Tender dinghy questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my second RIB. Jet powered is a "never again". Current one is a BRIG outboard and it is well made, in Eastern Europe, not China. The pure inflatables are not comfortable enough for these old bones.
Would prefer a real boat. Ribs are stable but the tubes take up all the room. They puncture and can be heavy. Upon retirement I'm going to build a kit boat. Tough, light weight, can make them unsinkable, and they are more efficient, as is the aluminum Johnboat mentioned. Much prettier also.

I have a 9ft inflatable BRIS that I pair w/ an e-propulsion spirit electric motor. Perfect for ship to shore when moored or on anchor in a harbor. Definitely not a long-distance solution but perfect for our uses, super portable, and don't have to worry about gas spilling, etc. when transporting.

I have been a Boston Whaler guy -- have owned seven of them -- all pre 1995. However, as a tender for Fintry and Morning Light, as well as going around the world, I much prefer inflatables. We still own an Avon Hypalon Roll-Up that went around the world with us -- it's fine. On Fintry we used a 12' Highfield aluminum RIB with a 20hp Yamaha. On Morning Light we have a 10' brand x. All work.

Unless you are going to use it strictly to get from the dock to a mooring or other very short trips, get the largest one you can fit on the mothership. You'll be drier and more comfortable at anything over idle speed.

Towing is fine in reasonable conditions, but as noted above, it requires extra care while docking. We don't tow for more than maybe a half day coastal passage.

Jim

Thanks to everyone for all the input. Looks like I need more research.

I have had my 10' Achilles since 1998. Yes it has some patches and I have had to replace a couple valves but it still holds air and gets lots of use. So I'm recommending anything Achilles. The 10' is small to row with four but fine to motor with four. I put the optional second seat in so I could motor without sitting on the tube.

What are your thoughts about towing the tender?
I do that if I’m spending months on the hook and plan to hook more than cruise from day to day. I tow a 14’ Whaler that is normally small enough to be easily acceptable at most dingy docks. With 50 HP it serves as a go fast get-there toy. On the hook or technical maneuvering, I tie it to the hip.
All dingys are a PIA at times so go small if you won’t use it much.

It can be done, but most will try to avoid it. There are plenty of ways towing can go wrong, especially in less than perfect weather. And it can be a headache when docking or in other situations.
I disagree, but I understand if seas are very very choppy. In the San Juan Islands, the first time I need my dinghy, it gets towed (on a 6 ft painter) until returning to my home slip when it is hoisted back onto boat deck for docking. It is also safer to have dinghy in the water already if we (God forbid) ever need to abandon ship. [emoji569][emoji569][emoji924][emoji4]

I disagree, but I understand if seas are very very choppy. In the San Juan Islands, the first time I need my dinghy, it gets towed (on a 6 ft painter) until returning to my home slip when it is hoisted back onto boat deck for docking. It is also safer to have dinghy in the water already if we (God forbid) ever need to abandon ship. [emoji569][emoji569][emoji924][emoji4]

I can disagree with this too.

But....the truth is somewhere in between most all posts as the posts can't cover all owners, all boats, all situations.

I have towed dinghies or been with friends towing starting almost 60 years ago and 15 years assistance towing all sorts of thing and vessels of all sizes. No one size fits all...

Keep in mind, not all dinghies tow equally. Some tow very well and can be almost ignored without them doing anything questionable, while others are not so tow friendly. That's what leads to my general "I don't like planning to tow it full time" attitude. Depending on the needs, specific dinghy, and speeds involved, towing may be reasonable. But I wouldn't just assume that you can tow whatever you choose to buy and that it'll be fine in less than perfect conditions.

I see your in Ocean Springs.

For Gulf Coast work I have a 9' hypalon Mercury with 5hp. The hypalon is a soft bottom and I can roll it up and store in lazarette or trunk of car. Outboard rides on a bracket.
On the gulf you are usually grounding on sand, and not going that far. I also don't use it alot. When inflated it rides on the cabin top.

Back
Top Bottom