Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 10:04 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Thank You and Moving On.

We have been cruising SEAK since mid-May and are having a blast. We have met many TFers in Alaska who have thanked me for our information that we have posted and updates on this and other trawler forums. They urged me to hang in there and to continue posting here.

In the month I was suspended I have learned TF needs me more than I need them. I have also found other trawler forums that respect folks who speak their mind in a respectful way. Most other forums have a "due process" in their community rules when things get out of hand.

I have been on this forum for a long time and have made useful contributions and I have read many many other posts that have helped me in the care and repair of ASD. I also have a wealth of information regarding SEAK, Canadian Customs and the amount of fun you can have here. None of that will be posted here.

However, I will be moving on as I no longer feel welcome by those that run this site.

It's a hard choice for me as I really believe most folks here just want to have fun boating and gain information on repairs and new gear. Unfortunately that is no longer the case here. Boating has taken a second place in the forum. I fully expect this post will be deleted and I most likely will be banned for life. But that doesn't bother me anymore, because I now know the truth.

Hope everyone has a great time this summer. Have awesome cruises and most of all BE SAFE!
Old 06-18-2021, 10:06 PM   #2
FWT

City: Centreville
You will be missed.

Seriously.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
members like you are in a minority here, just politics you know, now one less.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:23 PM   #4
FWT

City: Centreville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Shall we at least try to maintain some grace, some manners?

It wouldn't hurt to at least try. A little.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:35 PM   #5

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
Such a shame.

I’d like to follow along and learn more about the AK trips.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
ASD,
So sorry to hear that you're leaving, I guess I was away for a bit a month ago and missed all the stink. I'm going to have to go back and see what was said to offend someone to this degree. There are plenty here that speak their mind, some forget we are all entitled to a opinion, even if we don't like others opinions they are just that and its only worth something to the originator. I often don't agree with the ideals some express but I still think people have to be able to express their opinion, if I don't like it I don't read it.
Its a big country out there, plenty of room for all of us and our big heads and opinions.
Your posts will be missed,
Hollywood
Old 06-18-2021, 11:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Today`s Board says the" Boating has taken a second place in the forum" statement is not so.
It would surprise if your posts about boating led to moderation. Easy to post about boating,to the exclusion of all else, if you so choose.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
You will be missed quite a bit, but I do not agree with a good part of what you said.

This is a boating site, and we need to leave our politics at the door.

There are conservatives and liberals here. There are vaxers, and anti vaxers here.

but here all those differences go away

Here we are a community of boaters, and focus on the boating topics that are the foundation of our little community.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:34 AM   #9
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Just cant help yourself, shame!
Old 06-19-2021, 06:39 AM   #10
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I hate to see an active and knowledgeable contributor leave. I do hope you reconsider.

One of the things I love about this forum is that it's a smaller group than many other forums, and a larger percentage of the posts are of interest to me specifically, as a trawler owner.

Frankly, it's a shame that we (collectively) have been influenced by media to pick a side and develop animosity for anyone on "the other team." It's disappointing that civil discourse and debate is taboo; like fraternizing with the enemy. We're reduced to hurling talking points at each other, never listening to the other side or acknowledging the nuance in every issue.

I think ksanders' put it better than I can:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
You will be missed quite a bit, but I do not agree with a good part of what you said.

Here we are a community of boaters, and focus on the boating topics that are the foundation of our little community.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #11

City: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Miss Maui
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Hate to see you go

I missed the kerfuffle as well. Politics has become a no-go zone. IMHO we should be allowed to express our political opinions, and differences, in a polite and civilized manner. Unfortunately many people are incapable of doing so.

Boating in the Pacific NorthWest makes it difficult to avoid politics. Wanting to visit Canada leads to COVID, which leads to “vaccines,” which leads to government mandates, which leads to … politics. Visiting Seattle leads to Antifa and BLM, which leads to personal safety and defunding the police which leads to … politics. Fuel prices… yep, politics.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2021, 08:41 AM   #12
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Moving on, good choice, have a great summer ASD, safe travels.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:02 AM   #13
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
ASD, I do wish you would reconsider.
When I find the find a subject is becoming too political, I remove myself from part of the forum.
I have been chastised once or twice, I take no offense. I figure I deserved it. I try to be more 'vague' in my comments if I elect to remain in that forum. <LOL>
Old 06-19-2021, 09:22 AM   #14
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

There are conservatives and liberals here. There are vaxers, and anti vaxers here.

but here all those differences go away

Absolutely agree....
Old 06-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #15

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: VAGABOND
Vessel Model: MARINE TRADER 34
I have strong (and, obviously, correct) views on multiple polarizing subject matters, such as politics, corruption, stupidity (obviously of those who disagree with me), vaccines, COVID, etc. BUT, as a lifelong sailor and boater I do not come to the TF to read peoples views and opinions on such matters. I’m here for the shared love of boats and boating and the enjoyable, and very helpful, access to the huge amount of knowledge and experience that this site contains. I can go to other places to read/access/disagree/agree with opinions and commentary that have nothing to do with, or only very indirectly, boats - especially trawler types. Surely others can do the same……..
Old 06-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster_in_edmonds View Post
I missed the kerfuffle as well. Politics has become a no-go zone. IMHO we should be allowed to express our political opinions, and differences, in a polite and civilized manner. Unfortunately many people are incapable of doing so.

Boating in the Pacific NorthWest makes it difficult to avoid politics. Wanting to visit Canada leads to COVID, which leads to “vaccines,” which leads to government mandates, which leads to … politics. Visiting Seattle leads to Antifa and BLM, which leads to personal safety and defunding the police which leads to … politics. Fuel prices… yep, politics.

Good luck!
Good summation of how politics have infiltrated supposedly non political web sites and boating life in the PNW. But for ASD and many serious cruisers putting some miles under the keel is a wonderful antidote for TF malaise.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:55 AM   #17
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Red Stripe
Vessel Model: Monaco Cayman 35' diesel pusher
Tom, you will be missed on here, by me and others. I thank you again for helping get Beachcomber around the coast and to Seattle. You were a welcome addition to the crew of many men and I appreciate you for it.

Safe travels, kiss your bride for me, and keep her catching those big silver things.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #18
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Some people just can't avoid making everything political. And some people just can't avoid taking the bait when someone else expresses an opposing political opinion. Frankly, I have to feel a little sorry for both of those types.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:10 AM   #19
Guru

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Boatless at present
My dad taught me every person has something to teach me. It’s up to me to learn. One can disagree without being disagreeable. I enjoy any interaction where I get to hear different ways of thinking. I’m sorry you’re leaving. Keep your keel wet, folks on the boat and moving forward. Best to you and yours.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #20
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I not only do not care what your politics or persuasions are, I pretty much refuse to read them here if I start to see them presented. I am working on my mental tape rewind mechanisms to erase "politics" I accidentally read because it makes me feel imposed upon when somebody slips some political crap into the midst of a boating topic. I am happier that way, just as watching as little "news" as I can get away with is helping.
Closed Thread