Survey Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most states recognize a cause of action for intentional interference with prospective economic advantage. You would be in dangerous territory, IMO, probably not worth the risk. As a practical matter, however, how would you expect to offer the survey to prospective buyers? Certainly neither the seller nor his broker has any self interest, or duty, to make that offer for you.

It is not an uncommon occurrence. As a surveyor it has happened to me several times per year. It's a very small community and word of who has done a survey on a specific boat travels easily within a local area.

Went through this. Potential buyer had a survey done then declined purchasing. Seller told me this. I asked seller for contact info of prior potential buyer. Seller abliged. I contacted prior potential buyer and picked his brain for his thoughts as to why he declined. I also asked for a copy of the survey. He gained approval of surveyor and forwarded me an electronic copy. I did offer to pay 50% of survey if he would send the original. He never sent it. I did purchase boat with much more cost effective knowledge and used survey to gain a more than justified price. Worked out great and am now friends with the seller.

Went through this. Potential buyer had a survey done then declined purchasing. Seller told me this. I asked seller for contact info of prior potential buyer. Seller abliged. I contacted prior potential buyer and picked his brain for his thoughts as to why he declined. I also asked for a copy of the survey. He gained approval of surveyor and forwarded me an electronic copy. I did offer to pay 50% of survey if he would send the original. He never sent it. I did purchase boat with much more cost effective knowledge and used survey to gain a more than justified price. Worked out great and am now friends with the seller.
Sounds like an honest seller and win-win for all.

Back
Top Bottom