Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #41
Guru
 
hmason's Avatar
 
City: Stuart FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,291
Oh crap. Now I need to hide my shoes.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Howard
Magic, 1996 Grand Banks Europa
Westport, CT and Stuart, FL
hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:30 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
City: Pensacola, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 202
Cardude1, we tow a 14' Twin Vee center console and have done so from Pensacola to PR thus far. We love having the more capable tender to run around in. It tows easily and, being somewhat stern heavy, just bobs over the big swells. I would encourage you to try towing in your local waters first and if the center console does OK then go for it!
__________________

Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #43
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,709
Towing a big tender

I tow the little RIB with a poly line attached to the two stern cleats. I assume I would need some different setup to tow a bigger boat?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
City: Marathon
Country: Usa
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 258
Have towed my 20' proline with our Jefferson 45. Cruising at 8-9 knots with no problems. Have a proper tow line made,proper tow bracket to boat ,and your tow should go well.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #45
Guru
 
Dougcole's Avatar
 
City: Carrabelle, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,536
I'll second the comments on the 115 Yamaha 2 stroke. Widely considered to be one of the best outboards ever made, if you choose to, it should sell easily and for a good price in Florida. It's a great motor for a flats boat, light, tourquey and reliable. My brother has been running one (he puts a LOT of hours on a motor) on his 17' action craft since 1999.

I think you will be giving up a lot of performance if you drop down to a 70 or 90 hp 4 stroke and the weight won't be much different. Probably the 4 stroke will be heavier.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:42 PM   #46
Veteran Member
 
City: Delray Beach
Country: US
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 47
Doing some research and came across this thread. I'm looking to tow a 27ft center console behind a larger vessel, but I really want to tow a 27 Glacier Bay cat. Has anyone tried towing a cat? I'm mostly worried about tracking and head seas.
mod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:29 AM   #47
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 21,775
Most cats I towed as an assistance tower did not track well att all.

Many needed a drogue to keep them sttaight.

Only the ones that were stern heavy tracked well enough to skip the drogue.... even some deep forefooted monos could be a pain at slow speeds.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #48
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
We had no problems towing a 24' RIBCAT for about 800 nmiles each season typically between 8 and 17 knots. It was positioned on the back side of the second wave behind the boat and tracked better than the half dozen or so monohulls we towed previously.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #49
Guru
 
Group9's Avatar
 
City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,069
We’ve towed an 11 foot Whaler to the Bahamas twice and back with no repercussions. You have to be doubly attentive to weather and wave conditions. And, a schedule that puts you in bad conditions while moving can make you lose your tender.

We are planning on taking a bigger tender on our upcoming trip to the Bahamas, either a 21 foot Mako center console or a 13 Whaler.

Yeah, it can be more trouble when pulling into slips, or taking fuel, but if you are going to be there for months, it’s worth it. But if I was needing to go over on a short trip with a firm return date, I wouldn’t do it.

You HAVE to be able to wait out bad weather. If you can’t do that, don’t do it.
__________________
"It's the tides. They can work for you, and they can work against you. And, confidentially, I've had this problem with the tides before." Captain Ron
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #50
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
Here is the 24' CAT being towed at about 17 knots....

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8010569.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	83847
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #51
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
and here it is on land....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7260566.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	83848  
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #52
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,133
There is absolutely no similarity between towing a 24' RIB and towing a 27' Glacier Bay or larger CAT. The Glacier Bay has many times the weight, weighing in at 7800 lbs., and has a cabin forward so could have but may not have the issues pdneeld references with too much weight forward. RIB's tow well. The Glacier Bay, I don't know but I wouldn't bet on it.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #53
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There is absolutely no similarity between towing a 24' RIB and towing a 27' Glacier Bay or larger CAT. The Glacier Bay has many times the weight, weighing in at 7800 lbs., and has a cabin forward so could have but may not have the issues pdneeld references with too much weight forward. RIB's tow well. The Glacier Bay, I don't know but I wouldn't bet on it.
I did not know that his GB was a cabin boat - the ones we have here are open in the front and have twin 150's like the RIB.
All of the GB's we have been on have planed quickly and will ride on top at less than 15 mph - making them easier to tow at speed.
If it is the newer GB with the cabin it is about twice the weight of the RIB we have often towed. When loaded with fuel and a jet ski on board its over 4000# easy.

I may be wrong about his specific CAT but with those 150's out back and the tapered hulls these boats are mostly stern heavy requiring tabs etc to operate well.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #54
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 21,775
I will admit, many boats, especially with engines down tow well at hmoderate speeds.

Thats because the bow rises and stern drags....even if at higher speeds and you pull the engine up.


But any vessel, if the pivot point is nearer the bow than the stern, will tow like crap at slower speeds...often where your location requires greater control (unless the engine is down or there is a drogue).
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #55
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
I did not know that his GB was a cabin boat - the ones we have here are open in the front and have twin 150's like the RIB.
All of the GB's we have been on have planed quickly and will ride on top at less than 15 mph - making them easier to tow at speed.
If it is the newer GB with the cabin it is about twice the weight of the RIB we have often towed. When loaded with fuel and a jet ski on board its over 4000# easy.

I may be wrong about his specific CAT but with those 150's out back and the tapered hulls these boats are mostly stern heavy requiring tabs etc to operate well.
I don't know what model Glacier Bay he's referencing. Regardless, towing a rib vs a glass boat is very different. Perhaps he's talking the bow rider but it's still over 7000 lbs.

Ultimately the only way to find out is to try to tow a boat.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #56
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't know what model Glacier Bay he's referencing. Regardless, towing a rib vs a glass boat is very different. Perhaps he's talking the bow rider but it's still over 7000 lbs.

Ultimately the only way to find out is to try to tow a boat.
The RIB in the pictures only has glass hull in the water when being towed - and its a CAT.
We owned this one for many seasons and often towed with 90+ gallons of fuel and 20 gals of water including a jet ski on board - easily over 4,000#'s.
Also had a 2460 renegade GB in the group but never towed that one.
All the CATS I have been on have been stern heavy - not sure what anyone else has experienced with CATS in this size range.
They rise well and tow pretty good with a good bridle and tow points made low on the hull.

BandB - I was under the impression you never towed boats?
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #57
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I will admit, many boats, especially with engines down tow well at hmoderate speeds.

Thats because the bow rises and stern drags....even if at higher speeds and you pull the engine up.


But any vessel, if the pivot point is nearer the bow than the stern, will tow like crap at slower speeds...often where your location requires greater control (unless the engine is down or there is a drogue).
I cannot speak for all boats but the CATS we have been on all have a stern bias - and they lift well when towed at slower speeds which is preferable to the monohulls we have towed when over hull speeds. The pictures really reflect how they tow in both good and bad weather - we have been in both.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #58
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
The RIB in the pictures only has glass hull in the water when being towed - and its a CAT.
We owned this one for many seasons and often towed with 90+ gallons of fuel and 20 gals of water including a jet ski on board - easily over 4,000#'s.
Also had a 2460 renegade GB in the group but never towed that one.
All the CATS I have been on have been stern heavy - not sure what anyone else has experienced with CATS in this size range.
They rise well and tow pretty good with a good bridle and tow points made low on the hull.

BandB - I was under the impression you never towed boats?
You are correct. I only have towed boats that broke down and that was before tow companies hit. Psneeld is the one who has towed CATS as a tow captain. As I said, I have no idea how the Glacier Bay would tow, just saying the fact your RIB towed well doesn't automatically mean a 27' Glacier Bay would.

I also agree that bridle and tow points and distance are very important to how a boat tows on top of the boat itself. I have ridden on a 27' Glacier Bay, but it was a Cabin Model. It rode very flat although I'm sure the weight was more to the stern.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:25 PM   #59
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You are correct. I only have towed boats that broke down and that was before tow companies hit. Psneeld is the one who has towed CATS as a tow captain. As I said, I have no idea how the Glacier Bay would tow, just saying the fact your RIB towed well doesn't automatically mean a 27' Glacier Bay would.

I also agree that bridle and tow points and distance are very important to how a boat tows on top of the boat itself. I have ridden on a 27' Glacier Bay, but it was a Cabin Model. It rode very flat although I'm sure the weight was more to the stern.
When you view the CATS from the stern it really shows why the stern is not 'lifted' during towing like the monohulls. There is a huge 'hole' in the hull where that lift typically would be which makes the CATS run and tow stern heavy without stuff like down engine trim, trim tabs and really higher speeds.

This is the hull that is 'holding up' those two big outboards when under tow.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5228.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	83850  
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #60
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 21,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
I cannot speak for all boats but the CATS we have been on all have a stern bias - and they lift well when towed at slower speeds which is preferable to the monohulls we have towed when over hull speeds. The pictures really reflect how they tow in both good and bad weather - we have been in both.
I can guarantee I have towed more and more different kinds than you have owned, unless you buy one annually and have for decades.. But maybe not the same brands...

Not doubting your experience, but it certainly isn't absolute like anything with boats.

A couple of Glacier Bays I towed were some of the most now heavy and worst slow speed. towed vessels I have towed.

But if any had bigger engines or more batteries, gear, etc...they might have been more docile.
__________________

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×