Sticky vinyl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trentmcb

Vessel Name
Queen B
Vessel Make
Riviera 40/aft cabin
We just closed on a 1999 Riviera 40 and the vinyl upholstery was exceedingly “sticky”. The surveyor pointed it out and said that the vinyl was breaking down and there was nothing to be done about it /Concerning, as reupholstering the entire boat would be many, many boat bucks. We spent a day trying different products found on various threads until we stumbled onto “Totally Awesome” cleaner. Not only is it totally awesome, it’s cheap and available at dollar stores, tractor supply and others. It has cleaned and made like new our acre of vinyl.

Nice tip, thanks! Always looking for a good vinyl cleaner.

As for the sticky situation, I suspect someone tried to clean it with a harsh chemical like Acetone. It cleans well but make vinyl seats and fenders tacky. MEK (which you can't easily find any more) works on some vinyls without making them tacky, but you need to test, first.

I wonder what's in Totally Awesome cleaner. Sounds like it would be good to have on board.

Another cleaning tip is "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. Works better than anything else I've ever tried on stainless steel. Just apply, wait, wipe and rinse. Stains which take lots of elbow grease with other cleaners wipe right off. Impossible stains become possible with just a bit of effort.

Good tip. I wonder how it would work on fenders? In the past I have used Castrol Super Clean and it worked well except left them kind of sticky.

Back
Top Bottom