Tug Aground-Sank Northern B.C.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ Hawgwash:

This is more than just 'who operates here or there.' It should be more about what happened, how to make sure it doesn't happen again, and who allowed it to happen, and were there any issues which need to be stopped to guarantee it doesn't happen again.

The follow on message about travel waivers is more telling.

What do you know about the weather/ route/ conditions that were there when this happened?

I know I have taken 'alternate routes' when weather requires. Was this a weather related issue? Was the vessel in extremis? Was this a specific fault of an ATB being weather hampered?

Inquiring minds and all.....

@ Hawgwash:What do you know about the weather/ route/ conditions that were there when this happened?
In the time before the Nathan E Stewart tried to move a reef their radio exchange with CCG was <____________________________>

Nothing out of the ordinary that night.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

In the time before the Nathan E Stewart tried to move a reef their radio exchange with CCG was <____________________________>

Nothing out of the ordinary that night.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Not knowing what happened that night I (we, you, the others) have no idea about your supposition. (although at 0100 I can pretty much make a good guess). However, your post alluded to.... "This thing had no business being in those waters" and "can transit Seaforth Channel in a midnight blow on a waiver".

Care to share what you know about actual conditions that morning? Or why 'those waters' should have been off limits?

The vessel 'past track' would be most illuminating. Unfortunately most of us don't have access to that sort of info.

Here's a link to the Heiltsuk Web site. If you look on their Facebook page they havesome pretty poignant video footage.
Nathan E. Stewart Disaster – Heiltsuk Nation

Regardless of who is at fault, this proves there isn't the ability to properly respond to spills on the coast. All the fuel spilt was from the tug, can you imagine if the barge had been full and been holed?

The Nathan E Stewart had navigated these waters many times, as had the BC ferry Queen of the North, this was human error pure and simple, what is needed is less chitter chatter and finger pointing and more actual pre emergency planning and adequate equipment available to deal with these problems, in the mean time lets thank what ever god we chose to worship that it was only the tug that sank and no lives were lost this time because next time and there will be a next time it may be far worse.

cappy208; said:
The vessel 'past track' would be most illuminating.
The tug passed the Ivory Island lighthouse, 11.5 kilometres north of Bella Bella, where its crew should have made a gentle turn to the southeast, passing easily between the rocky reef off Athlone Island and the mainland.
Instead, according to a record of the vessels’ GPS path from MarineTraffic.com, it plowed straight ahead at 9.4 knots. The tug scraped hard on the reef, tearing open two of its fuel tanks and spilling diesel into the cold seawater. It was 1:13 a.m.

Attachments

• Sat.jpg
    Sat.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 75
  • Lanes.PNG
    Lanes.PNG
    111.9 KB · Views: 91
  • N E S.jpg
    N E S.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Sure looks like someone fell asleep. They were only a few miles from their next traffic check-in point.

No way to know until after an investigation. Might have been some medical event, who knows? I know of a guy on a fishboat once who drove the boat up on the rocks while he was down below playing slap and tickle with the woman cook! Could be any number of things.

See...I can bite my tongue until even others say guessing at accidents is premature.... :D

@Hawgwash. How did you get that past track? I have been looking all over MT. Are you a paid subscriber?

I know of a guy on a fishboat once who drove the boat up on the rocks while he was down below playing slap and tickle with the woman cook! Could be any number of things.

Agreed. I was being polite attributing the lapse of attention to sleep. But slap and tickle (I like that expression) with all sorts of partners (or none) are equally viable reasons for a lapse in attention.

Having been involved with dozens of salvages where vessels have hit the beach instead of the inlet...the reported reasons run the full gamut of everything but human error.....after the investigation...those reasons are a little less defendable.

twistedtree; said:
But slap and tickle (I like that expression) with all sorts of partners (or none) are equally viable reasons for a lapse in attention.
Pokémon at sea.

Here's some pics from the Canuck press. IMG_1478463144.495812.jpgIMG_1478463164.627259.jpgIMG_1478463179.926714.jpg

Nothing a little bit of bondo and fiberglass won't fix.

It that thing in the middle picture the barge coupling mechanism mentioned in the other thread? Or is it just an anchor?

"It that thing in the middle picture the barge coupling mechanism mentioned in the other thread? Or is it just an anchor?"

There is an add-on fender just below the bow fender, but the extrusion further aft just forward of the shoulder is the coupling mechanism. A shaft projects from the extrusion on either side of the bow into the barge receptacles where it is designed to pivot.

Here's a better pic of the boat from past owners.
2yva2wp.jpg

The Hydraulic pins are located in the blisters that project out from the sides of the bow. The pins are approximately 12" in diameter. They are operated hydraulically with hydraulic locks to keep them in place. This particular brand is JAK. Don't know what that stands for.

The video Hawgwash posted if for a IMHO a superior connection system. Although this brand has had some issues with uncoupling at sea also. But it is NOT exactly the same as the NES coupler. I believe the Intercon coupler is more robust and heavier duty.

But, as can be seen it may not be the coupler that is the weak link!

There are many coupling systems out there. Bloodworth, Intercon, JAK, Articouple, Artubar. And more I can't recall.

Reading that short article I would agree with this quote.

"Two incidents in four weeks is too many for these coastal waters. The Coast Guard and other marine rescue services are already stretched thin," said elected councillor Jess Housty in a written release.

Makes sense.......there are a bunch of cruisers that say not having an EPIRB aboard makes them safer becase they know they cant push the panic button. :eek:

Not having the CG close by might be the same incentive...:facepalm:

In these areas, the first responders are the local craft in the area. You are "obliged" to respond if at all possible,

Back
Top Bottom