Old 09-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Hubby B as Wifey B is now driving:

First, just something for you to think about. In Fort Lauderdale, residential recycling is heavily emphasized. Businesses are under no requirement whatsoever to recycle.

Second, recycling is different in every town. Fort Lauderdale is a single stream program, but even single stream programs differ in what you can put in.

We use standard 15" trash compactors which compact about 5:1 or 6:1. Kitchenaid, Whirlpool, GE and others are all pretty much the same. Viking makes professional models and we can't tell the difference. There are bigger, more powerful units, but definitely not practical for boats.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stainless-steel-kitchenaid-trash-compactors-ktts505ess-64_1000.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	81084

We started by tossing everything in it, but this created an issue at home. If we brought mixed trash home, then what would we do with it? So, now the issue was what can't be recycled? We do have a disposal so food isn't an issue other than bones. The only other things we saw we couldn't recycle were paper towels, the plastic freezer wrappings and toothpaste containers. So, we ended up turning the compactor into a recycling only compactor, even though it may not meet the recycling rules of the specific place we are. If it doesn't, then it goes to the dumpster.

It gets worse. Then we put in a second compactor for those things that can't be recycled. They take very little more space than trash cans.

We'd not even try to separate if it wasn't for what we bring home with us and the "garbage police" as my wife called them. Between marinas not having recycling or it being different than single stream, we find very little of what we deem recyclable when cruising actually goes to recycling.

For most cruisers, we'd recommend a single compactor and no effort to recycle as much as we hate saying that.

As to where we're good and not good in reducing trash. We have food in vacuum sealed bags and we do have canned goods. We also have a lot of plastic water bottles which we try to recycle where possible. We use a good many paper towels. We do have plastic bags when we shop while cruising.

What we don't have is any paper plates or plasticware or any paper or plastic cups.

I'd like to say we had a simple solution. However, we do love the reduction from a compactor.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:25 AM   #22

City: Morehead City, NC
Vessel Name: TODAY
Vessel Model: Mikelson 43 LRC
Thanks, B and B. I have a rarely used icemaker that may be replaced by a trash compactor in the near future.

ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:19 AM   #23
Guru

City: Canaveral
I used to think that trash compactors were a waste - just a yuppy trend. For a house I still donít see the high value since most municipalities have reliable refuse pickup and recycling bins.

However I owned one on my boat that I lived on and it was fantastic. The many comments above are helpful too. If youíre planning on being away from land for long periods then toss the ice maker and install a simple unit from Home Depot.

But I recommend the heavy paper bags that go with them.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Journey
Vessel Model: 1999 Island Gypsy 32
Talking Trash

No glass beer bottles! You might have just crossed the line. Is nothing sacred anymore...
Gray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Iíll second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: We love love love love love having a trash compactor. They're definitely not cheap but if you cruise a lot as you're saying, they're worth it. Maybe we produce more trash than you, but still once you have one you're spoiled and must have it. We use one at home as well.
What she said.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Dog View Post
No glass beer bottles! You might have just crossed the line. Is nothing sacred anymore...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IPA.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	81154  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #27

Ditto the food refuse over the side and getting rid of all boxes before cruising. We mounted a can crusher for soda/beer cans and hand collapse individual water bottles.
mom-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Plantation, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Greetings from NJ!
Municipal marinas are a good stop for that, fuel, water tank fills and pump outs. We never stay out of a marina more than a week at a time. If you do, store it in plastic trash bags on deck somewhere shaded.
Also take stuff out of the boxes before bringing on the boat. Cuts down on a lot of trash.
Helps prevent roach infestations as well! The little critters live in the cardboard boxes... The big ones here in South Florida eat the boxes.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #29
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom-mac View Post
Ditto the food refuse over the side and getting rid of all boxes before cruising. We mounted a can crusher for soda/beer cans and hand collapse individual water bottles.
Be careful, not exactly legal in the US unless following MARPOL regs.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #30
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABfish View Post
B and B- could you share details of your trash compactor and its usage?

I'm learning that trash management is a royal pain when not at the dock. Next trip, I'll follow someone else's suggestion to remove as much packaging as possible before casting off. I'll also prohibit guests from bringing glass beer bottles!

I would love a trash compactor, but don't have the practical space for one. We (really my wife) get rid of as much packaging as possible before stuff gets put on the boat. This is particularly true when leaving for a 1 or 2 week trip. It is often very difficult or very expensive to find a place to dispose of garbage so we try to reduce what we produce as much as possible.

We also recycle as much as we can. We separate out the recycling and when we find recycle containers, we get rid of it. If we can't find a recycling location, we dump it when we are at a marina that doesn't have problems with garbage.

I drink beer. I have also switched from glass to cans. There is good beer out there in cans these days. The cans are a lot lighter and take less volume than bottles. Plus, cans can't break.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #31
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
For us anything natural goes in the water.
The rest goes in small ex shopping bags that go in a bin in the cockpit and when that's full the lazaret.
Reality is it takes over a week to fill the bin.

Wine bottles simply go back in a box.

Usually every week we pull up on land somewhere in the dinghy and feed it all into bins at the local park/ jetty.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom-mac View Post

We don't put any food refuse over the side. Not only is it illegal, it can't mess with the local ecology. Keep in mind that we are never beyond 3 miles from shore.

I think plastic water bottles are a huge problem. Yes, we have them on board. The only reason we do is that it is an argument that I've not yet won with my wife. She drinks from plastic water bottles. I don't. While I deal with the garbage and recycling on the boat, I make her deal with the plastic water bottles.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-25-2018, 12:24 AM   #33
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I would love a trash compactor, but don't have the practical space for one. .
Do you have trash can's aboard? If you can't build a compactor in, a portable one takes very little more space than a kitchen trash can. They are 15" x 15". A 13 gallon kitchen can is larger. Your trash has to go into something and if it's crushed to 20% of it's size, it's very likely to take up less space.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:52 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Do you have trash can's aboard? If you can't build a compactor in, a portable one takes very little more space than a kitchen trash can. They are 15" x 15". A 13 gallon kitchen can is larger. Your trash has to go into something and if it's crushed to 20% of it's size, it's very likely to take up less space.

Interesting idea... Iíll look at that.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-25-2018, 06:15 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
If wine drinkers like us decent quality box wines for everyday save a lot of weight and space and EZ to dispose of when finally MT.
Save the better bottles for special occasions.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 AM   #36
FF
Guru

Although I prefer bottles , beer in many cans can be frozen without breaking the can.

As the freezer slowly empties beer can be used as a Eutetic fluid , making longer hold over times easy.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:00 AM   #37
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Two things that help reduce trash a lot, which have both been mentioned ITT, are plastic water bottles and glass beer bottles. No longer any reason to have either on board and in the case of the water bottles there is no reason for them to exist at all in anything but an emergency situation.

I love craft beer, it's pretty much all I drink now. More and more breweries are offering their beer in cans now. The can is even going through an upsurge in popularity among beer snobs (like me). Total Wine offers huge shelves full of quality beer in cans. All cans are now lined, the can does not affect the taste whatsoever.

I've finally almost won the bottled water argument with my wife, though it took a really long time, which shows the power of marketing, I guess. They have no reason to exist...they are expensive, inconvenient, a health risk and terrible for the environment. I love my hydro flask, it keeps water cold, even on blistering summer days. I leave it in my closed up truck here in Florida all day long and the water still stays cool. A plastic water bottle in that situation basically cooks BPAs or other harmful chemicals into the water. My wife bought a dozen attractive glass water bottles (they look like old fashioned milk bottles), which she refills and keeps in the fridge. They work a lot better than the plastic ones.

We keep a gravity feed filter pitcher on the counter in the boat and refill from it. Probably overkill since we make our own water, but my wife likes it, so no biggie.

Here's a hydro flask link: https://www.hydroflask.com/ There are other water bottle brands out there that are good as well.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
I've finally almost won the bottled water argument with my wife, though it took a really long time, which shows the power of marketing, I guess. They have no reason to exist...they are expensive, inconvenient, a health risk and terrible for the environment.

Maybe there is hope for me yet. I will keep working on my wife and see if I can finally get rid of the water bottle scourge on my boat.

Dave
SPOT page