Old 04-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #21
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Iíve installed them myself and had others do it professionally. It sure is easy to just drop it off and let U-Haul, etc. do it for you.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:26 PM   #22

City: Kiln,MS
Lot of good info posted above. One thing you will want to do is practice turning and backing up. As well as get a feel for depth perception. You may need to add corner post's to the outside back end of the trailer to be able to see it while backing up. Get some cone's and set up different coarses so you can get a feel for how much steering input is needed to get it to turn the way you want it to. Remember don't get frustrated with backing up. Short trailers are a pain in the azz even for the most experienced driver's. Lol I'll take a 40ft over a 10 ft trailer any day.

BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:58 PM   #23

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAT View Post

. Short trailers are a pain in the azz even for the most experienced driver's. Lol I'll take a 40ft over a 10 ft trailer any day.
+! on that!!!

My 27" Express Cruiser is like 32' towed. Far easier to tow, turn and back up than my first 19' cuddy.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:05 PM   #24
JLD
Guru

City: Maryland
In my post last week I mentioned etrailer.com

They have a great website. Put in your vehicle and they will get a hitch that is customized to fit your vehicle, it will also tell you any drilling of the vehicle frame is required. My current vehicle has a factory tow package. Not so on my previous truck. It was pretty simple to bolt the hitch to the truck's frame using the pre-drilled holes in the frame. Wiring a bit more complicated, but not much.

I would suggest that you consider pricing out the hitch and wiring harness. Then with these numbers in hand, swing by U-Haul and get a quote for their parts with installation. Then decide if you want to do your own installation or not.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:08 AM   #25

City: West Palm Beach and Ortona, Florida
Vessel Name: Buena Veeda, Sea Wee
Vessel Model: SeaVee 290i Yanmar 370, Boston Whaler 130 SS
Make sure that you have at least 10% of the total weight on the tongue(front) of the trailer. If you don't balance the weight properly, the trailer will tend to sway.
Scubawpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Good input, Thanks.

This small trailer is the leading contender and has the needed load capacity. Galvanized for SW use, wheels sealed, etc.

The dealer said they will do the primary registration paperwork but I need to get it inspected by the DMV prior to loading. However, he also said AAA can inspect it. I hate going to the the DMV so I called AAA and they confirmed any field office can sign off on it.

No brake system required for this small size.

3 prong electrical plug in.

Basic trailer, good price $1,400.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04FFE32E-F6D3-41A1-8A04-626409965723.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	88065   Click image for larger version

Name:	561E9092-6DF2-4AA6-800D-4E7DBA774B2B.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	88068  
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #27

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
For the use you have described, get a greaseable bearing protector. Bearing buddy is the industry leader. https://www.bearingbuddy.com/ I can not tell from the picture if the trailer hubs have these protectors on the hub end.

This is the reason why …... trailer the boat to the water. Back trailer in and put boat in water. Pull trailer out and store. The bearings were very warm from the tow and you dropped it into relatively cold water. Inside the hub everything contracts and maybe pulling in water. Then you park the trailer for a long period and that water has the opportunity to do a chemistry project on your bearings. With a bearing protector, there is a seal with spring tension at the hub end. The spring will move out and back in with the temp changes keeping grease in and water out.

To put grease in there initially with the bearing protector is a Goldilocks thing. You want enough grease in there so the spring against the seal has something to work with. But not too much that when things heat up the grease pushes out the rear seal or pops the bearing protector off when towing.

This will give long life to the trailer bearings in a not so nice environment. There are better things to do in life than replace bearings and races that have pitted and then ruined because water got inside.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #28
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
For salt water, galvanized or aluminum, either way the smart thing to do is to give it a good spray down with fresh water after each use.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #29
Guru

I suggest that you also install (or have installed) guide on poles to the trailer.
It will assist in loading but more importantly it will let you see the trailer when it's empty.
Even better would be to mount the lights and tag high up on the poles. That way the lights won't get water in them. Yes they claim the lights are sealed, but they don't stay that way for long in my experience.
Here's a pic of the guides, before I mounted my lights on them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	88118  

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #30

City: Wrightsville Beach
Vessel Name: Time & Tide
Vessel Model: 2005 34T Mainship
This is what I bought for a 12' Row boat: https://www.trailex.com/products/pc/...MBLY-7p546.htm

Very Light. Assembled at home.

Name:	Transport compressed.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	88120

Todd
Todd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #31
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
This is what I bought for a 12' Row boat: https://www.trailex.com/products/pc/...MBLY-7p546.htm

Todd
Where you live must be flat...you'd get a hearty workout here!
Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: NW Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I have installed 2 Drawtite hitches and they both fit perfectly and the instructions were right on the money.

When I had a small trailer for my RIB, I added two of those plastic orange marker sticks that they use on snowplows because I could not see the trailer when driving as it was hidden from view.
Anyone handy with tools should be able to install one, having a torque wrench to tighten things to spec would be safest but Iím guessing most people donít bother.

Bike flags work great too. Use scissors to trim the flags to a much smaller triangle for better wind resistance for highway speeds.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:19 PM   #33
JLD
Guru

City: Maryland
It probably goes without saying, but make sure that the grease that you are using for the trailer bearings is a marine wheel bearing grease!

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: New Haven
Vessel Name: Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II
Trailer and Hitch to tow a small boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R View Post

Attachment 88120

Todd

Todd, is that a 12 foot Little River Marine Heritage? I have the 18 foot with a single sliding seat rower, same color. I wish I lived close enough to a ramp to use that bicycle trailer setup.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	panoramio-56854230.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	88179  
Tamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #35

City: Wrightsville Beach
Vessel Name: Time & Tide
Vessel Model: 2005 34T Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamrow View Post
Todd, is that a 12 foot Little River Marine Heritage? I have the 18 foot with a single sliding seat rower, same color. I wish I lived close enough to a ramp to use that bicycle trailer setup.

Good eye! Yes it's the 12'. I get more of a workout towing to the marina than I do rowing. (and it's less than 1/2 a mile) The Trailex trailer is rated for 220 lbs, but they make larger ones. Highly recommend.

Todd
Todd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #36
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
For the use you have described, get a greaseable bearing protector. Bearing buddy is the industry leader. https://www.bearingbuddy.com/ I can not tell from the picture if the trailer hubs have these protectors on the hub end.

This is the reason why Ö... trailer the boat to the water. Back trailer in and put boat in water. Pull trailer out and store. The bearings were very warm from the tow and you dropped it into relatively cold water. Inside the hub everything contracts and maybe pulling in water. Then you park the trailer for a long period and that water has the opportunity to do a chemistry project on your bearings. With a bearing protector, there is a seal with spring tension at the hub end. The spring will move out and back in with the temp changes keeping grease in and water out.

To put grease in there initially with the bearing protector is a Goldilocks thing. You want enough grease in there so the spring against the seal has something to work with. But not too much that when things heat up the grease pushes out the rear seal or pops the bearing protector off when towing.

This will give long life to the trailer bearings in a not so nice environment. There are better things to do in life than replace bearings and races that have pitted and then ruined because water got inside.
Yep, I always put Bearing Buddies on any trailer that's going in the water. The number one failure in boat trailers are the hubs, and usually due to water intrusion. Bearing Buddy is the best protection there is from that.