Toasted impeller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought one from impellertool.com. As I remember it was in the $40 range. It is well worth it even if it would have been more.

OK, you made me look. :)

It was $97.45 in July, 2017 for one that fits a Sherwood 17000 raw water pump.

For my Sherwood 17000 or equivalent, and inexpensive but effective removal and install, i finally came up with the below recipe.
Removal: a 2 inch long 3/4 machine bolt, 16 thread. It has a 1 1/8" head so bought an open end wrench for that. Bolt was < $1.50. A longer bolt may have saved a bit ofttimes but didn't fit in the limited space on my JD 4045AFM.

That's where I've gravitated toward using a battery-powered ratchet drive. Spins the bolt fast enough to push that sucker outa there mosh skosh! And mostly I wanted the battery ratchet thing for other stuff, too.

-Chris

Last edited:
View attachment 95296

Thought about glueing humpty back together again to see if I found all the pieces. Quickly moved on to simply checking all the coolers. Note to self: Open Seacock BEFORE starting engine.

Wonder if you could have weighed all the pieces and compared that to an intact impeller.

There is such a thing as Run Dry Impellers made by Globe. I don't know anything about them other than they exist.

I have only heard bad things about the run dry impellers. Several mechanics have told me they don’t last.

There is such a thing as Run Dry Impellers made by Globe. I don't know anything about them other than they exist.
I looked at them but still have to find out the one that will fit my pump.

L

I have only heard bad things about the run dry impellers. Several mechanics have told me they don’t last.

Don't last under normal operation? Or perhaps they don't hold up if run dry?

The mechanics told me both. Didn’t last and didn’t last in a dry run either. But I have never tried them myself.

Wonder if you could have weighed all the pieces and compared that to an intact impeller.

Yes, good point. I didn't really want to know the answer. I'd never sleep.

Back
Top Bottom