Using existing paravanes rig to add sails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

balder8

Vessel Name
BALDER VIII
Vessel Make
North Sea Trawler 57' OC
Hello Captains and Admirals!

Reading one more time the excellent book " Voyaging under power", I wonder if some of you have had tried to test sails like thoses installed on TEKA III( picture in the book page 46 of fourth edition)? I mean taking advantage of central mast and paravanes outriggers ( for those who have this back up for stabilization underway with fish)to use more or less small sails on starboard and portside when running downind ( most of our offshore trawlers have not enough deep keel to avoid heel and adrift).

On my trawler, I should add a small folding bipod mast , bolted or welded on existing square pipes (on starboard and portside of wheelhouse) to increase the height where sails will be connected. My two folding horizontal paravanes ( NZ and Aussie design) should act as outriggers ( 20' on each side, at 90°, secured by dyneema ropes from bow and stern.

In term of efficiency, steady sails only or sails able to move the boat downwing, during a passage ( trade winds) from Capo Verde to Barbados for example, that is the question...?

In the book, TEKA III owners explained they reached 2,8knts with very little wind. They didn't test with stronger winds ( 20knts for example)

File attached: scan of page 46 to see how TEKA III did.
Picture of Balder VIII: in white, existing structure on wheelhouse with paravanes open at 90°, in red , sails to be added on starboard and portside, in black, addition of small bipod mast.

Thanks by advance for your comments!

Attachments

• Get home sails on paravanes.pdf
    562.7 KB · Views: 24
  • steady sails on paravanes.jpg
    steady sails on paravanes.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 9
  • projet mat bipode sur structure paravanes existante.png
    projet mat bipode sur structure paravanes existante.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom