Sundowner SD-30 front Cowl vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Viking Princess
Vessel Make
SD30 Sundowner Tug
Hello, I was hoping someone could tell me about the Cowl vent that's used for up front? Mine has been plugged it looks like a Seadog type plug that the cowl can be removed and covered. Should I have the cowl in there? the boat was missing it.

Thank you,
William

Do not quote me about this but I think it may be the engine room air supply.

My BIL had one , the 30, and we were trying to figure out how to improve air flow to the E.R. It wasn't really hot but it was, I guess, a mental exercise.

He sold the boat before we had to worry about it.

Take the fitting off and take a look.

If while running , the E.R. is hot then it might be worth replacing the cowl, if indeed it is the air supply. It's been more than 20 yrs so my memory may be off.

Welcome aboard :thumb:

Yup...engine room fresh air supply. Goes down into false ceiling in hanging closet and into the engine room.

I have a Sundowner 32' and the engine room vent has a grate not a cowl. It has a fan you switch on as needed.

If his 30 is the same as ours, the forward facing cowl scoops air into the engine room, then vents out the metal grate behind the starboard pilothouse door which is about 3' higher than the engine 'room' access hatches.

Thank you, now I know what that stainless vent grate on the side of the pilothouse is. Would you guys recommend using the cowl or going with the fan vent instead. In our marina sometimes gets some Rats that like to walk on boats every now and then. So with the cowl vent I would have to make a grate cover to keep those unwanted visitors out of my engine room.

Thank you, now I know what that stainless vent grate on the side of the pilothouse is. Would you guys recommend using the cowl or going with the fan vent instead. In our marina sometimes gets some Rats that like to walk on boats every now and then. So with the cowl vent I would have to make a grate cover to keep those unwanted visitors out of my engine room.

It never really gets hot enough here, and the ocean is always cold, so the cowl is enough.

Two thumbs up on the grate cover idea for the cowl. A mink gained access to our boat through the cowl for one day before it was discovered, and that was enough! It used a small open plastic tub under the galley sink as a litter box, so we were about as lucky as you can get under such circumstances!!!!

Lesson learned.

I don't have cowls or the like but a lot of lockers. Those lockers are over the winter, not locked, but are not openable unless a heavy bin is moved.

Even my windlass chain entry has a SS chore ball stuffed into it and then an aluminum plate with a slot that the chain fits so it is held in place by the chain. I have had mice aboard through that entry as have others I know.
We have actually seen the little twerps run through the holes into the boat.

Actually the last couple of years, when recommisioning, I remove the chain plate but leave the chore ball. It falls off the chain almost immediately that it exits the chain hole to be reused when I next up anchor.

In our marina we have had otter trouble and I have seen a few mink or similar on the docks. Wildlife is always looking for a home.

One thing to watch for is your exhaust exit as small critters such as mink,
muskrats, have been known to use the exhaust hose as an entry and chew through the hose wall. Sometime sinking the boat. A grid may be needed to stop that. A lot depends on where the boat is moored but keep an eye out for those critters and if you see them consider protecting the exhaust outlet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom