Is there “the” coastal cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there any consensus on the highest quality coastal cruisers (say Alaska to Mexico, able to comfortably transit between protected waterways where it would spend its time and would be optimized for.) Anything new, definitely under 75’, able to be handled by a couple? For this purpose, assume one won the mega lottery, and production or established designs.
I love the question as I have been pursuing an answer to it for approximate;y 30 years. You name it and I have probably been aboard it! Now in my 81rst year, I have become extremely hard to please when it comes to finding the "perfect coastal cruiser." I sold my Ocean Alexander 42 last year and am presently driving a Duffy which allows me to continue to be on the water. Several years ago at a boat show I toured the Hampton 658 and to this day it's the best coastal cruiser I've ever been on. Talk about addressing the small items that one never seems to think about.(Me!)
For those of you that Have never been aboard the Hampton 658, the attached video below is a must see!

https://boattest.com/review/hampton-yachts/3623_endurance-658-lrc

Exactly. Metal hull, shaft drive, built by a yard with decades of fishing hull experience. The perfect NW boat.

I'd probably go aluminum, unpainted except for the bottom.

Don't know how that would go over in Mexico...

i'm with the delta crowd. (as small as it is) that's if you could get them to make something that small.
i would only go custom built if i had the dough. nordlund would have been high on my list but they are only doing haulout/repair work since they changed ownership.
westport doesn't make anything that small either do they?

i'm with the delta crowd. (as small as it is) that's if you could get them to make something that small.
i would only go custom built if i had the dough. nordlund would have been high on my list but they are only doing haulout/repair work since they changed ownership.
westport doesn't make anything that small either do they?

No, Westport's smallest now is 112', sadly. The Pacific Mariner 65 and 85 were incredible boats and we even considered a custom version of the 65 after they discontinued it. I think our 85 may be the last one they built.

My son agrees with you. Calls my trawler “ugly” and much prefers your choice of a style like the Sunseeker Manhattan 68 (or a Benetti etc). I tell him,, no covered side decks, too much windage, speed useless due to floating logs, etc etc. and consequently not great for the PNW. That it’s more of a Mediterranean or Florida boat. Am I wrong?

Yes, you're a bit wrong. The speed is still very useful even in the PNW and even in Alaska. There are areas of floating logs, just like areas of traps elsewhere. Windage just isn't a problem. No covered side decks might lead to occasional need of raingear. But as ksanders points out, speed is always of potential value. We did the loop in a Sunseeker Manhattan 65, basically predecessor of the 68 and same size. While the speed wasn't usable in the canals with speed limits, it sure was on much of the open water and the Great Lakes. Cruising speed was 26-28 knots. Total time we averaged about 18-19 knots.

KSanders points out crossing the Gulf of Alaska. When we did so, we were in a boat with a cruising speed of 23 knots and range at that speed of 561 nm. Turns it into a 10 hour run. Reduces the chance of bad conditions dramatically. You can run a fast boat slow, but you can't run a slow boat fast.

Both Billy Joel and Jimmy Buffett went with fairly modest ( sub 100 foot ) custom builds. At one point Billy Joel owned what looks like a commercial lobster boat.

Attachments

• alexa.jpg
    alexa.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Yes, you're a bit wrong. The speed is still very useful even in the PNW and even in Alaska. There are areas of floating logs, just like areas of traps elsewhere.

KSanders points out crossing the Gulf of Alaska. When we did so, we were in a boat with a cruising speed of 23 knots and range at that speed of 561 nm. Turns it into a 10 hour run. Reduces the chance of bad conditions dramatically. You can run a fast boat slow, but you can't run a slow boat fast.

I suppose to Gates and Bezos fuel burn per hour doesn’t matter. My fuel burn would go up 5 x (and range obviously decreasing by 5x) by doubling my normal cruise speed to approach 20kts.

Those Delta built ships look really nice but such a large draft.

Last edited:
The important thing is that some fast boats are good at going slow, others are not so good at it (due to small rudders, hull shape, etc. making for poor tracking or other bad behavior at low speeds). In general, that's more of an issue with boats meant to cruise north of 20 kts than it is with boats meant for a planing cruise in the teens.

Something like your Bayliner or my boat is pretty good at going slow (big enough rudders, enough keel for good tracking, etc.). But you look at an average Sea Ray type and the picture is totally different. There's a 39 foot Sea Ray sitting next to my boat right now. Almost identical in size, a few thousand pounds lighter. Same engines as my boat, but less gear reduction and smaller props. Rudders are half the size at best. No keel, plus props and rudders have their low speed effectiveness limited by deep prop pockets on the Sea Ray. And in the end, it's only a few kts faster than my boat.

I agree, many of the boats that are meant to run up on plane all the time seem to be just as you described.

I think we can have a great definition of "semi displacement". A boat that handles well at displacement speeds and adequate for planing speeds.

That is my Bayliner, and others like it. Really good at displacemewnbt speeds but can get after it when it is called for.

I suppose to Gates and Bezos fuel burn per hour doesn’t matter. My fuel burn would go up 5 x (and range obviously decreasing by 5x) by doubling my normal cruise speed to approach 20kts.

Those Delta built ships look really nice but such a large draft.

At 20 knots....

Boats we own or have owned:

Ribs-2-3 gph
Center Console-18 gph
Performance sport boats-27, 55, 60 gph
Flybridge cruisers 50, 70, 100 gph

All the same at 10 knots,

Ribs-1 gph
Center Console-10 gph
Performance sport boats-12, 20, 20 gph
Flybridge cruisers 9, 14, 18 gph

Both Billy Joel and Jimmy Buffett went with fairly modest ( sub 100 foot ) custom builds. At one point Billy Joel owned what looks like a commercial lobster boat.

Ah, mentioning Billy Joel and his boat (and daughter) Alexa always brings back memories. He's significantly older than me but I grew up on the CT side of Long Island Sound and I'll always love his music.

My vote would be a Fleming. Quality build and every time I walked down to it on the dock I would be struck with the beautiful lines.

My vote would be a Fleming. Quality build and every time I walked down to it on the dock I would be struck with the beautiful lines.

I agree they are beautiful. And they look similar after decades so if one is satisfied with older 3208’s versus newer Cummings or MAN’s can get something very well maintained.

Ah the 55, 58 or 65? For the couple where one single hands it at times.

I agree they are beautiful. And they look similar after decades so if one is satisfied with older 3208’s versus newer Cummings or MAN’s can get something very well maintained.

Ah the 55, 58 or 65? For the couple where one single hands it at times.

Wifey B: 58 or 65. Just better layout, especially of master bedroom. :D

I'm being bias, but I have to say our vessel, a 2008 GB EU 47 with the extended cockpit.

- It'll do 15 knots at 30 GPH or 20 knots at 40 GPH.
- Its simple to single hand because of the lower freeboard than a pilothouse boat.
- Easier to find a slip than a Fleming, or ay 60' LOA boat
- Much less expensive to buy.

I'd say the only draw back is range. Capped around 275 Knots at those speed above.

I love the 58’ Fleming but could be very content with a 55…

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom