Which way should a portlight face?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tator

Guru
Vessel Name
Oz
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
I was visiting a friend's boat project today and noticed that the bronze rectangular portlights that he had re-installed on the trunk cabin swung outward with the dogs on the outside. I had never noticed this before on a boat and on my three previous boats, they had all swung inward with the dogs on the inside. He had commented on how they didn't seem to fit very well and when I pointed out my observation, he said that that was the way they had come off. It seemed odd to me that one would then have a unit that would stick out onto the narrow deck and that couldn't be opened or latched without going outside. Is this a normal practice?

Tator

I've only ever seen them swing inward.

Tator,
I think he installed them backwards. It does not make sense that the port would require going on deck to open and close!
I have never seen one installed in the manner described. No wonder he did not think they "fit" properly when installing.

He installed them backwards. Just because they were that way when he removed them
does not mean they are correct.

He installed them backwards. Just because they were that way when he removed them
does not mean they are correct.

+1. Someone in the past installed them incorrectly so when he did the replacement he should have turned them around. I would hate having to go outside if it started raining just to close and dog the port.

Actually the way they are could in some instances be dangerous/deadly.
If they were not closed before starting a trip and it got rough then what. Going out on deck could get someone tossed off the boat or suffer harm from getting tossed.

Yes, worst case but stuff like that happens even if the port were not deliberately left open.

A real security issue. "Honey, will you go out on the dock and lock down the port lights?"

pete

Back
Top Bottom