To the Teak Deck Naysayers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Teak decks aren’t really teak decks. The teak is just a decorative covering on a plywood deck, steel deck or whatever the structural deck is. It’s a high end decorative covering kinda like a kitchen w a cork floor. I suppose a real teak deck is laid down on wood deck beams. But I doubt if anybody here has such a boat.

In addition to insulation, the teak on the decks of US Navy heavy cruisers and battleships served to mitigate the effects of shrapnel bouncing around and injuring topside personnel by capturing the flying bits as they stuck into the wood.

Also the natural oil in teak, rust proofed the steel decks and any wood splinter shrapnel wounds caused less infections because of teak oils antiseptic properties. The nominal 2” x 4” planks had bolt down fasteners with bung covers. Salt water and holy stoning was the only treatment used to keep the teak in 4.0 condition.

Teak decks aren’t really teak decks. The teak is just a decorative covering on a plywood deck, steel deck or whatever the structural deck is. It’s a high end decorative covering kinda like a kitchen w a cork floor. I suppose a real teak deck is laid down on wood deck beams. But I doubt if anybody here has such a boat.

Teak is not only decorative, it is functional......Non skid, insulation, cooler on feet....

Sure it looks better than some alternatives, but its looks aren't the only reason for them.

Fake teak?.....maybe half way to functional.

Last edited:
Teak is not only decorative, it is functional......Non skid, insulation, cooler on feet....

Sure it looks better than some alternatives, but its looks aren't the only reason for them.

Fake teak?.....maybe half way to functional.

On a hot day, no barefoot walking on fake teak, it will burn the skin off your feet. Real teak won't.

Maybe you're like me, you don't have any teak, but you definitely like looking at teak. If so, then you might enjoy watching this excessively anal retentive european hipster recaulk his teak. He also did one about bungs recently.

My favorite excerpt: 'I could do a whole video on how to repair caulk guns...'

Absolutely spellbinding stuff.

Agree, they are far from decorative for all the reasons Scott enumerated, as well as the Navy's.

Back
Top Bottom