Old 10-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #41
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Well as fate would have it, I am back on the hunt. The offer I made on the Grand Banks wasn't accepted. I thought it was reasonable given that I would need to add electronics, tender and diesel heat to cruise in the PNW.

So here's my list of wants and budget. Maybe we can narrow down a candidate list.

Less teak is better on the outside. Both my wife and I work more than full time and we enjoy cruising more than varnishing.
I'd like to stay away from Volvos
Prefer a two stateroom set up as my 7 year old continues to grow
My budget puts me around $140-160k (purchase)
I'd like to look primarily here in the PNW to save on shipping, however for the "deal" I'd go out further.
No Bayliner, Carvers,Searays - I know they have their market place but not for me.
I'd love to get a flybridge

Thoughts? Off market, on market coming to market?

“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:23 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Saw quite a few of the tugs, Nordic and American, in the PNW. No flybridge but very good boats.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:28 PM   #43
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
With a decent pilothouse, no flybridge is necessary.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:06 PM   #44
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
With a decent flybridge a pilothouse isn't necessary.... been there... done that... on hundreds of boats.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:08 PM   #45
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
With a decent pilothouse, no flybridge is necessary.

I have a flybridge and agree with Mark. I rarely navigate up there because the Pilothouse has good visibility, ready access to lines, and is always comfortable. I use the flybridge deck to raise/lower the tender, to grill, for additional storage, and to occasionally lounge after anchored or docked. In reality I probably spend as much time cleaning it as using it.
drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:16 PM   #46
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Funny how the guys from almost San Fran north to Seattle or even farther north say flybridges are extraneous...

And people from the Gulf coast and further south say the awnings and rain guards and enclosures that so many from the PNW say are crucial are really silly...

Go figure....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:18 PM   #47
Guru

flybridge

That is the one thing I would be willing to compromise on if needed. I do like the American Tugs - but they are out of my budget even should I stretch.

Keep them coming,
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
Old 10-31-2016, 09:37 PM   #48
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
We love our enclosed flybridge. Use it in all sorts of weather whether in Alaska or BC. I would not have a boat in our size range without an enclosed flybridge for our type of cruising.

For the OP, seems you have the proverbial steak desires and hamburger budget. Something will show up, be patient. Suggest you keep an eye on Irwin Yacht Sales for that right freshwater Tollycraft on the Columbia. They fit your budget and desired size.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:42 PM   #49
Guru

Last one, a Californian sold just a week prior to me hitting the market. I'd like to say I am patient, I know it's out there. It's a matter of finding the right person with the right motivation.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:13 AM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Funny how the guys from almost San Fran north to Seattle or even farther north say flybridges are extraneous...

And people from the Gulf coast and further south say the awnings and rain guards and enclosures that so many from the PNW say are crucial are really silly...

Go figure....
Having boated in both locations the differences in attitudes reflect the differences in weather. Once again buy a boat for the use you are going to have of it.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #51
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Navigator? Not a trawler... but good boats none-the-less.

1997 Navigator Classic Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1996 Navigator Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 11-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #52
Guru

Navigators were built with (UGH) Volvo engines, not a good choice for BSHILLAM or anyone else.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #53
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Navigators were built with (UGH) Volvo engines, not a good choice for BSHILLAM or anyone else.
Not all. In fact, when I hear a boat coming into the marina with a particular noise, I can usually identify the make of the engine. In the case of Navigators, most of the ones in my boating area have Cummins, with their particular low speed growl.

And having read a few recent posts on the cost of stuff for Yanmar and Cummins being exorbitant, Volvos are cheap to maintain by comparison.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #54
Guru

Funny I looked at a navigator 5000 and was impressed with the layout, how it has aged etc. it wasn't a dock queen either. Twice to AK from Portland in the last few years. I'll look at both on YW.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
One of the boats I listed was DD powered. And besides, not everyone has had a bad experience with Volvo motors.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #56
Guru

The bad experience is not with Volvo engines, as they are quite good. The bad experience is the difficulty in findin' replacement parts at any price, as Volvo does not support legacy engines.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
The bad experience is not with Volvo engines, as they are quite good. The bad experience is the difficulty in findin' replacement parts at any price, as Volvo does not support legacy engines.
We have been thru this before. I have 2000 model year engines and Volvo is still making parts for them. Yes, parts are expensive, but you can get them if you know where to look. So I don't know what you mean by not supported or maybe your engine was much older. In that case, yea, maybe they did stop making parts, but that should mean you should diss the entire make. Pontiac isn't even a car company anymore, but lots of people are buying old GTOs. Can you call Ford and get Leman parts? What about Perkins?

Sorry for the thread creep.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Not too likely that a Navigator will come with a "legacy" engine, of any brand, as the build date on the Navigator won't be that old.

My boat, built in 1980 came with older technology for the time, by Volvo, TMD40. Still lots of those around, and parts are still readily available, at least in the South coast of BC.

The guy whose boat was built in the 50s will certainly have what I would call old, but still may be able to get parts, but may have to wait while. This will be true no matter what the brand.

eg. a friend of mine just last month did a turbo rebuild on his 1957 Cat. He had to wait a month for the parts to come in.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
We have been thru this before. I have 2000 model year engines and Volvo is still making parts for them. Yes, parts are expensive, but you can get them if you know where to look. So I don't know what you mean by not supported or maybe your engine was much older. In that case, yea, maybe they did stop making parts, but that should mean you should diss the entire make. Pontiac isn't even a car company anymore, but lots of people are buying old GTOs.

Sorry for the thread creep.
Thread creep warning:

Last winter I saw my old GTO stopped at a light (well, OK one like it). The top was down, there were 4 old fogies (guys and gals my age) out for a ride. I hollered at them "that's my car!". The driver hollered back "It's mine now" and drove away. Later that day I looked the 65 convertible up and found that the car I sold in 1972 for $1500 CDN is now worth north of $60,000 USD. NO I won't be in that market again. But reminiscing is still fun.

Not many of us have boats that have been well enough maintained to still turn heads after 50 years. Those who do are willing to pay any price for the continuing maintenance, as with the GTO.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #60
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
I'd re offer 175 for the GB. Let em dwell on it. !!!!

cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote