Old 01-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
This should help.

TOWING TIP - you might have noticed from my recent video of the Nordhavn 68 cruise to Sydney we towed the ownerís 21 Boston Whaler. Having grown up towing our gamefishing boats behind our mothership (the Norman R Wright built South Pacific II) from Brisbane to Cairns and return annually for some 40+ years, it would be fair to say Iíve had some experience towing, and because of this I was apprehensive about this challenge.........continued

https://www.facebook.com/13408033009...9305097575530/
Good one! Especially like the rescue swimmer ending.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #22
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Good one! Especially like the rescue swimmer ending.
And the comment about engine up vs down.
I have always been engine down on Suzies to add some drag to prevent surf but apparently Mercs/Mariner can have issues.
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #23
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
I have always been engine down on Suzies to add some drag to prevent surf but apparently Mercs/Mariner can have issues.
Never have towed with the engine(s) down.
Always have towed a RIB so approaching and boarding the dinghy was easier.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
I've got a small merc. It does "click" when in F and forced to turn in the flow. But, I think most all outboards react that way??

The option is to put the motor in N, thus no clicking. Lots of prop turns, but the seals on the prop shaft see oil on the inside one and water on the outside. Hmmm..
Old 01-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Piece of chain dragging in the water? That way the engine can be out.
Better than the prop windmilling or back filling the engine.
I have no experience with that. It's just a thought.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #26
Guru

Towing bridle...

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...972037/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...971720/enhance
Old 01-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #27
Guru

Under tow...

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...421163/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...421110/enhance
Old 01-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Smitty,
In the pic w the orange floats is the loop just above the floats clear plastic hose to increase the dia of the line? Does it kink badly?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Smitty,
In the pic w the orange floats is the loop just above the floats clear plastic hose to increase the dia of the line? Does it kink badly?
Very observant really - there are 3 plastic hoses braided into the bridle for chafe resistance. The one above the orange floats 'collects' the two 3 stand lead lines from the cleats on the towing boat. That plastic prevents the 3 stand lines from chafing with the amsteel/dyneema tow line. There are also two plastic hoses that run right behind the 3 strand line 'loops' that cleat onto the towing boat. Each of those 3 strand lines cleat through a hawse pipe that routes the line to the inside cleats.
There is also a small leather chafe guard down where the two dyneema lines attach to the single tow line - we use two points of pull on the tows.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Good I like and will remember.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #31
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I'll 2nd or 3rd using 3 strand instead braid for better shock absorber effect. I'm not sure how similar you hull form is to that of our 13 but I have to say it towed beautifully in some pretty crappy rough seas. Getting it positioned on the second or third wake wave back made a difference.
We tilted the engine so that the skeg was just in the water which helped with tracking. Don't worry if the tow horses around a bit.

Floating line can still be sucked into a prop when the boat is in reverse, as I once learned first hand.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #32
Guru

No twisting or hockling on the 3 strand?
Old 01-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
No twisting or hockling on the 3 strand?
I do not know if you are asking me but we have two bridles that are almost identical except for capacity (weight ratings).
Each one has been used for more than 6-7 seasons with the heavy one at about 10 seasons total- that's the one in the picture.
The pics are taken at season 32 and the bridle looks just about the same now as it did then - given the anti-chafe looks like it has been working.
It has pulled many different dinghies between 16' and 24' over the years with never a problem - right about 800 miles under tow each year. Towing legs are typically at 100 nmiles or less with destinations like Block Island, Pt Judith, Mystic, Kingston NY etc - some pretty rough areas in between these spots.
The RIB you see in the pictures is the heaviest we towed a 24' RIBCAT with twin 150HP 4 stroke Yamahas , held 95 gals fuel, 15 gallons water, had a hydraulic lowering ramp at the front - a heavy tow.
When we towed our 19' Rib with a 115 Yamaha we could hardly tell it was even back there - towed real nice as well.
The bridles are in the garage hanging on the wall and they look more or less like new except for the aforementioned chafe gear wear.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #34
Guru

Towline after the last season used....

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...534505/enhance

Picture of RIB under tow ....

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...139922/enhance
Old 01-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We towed a 18.5 Key West, center console last year around/from the Berry's to Vero Beach via Lake Worth. No problems towing. The tow line was 75 feet plus the length of the bridle that probably added another 20'. Once in the ICW, we shortened the tow line to 50'.

I probably wouldn't do it again only because we're full displacement. We couldn't go fast enough to get the Key West on/out of the water and to maintain 6.5-7 knots our fuel burn went up 50%.

It was nice in the Berry's though, the additional mobility/access to other (skinny) waters without having to move Hobo pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0029.jpg   IMG_0031.jpg   h11.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #36
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
No issues with 3 strand for this purpose or anchoring or as a spring line.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:59 AM   #37

City: =
Vessel Name: Nimiane
Vessel Model: Finn 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We towed a 18.5 Key West, center console last year around/from the Berry's to Vero Beach via Lake Worth. No problems towing. The tow line was 75 feet plus the length of the bridle that probably added another 20'. Once in the ICW, we shortened the tow line to 50'.

I probably wouldn't do it again only because we're full displacement. We couldn't go fast enough to get the Key West on/out of the water and to maintain 6.5-7 knots our fuel burn went up 50%.

It was nice in the Berry's though, the additional mobility/access to other (skinny) waters without having to move Hobo pretty cool.

Larry,
I'm interested in knowing why you have the tow so far behind the mothership? Is it because you tow at a fast speed?
I have my tow closer - riding the wake from Nimiane - as this affords my towed vessel a smoother ocean surface - less chance of being smashed from side on waves.
But hey my boat is a minnow and only going 6Knts. (dinghy 3.7 mtrs and all up 100 kg)
Regards.
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #38
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
Larry,
I'm interested in knowing why you have the tow so far behind the mothership? Is it because you tow at a fast speed?
I have my tow closer - riding the wake from Nimiane - as this affords my towed vessel a smoother ocean surface - less chance of being smashed from side on waves.
But hey my boat is a minnow and only going 6Knts. (dinghy 3.7 mtrs and all up 100 kg)
Regards.
This was a first for us towing such a big tender and with it back at around 95’, it still looked close. Also, when we were crossing the Gulf Stream, I thought I might need the extra distance if the seas turned bad, which they didn’t, fortunately. Mostly, just from my lack of experience.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #39
Guru

Larry, I run a KW1720. In the keys for a week with no bottom paint, and does OK. How long did you run in the islands? Looks like urs is a clean bottom too.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #40
TF Site Team

Quote:
Larry, I run a KW1720. In the keys for a week with no bottom paint, and does OK. How long did you run in the islands? Looks like urs is a clean bottom too.
It was there for almost 5 months. We had it for 2 of those. Part of the deal was the usage and we tow it back to the States for the owners. A pretty good trade for us. I cleaned the bottom in the water usually about every 2-3 weeks and there wasnít much. Itís amazing how little growth attached it self to hull.

The KW lives on a trailer in South Georgia for day use so it didnít make sense to paint it for just one season.