Thinking of Downsizing, Options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to add to the confusion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Length_overall

Apparently, there is no real or firm definition for any term trying to define 'length'.

34' LOD was used for 1977 Tolly tri cabin and sedan fisher. MOF... I believe all Tolly length's were listed as such due to LOD. Although I'm sure some must have been either rounded up or down.

With a very small jut off bow stem pulpit [about 8"??] and 20" deep swim step LOA could be termed 36'. Never had a dock master question 34' when I mention it!

Actually there is. For USCG documented boats, it's clear. It's LOA including any extensions.

Then LOD is meaningless? That has a flexible definition.

When my boat was it built, it was in compliance with the regulations at the time therefore when I documented the boat, I documented it as 34 ft LOA.

Greetings,
Mr. A. Can't remember specific fuel usage for that Glacier Bay but I think it was in the range of 1.5 mpg @ 26knots but don't quote me on that. Below is a different boat with less power.

290867562_1424826921322156_8951836739639161679_n.jpg

At 24 mph = same basic fuel use as our Tolly at 7 knots. Difference is comfort. at 16 to 17 knots we get 1 nmpg.

Then LOD is meaningless? That has a flexible definition.

When my boat was it built, it was in compliance with the regulations at the time therefore when I documented the boat, I documented it as 34 ft LOA.

No, LOD isn't meaningless. It's a valid number, just not the length for documentation or for marinas.

I have a NT 42. Same hull is now called NT44. Big difference between marketing numbers and reality. My understanding is for the Panama Canal, US national parks and most governmental agencies-
LWL- length of static water line
LOD- length of deck (deck includes sprit if you can stand on it)
LOA- length overall including swim platform, dinghy in davits, sprit and the anchor,everything.
It’s LOA not LOD agencies (and marinas) use. My Outbound had davits that rotated in 90 degrees. With the dinghy on the foredeck and davits rotated in it was under 50’ LOA so much cheaper to take through the Panama Canal. Although marketed as a 46 it was >50’ in its “normal “ configuration. My NT42 didn’t fit into a 45’ slip with its dinghy in the Freedom lift. They put us in a 50’ slip and we still stick out. Last Wednesday someone lost control of their Sabre motorboat. He struck the oyster 54 to our port and the SeaRay 48 to our starboard. But also struck us. Fortunately our vertical hard plastic rub rails saved us so we have scuffs. Others bent anchor and gel coat. For both airdraft, waterdraft, and LOA don’t believe anything you read. Measure it yourself. My boat is said to draft 4’7” . When it was on the hard we measured immediately after it came out of the slings so could see what was actually wet. It drafts 5’1” with full tanks (except empty holding). SeaKeeper, tools, spare fluids etc. probably explain it.

Last edited:
Actually there is. For USCG documented boats, it's clear. It's LOA including any extensions.

I wonder if that includes bolt-on extensions?

Our previous boat was documented prior to our ownership at 44' and that obviously included the molded-in/on bow pulpit.

The "model name" called it a 42 as built by the original factory (before their bankruptcy), and then as a 43 when the new brand owner finished the hull that had been in progress.

But counting the bolt-on swim platform, our actual LOA was a little over 46'.

I never knew whether the original documentation just got it wrong, or whether the swim platform wasn't included because it wasn't an integral part of the hull. I never saw the builder's certificate of origin, so couldn't compare to that...

-Chris

Draft is a good point too. Builders get really creative with how they measure at times. My boat has a published draft of 3'0". As far as I can determine, that's hull draft (to the bottom of the keel, excluding props) with empty tanks, totally unloaded in salt water. Actual measured draft fully loaded in fresh water is 3'10".

The reality is sinking in that maybe a 38' trawler is not the ideal boat in my current situation. Truth is that kids are out living their lives now, girlfriend travels a lot for work and family visits around the globe so I'm singlehanding more than not, and when not it's just the two of us. I got to thinking the other day that I'd be out on the water a lot more if I had a smaller boat, simple to dock single handing and able to cover some ground more quickly.
I've been looking at some bigger Grady's and Whalers that might fit the bill. Also interested in Down East style with bigger single diesel w/thruster and controls in cockpit, but rather rare in the PNW.
Must have's;
Comfortable berth
Some type of shower
A way to carry a dinghy, cruising I spend 90% of the time on the hook
I'm thinking of no more than 32 LOA
Something that does not look like a spaceship

Interested if anyone else has or is wrestling with this.
Any suggestions?
Back Cove 32 would fit that bill nicely

I can understand your desire to have a more compact vessel. Like you we cruise the PNW so I understand the need for a tender. When we were boat shopping one of the things we quickly noticed on smaller boats was motion - the amount of it. The first thing I look for is how much the boat reacts when I step aboard. That tells you something about how heavy the boat is and how much it will bob around. Personally I can't stand a boat that feels 'light'. Perhaps that doesn't bother you but for me its a show stopper.

Without knowing price points its hard to get specific. Among 'newer' boats certainly the Nordic Tug 32 is a well thought of and capable. Among older boats the GB32 is a wonderful small cruiser but requires more maintenance than most. However it is capable and the covered aft deck is a plus in PNW. Tollycraft built several models in the 30-34 foot range all of which are well built and well thought of. Another model that is very popular in the PNW is the older Bayliner 32MY from the 1980's. Not as capable as Nordic, Tollycraft, or GB but certainly adequate with very clever packaging. Of course there are those who badmouth Bayliner but frankly the 'motoryacht' series they started in the 1980's are fairly good boats. They tend to be on the lighter side though so aren't as quiet in motion as a heavier Tollycraft or GB.

Motion of the boat is also affected by hull design so you need to make sure you're comfortable with what you choose. A catamaran feels quite different from a monohull, hard chines are different from soft chines etc.

Last edited:
Don't pass up looking at a good old Uniflite... if you come across one that was well kept.

Pre 1974 models were best for not having blisters. 1974 and onward surface blisters all over Uni boats became a BIG Problem. Retail owners' class action suite eventually closed Uniflite's doors. I owned a 1973 Uni 31' flybridge sedan twin screw. Very good boat! No blisters!! See photos.

Due to U.S. Govt signing a multi thousand number 31' boat [for Mekong Delta patrol - Vietnam] agreement with Uniflite... the pin-heads in govt-offices forced Uniflite to use their "new and improved" resin and gel coat mixtures in the 31' patrol boats. So... Uniflite company began using those new mixes in all their production boats. Well... it took a few years after Uni boats sat in sunshine - but - the blisters eventually often came on furiously all over most areas on the boats. Not pretty and as mentioned above a death knell for Uniflite Company. :facepalm:

Attachments

• 101_0042.jpg
    101_0042.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 101_0027.jpg
    101_0027.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 101_0028.jpg
    101_0028.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 101_0032.jpg
    101_0032.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 101_0036.jpg
    101_0036.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 91
34 foot defever easy to single hand. Just posted mine for sale.

Not for my documented Mainship 34HT. Listed as 34.8 length.
LOA is about 39.5 with swim (bolted) & anchor (molded) platforms.

Back Cove 32 would fit that bill nicely

Or a Mainship Pilot for much less $$$. My 2 cents regarding the dinghy (that's all any opinion is worth). My boat is not set up to carry a dinghy. It could be but I prefer not to. At anchor, it is nice to get off the boat and walk the beach or cruise the harbor. I use a roll-up inflateable as I have on previous boats. A little work to set up and put away, but once you get a system in place it's very doable. It's not meant as a serious dinghy to carry lots of people or supplies in rough conditions or at fast speeds. But to get to shore when anchored, it works fine and stores in a dock box and takes up little room on board. Another option I use is to carry a kayak, depending on what I am planning.

Or a Mainship Pilot for much less $$$. My 2 cents regarding the dinghy (that's all any opinion is worth). My boat is not set up to carry a dinghy. It could be but I prefer not to.

We had a previous boat somewhat like yours, and we often carried our inflatable (of that time period) usually upside down on the hardtop. It was a roll-up floor inflatable, and one with an air floor would have been easier...

It wasn't too difficult to slide it up there. Of course that meant mounting/dismounting the outboard every time, etc...

But otherwise it worked well enough.

-Chris

Depeding on how you carry the dinghy, mounting and unmounting the motor may be required regardless. If that's the case, it's another advantage of a small electric that comes apart into a 20 lb battery and a 20 lb motor.

I like the Albin 32+2 Command Bridge in that size range. Better visibility than an inside helm but not as high as a traditional flybridge, so it's easier to single-hand. Seems to meet most of your criteria.

https://www.edwardsyachtsales.com/boat/2002/albin/32-plus-2-command-bridge/1686/

Great boat for a single handler. Couple would be cozy... but OK too. Nice power range. Good size tankage [of all sorts]. Also, good cruise and/or WOT speeds. Wonder the nmpg realized at stated 18 knot cruise?

43 Grand Banks Eastbay as a option

We lived on our 48’ Kadey Krogen Whaleback but when we bought a house we decided to purchase a smaller boat for similar reasons you stated. We like the GB as it’s very maneuverable and has twin 440 yanmars so efficient and fast. It came with the dingy davits shown here and we like the convenience of having the dingy out of the water but quick to use :)

In my situation, I went from a 44' sail to a 34' trawler... too old to any longer handle the big sails. I singlehand 99% of the time. Have no bow thruster. Do have a single 375hp Cat engine that I usually run at 1200 rpm for a speed of roughly 7 knots. Fuel burn: 2 gph.

Stardust, a Wilbur 34, is a great boat and perfect for one old man to handle. Considered a bow thruster but thought I'd first try learning to get along without. It took a bit of practice but, from what I've seen, I do better than a lot of folks who are using thrusters and otherwise don't have a clue about boat handling.

Don't need nor want anything larger... even if I had a girlfriend.

Good luck in finding what you're looking for.

Hello Max. A few years ago, I found a well maintained Albin 31 Tournament Express … I think this boat would check all of your boxes. They are not common, but they are out there. I have twin Yanmars, but the single configuration was also popular. There are many more of the 28’s, but the difference in interior volume made by two additional feet of beam is quite surprising. By now these boats have probably realized most of their depreciation potential, resale would be easy as they are quite sought after. If you are near Everett I would be happy to have you aboard to take a look. Good luck in your search.

Glacier Bay

Greetings,
Mr. MS. We're in the same boat (situation), sorta. Our boating style/needs have changed so we've sold the "trawler" and are now looking to downsize for a somewhat different reason. I expect there will be two of us the majority of the time so solo docking is not so much of an issue and we don't anticipate needing a dinghy.

Mr. ks. makes a valid point regarding practice IF solo docking is the sole reason for a change BUT as mentioned by Mr B., it sounds like THAT is not the main reason for downsizing.

In OUR case, we would like to do more day cruising. Running the canals in Ft. Lauderdale (sightseeing), nearshore ocean fishing and potential weekend trips. Nice to be able to run over to the Bahamas for a quickie getaway or down to the Keys where speed will help. Add to that the ability to just hop on and go. It took a good 15 minutes+ to prep our Cheoy Lee for departure AND 1hr+ to shut down and close up.

We've looked at a wide variety of options from Whalers to Downeast styles. A few models are the Albin TE (Tournament Express) series in the 27' to 32' range, Mainship Pilot, Cutwater, Judge, Parker, Sisu, Cape Dory, Back Cove and a bunch I can't remember the names of. Unfortunately, the majority are just a bit too slow at cruise. I would like to run above 20 knots. NOT necessarily going to do that all the time but would still like the ability.

Currently, I am seriously looking at power catamarans and in the above size range all are outboard powered with the inherent higher fuel usage (compared to diesel). Like EVERY boat it will be a compromise, I'm sure.

Happy hunting...

iu

There is one of these for sale in California https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2008-glacier-bay-3080-coastal-runner-8276507/ Looks REALLY good on paper and if she was anywhere on the east coast, we'd buy her!

Some guy on YouTube named Tortugas steve just did the great loop in 28 days in one of these. Check out his videos!

We were at 37' and rarely used parts of her, like the forward cabin, even the salon. We liked the 37' sundeck features but not the size, primarily because of windage and docking.

We had a lower helm side door, but no aft visibility, other than a rear facing camera, which helped. Single handing was doable in calm winds, but questionable otherwise.

Our next cruising boat will be a trailerable pocket trawler: Rosborough, Ranger Tug, C-Dory, Cutwater or the like.

Suggestion

Look into a Seapiper 35. It’s a big small boat. It might be what you are looking for. Not fast but all the features and comforts for two of a large boat in a small manageable package.

Same solo cruising situation

Hi - I'm kinda in the same situation with solo cruising half the time or more. I owned a 43' PH trawler when my wife was with me but being widowed now I mostly travel alone. Sold that and bought a 29' Ranger Tug. Nice boat but just too narrow and crowded for me and especially if I take someone else with me. Am in the process of purchasing a 36' North Pacific sedan that has side doors and thrusters. Likely will add remote thruster handheld control in cases where the currents/winds move the boat too fast. With the sedan I can see everything while backing into a slip, something I could not do in my P/H. Also, getting off on side is critical to me when alone instead of going from helm to aft swim step. I agree on the weight issue - the lighter Ranger bounces more in 3' seas. Last, a little larger boat makes the maintenance access a lot easier. Oh, anchoring alone with the Ranger wasn't as easy as a boat with side door either. Good Luck

Thanks, Hippocampus! I also have the 42 Nordic Tug, which measures out at a hair less than 52 feet LOA. However, it never occurred to me to check the draft…. I will do that next time the boat is hauled!

LOL
Let's be honest with each other .... It will be difficult to impossible to find a well kept used mid 30ft boat at an acceptable price. Same can be said for a lower 40ft boat.
Now we just need to define "acceptable price".
Yes, you can order a new boat with all the current whistles and bells but, I suspect, no one wants to wait 2-3 years. Perhaps that explains why the used boat market is so hot.

Last edited:
It is possible to find a used, well kept boat. We are under contract for a Nordic tug 32 that just surveyed well. It likely comes down to an “acceptable price” which is going to be subjective and boat specific and determined by the current market.

Back
Top Bottom