give GoFundMe tips for providing the program. I don't know how much of that they get but even if a very small percentage of people tip it could still mount up. Last they get some benefit from the cash balances they hold until the person withdraws the money from them.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #209
FF
Guru

I think a library card would be a better gift in the long run than free currency.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #210
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. FF. HAH! You're assuming literacy...
Old 02-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #211
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
About midway into the dives he took a call from FL. It seems a guy went missing in vortex and LEO from the state wanted him for a recovery. I protested and said we had him captured offshore. Anyway he went as far as anyone in that hell hole and found no evidence of the guy. It may still be a mystery. Left a car at site and other stuff. Weird.
My understanding was that they saw the parade of bugs going in to feast and figured he was in one of those stupid tight spots that was not worth the risk for a body recovery.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #212
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
A couple of points.
These days kids are not permitted to be kids, to discover nature, walk in the woods, interact with the other kids.
Nope, here's your computer, iPad and iPhone. Go have fun, dont leave the house and remember dinner will be served when your father gets home.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #213
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
A couple of points.
These days kids are not permitted to be kids, to discover nature, walk in the woods, interact with the other kids.
Nope, here's your computer, iPad and iPhone. Go have fun, dont leave the house and remember dinner will be served when your father gets home.
Not sure about the "permitted" part. Yes, there has been this displacement from physical reality to the virtual space; But, the root cause is the kids desire to fit in. We have a landline phone (not sure why), but even with 2x teenage girls, I HAVE NEVER SEEN THEM USE IT. not ever.
When you take them somewhere at nite. I get distracted by all the light blinks. Snapchat demands this photo thing going on. Selfies to the tune of 6 per minute!
Old 02-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #214
Guru

I thought it was pretty cool to 2 way page others in the same corporate meeting (in silent mode). This was back in the '90s. Now, its payback time. In those days you didn't know for sure who sent the page, since it was dependent on a manually signed text field. Well, you could sign as anyone.
Imagine the mayhem one could cause.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #215
Guru

Quote:
I thought it was pretty cool to 2 way page others in the same corporate meeting (in silent mode). This was back in the '90s. Now, its payback time. In those days you didn't know for sure who sent the page, since it was dependent on a manually signed text field. Well, you could sign as anyone.
Imagine the mayhem one could cause.
I remember the days of no pagers, no phone answering machines, no communications once out of the house or office. No distractions during dinner or driving. I visit one restaurant that seems to deaden the cell phone signal or maybe it is the lack of window. SHRUG I dont need or want to try to eat dinner when the adjacent people are shouting into their phones about the latest family "disaster" or gossip.

I hope the airlines never permit cell phone service on flights. I do not want to hear someone carrying on a conversation during a flight from Atlanta or New York while crossing the ocean for 5 or 6 hours.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #216
Guru

Quote:
dinner will be served when your father gets home.
Wifey B: Oh, families eating dinner together is not the norm at all today. All different schedules, working late, just doesn't happen routinely.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #217
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Quote:
I hope the airlines never permit cell phone service on flights.
Already, been years now, just use the onboard WiFi with your VoIP compatible service.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #218
Guru

WifeyB, ah the advantage of not getting into family fights, gossiping and the dreaded questions, "And how was school today?"
Old 02-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #219
Guru

Quote:
I hope the airlines never permit cell phone service on flights. I do not want to hear someone carrying on a conversation during a flight from Atlanta or New York while crossing the ocean for 5 or 6 hours.
I hate to disappoint you but we've moved considerably in that direction and at least one airline making it clear you can use the cell phone on their flights. Some think the FAA prohibits the use, but they do not, leaving it up to individual airlines. Obviously once at full altitude, it has to be in WIFI mode. We've texted on planes successfully. So, it's coming.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #220
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Already, been years now, just use the onboard WiFi with your VoIP compatible service.
Then I guess it is very noisy back in coach.
I have been witness to women go on and on through out my dinner with one of their friends. Why cant they at least wait until they get into their own private car.