Steel...Linssen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Linssen For Sale

My Linssen Dutch Study 320 is for sale and is located in New Bern NC. For details and pictures please see Eastern NC Craigslist "boats" and enter Dutch in the search block. I can be reached at 941 920 0132

iI have a Linssen Dutch Sturdy 320 here in New Bern NC. It is a fantastic boat and very comfortable. The boat gets lots of comments as it is not something you usually see in the States.

In our experience, this is a false assumption with a quality builder.
We have owned two steel ships built in the Netherlands though neither was a Linssen. We have blasted the hulls to white steel in order to be secure in knowing the coatings were to current standards, so we have seen what lies under the paint.
The steel work and welding has been a work of art with very little faring if any. We recoated with none and the result was the same mirror as prior. These guys are magicians with compound bends in the steel, in how the plates are joined, and in the beauty of the welding.

Photos are of Klee Wyck during recoating.

Well said! I am very happy also with my North Sea Trawler 57' built by Tinnemans BV. in the Netherlands: 6mm steel for hull and 5mm for superstructures. Excellent insulation, no noise, no vibration, professional equipments and fittings.
Of course, there is a price to pay... become a little bit Dutch, I mean accept to keep some paints, pencils and accessories in a secret box aboard to repair small rusty spots or scratches when it happened. After 7 fiberglass yachts ( sail and motor), I will never come back to plastic.
We have had near Gibraltar and on Atlantic coast of Spain, several issues with killerwhales attacking yachts and damaging seriously rudders. With an heavy trawler built in steel, I feel more confident!

Last edited:
And I suspect lots and lots of filler under that pretty paint job.

I have to laugh....Steel boats, do not need to use filler. A good welder is all it takes. We have a steel boat from 1930 and the hull is still in good shape.

Been on a bunch of Linsen and they are very good boats. Rust is no real issue. Plus they are much much easier to work than Glass Fiber boats. No need for the yearly wax job. And if you hit something ...the something is whacked, not the hull

Steel built boats in The Netherlands is still a very alive practice. Ship yards every few miles ( Km actually)

Steel boats transport a lot of cargo, and with less CO2 than trucks, pitty in the US we closed pretty much all the canals

Linssen

Very beautiful boats but like all boats also steel needs maintenance. One of the first boats I wanted to buy was a second hand Linssen. It was owned by an Englishman who had used it in the Mediteranean for quite a few years. He had transported it back to the Netherlands to be sold at De Valk Yachtbrokers.

We had a difference of € 5.000 that couldnot be solved so there was no sale. A couple of weeks later I spoke a surveyor for my President 385 Sundeck that I had bought who told me that he had inspected that particular Linssen. He said that when he inspected the hull he knocked his hammer through the steel of the bow. So they had to cut the bow and had to weld new parts on it.
No big deal he said. Just weld a new steel part which was rather easy. He told me however that the years of a steel boat spent in the Mediteranean should be multiplied by 7 as the sun and salt water had a very big influence on the condition of the boat.

I visited the Linssen Yard and it was quite impressive. But in the Netherlands there are many steel builders who provide good quality ships. And the quality of the preserving paint systems for steel are nowadays of a high quality .

They didnot use much filler by the way at Linssen. :)

Dutch built commercial steel hulled vessels typically last 100 years in salt water. No reason pleasure hulls can’t as well. I own a steel hulled vessel that is 24 years old and passed its recent hull survey at original thickness. Additionally modern coatings can extend that provided repairs are made promptly and correctly should the coatings be compromised.

Linssen Yachts

Hi captains!

I recently joined this forum, and as a Linssen employee, I wanted to react on some of the comments and clearify some things that I've read here. Some members might have seen my posts in another thread already, but I've seen some new questions here.

The headroom on a 35 foot Linssen can be too low for some captains whom play basketball too.:socool:But it has to do with draft: a 35 has a draft of 1 meter (3.3 feet). If you size up to 40 foot or bigger, the draft is 1.2 meters (3,9 feet) and this difference of .6 feet will be noticed in headroom immediatly; even your average basketball player can stand up straight in them! :)

To reply on the filler-issue: the trick is using tension free sheets of metal and weld smoothly and use as little as filler as required. Filler is the weakest link in the construction. The welding seams might need some filler to make them smoother and of course, tubes that are welded on need to be fillered above, so water will flow off, instead of staying in between. A 40 foot hull needs less then 100 kilograms of filler; the metal sheets have hardly any filler on them.

By the way, insulation for our bigger models (>40 foot) is done with rockwool, not EPS.

A steel boat can handle salt water just fine, no better or worse then plastic. Especailly with nowadays coating systems, you don't need to worry too much about it. Yes, it can rust when the paintwork is damaged, but the nice thing about steel is, it's easy to repair: sand the damage and apply new coating and you are protected again. And in reply to Mr. Blu; I suspect you lookad at an older model since a common issue for older steel boats, is the anchor chain locker: if you anchor a lot, the (wet) chain will damage the coating inside the locker. If you don't pay attention to that, it will eventually start to rust, especially on salt water. And then, parts of the bow might need to be replaced. However; we solved that issue in our current generation of boats by installing a thick plastic and self-drained bin inside the chain locker, so the chain can no longer damage the steel.

But if any of you are ever in the Netherland and want to come have a look, just contact me for appointment and I will give you a factory tour, so you can see all production stages yourself. My contact details can be found on our website. And for further questions, you can contact me too, or simply post a reply.

Look forward to hear from you!

Cheers, Rennie

Last edited:
Hi captains!

I recently joined this forum, and as a Linssen employee, I wanted to react on some of the comments and clearify some things that I've read here. Some members might have seen my posts in another thread already, but I've seen some new questions here.

The headroom on a 35 foot Linssen can be too low for some captains whom play basketball too.:socool:But it has to do with draft: a 35 has a draft of 1 meter (3.3 feet). If you size up to 40 foot or bigger, the draft is 1.2 meters (3,9 feet) and this difference of .6 feet will be noticed in headroom immediatly; even your average basketball player can stand up straight in them! :)

To reply on the filler-issue: the trick is using tension free sheets of metal and weld smoothly and use as little as filler as required. Filler is the weakest link in the construction. The welding seams might need some filler to make them smoother and of course, tubes that are welded on need to be fillered above, so water will flow off, instead of staying in between. A 40 foot hull needs less then 100 kilograms of filler; the metal sheets have hardly any filler on them.

By the way, insulation for our bigger models (>40 foot) is done with rockwool, not EPS.

A steel boat can handle salt water just fine, no better or worse then plastic. Especailly with nowadays coating systems, you don't need to worry too much about it. Yes, it can rust when the paintwork is damaged, but the nice thing about steel is, it's easy to repair: sand the damage and apply new coating and you are protected again. And in reply to Mr. Blu; I suspect you lookad at an older model since a common issue for older steel boats, is the anchor chain locker: if you anchor a lot, the (wet) chain will damage the coating inside the locker. If you don't pay attention to that, it will eventually start to rust, especially on salt water. And then, parts of the bow might need to be replaced. However; we solved that issue in our current generation of boats by installing a thick plastic and self-drained bin inside the chain locker, so the chain can no longer damage the steel.

But if any of you are ever in the Netherland and want to come have a look, just contact me for appointment and I will give you a factory tour, so you can see all production stages yourself. My contact details can be found on our website. And for further questions, you can contact me too, or simply post a reply.

Cheers, Rennie

Thanks for the reply Rennie :thumb:

Hi captains!

Cheers, Rennie

Hi Rennie,

Nice way to explain about the Linssen wharf and beautiful boats. And yes, the boat was in 2005 already an old one. I presume it was the anchor locker, as you explain.

The President that was surveyed and that I bought had osmosis. Also not a big problem the surveyor said. He gave a floating guarantee of another 25 years. He explained that osmosis was more a commercial issue than a technical problem.
With that in mind I convinced the seller of the plastic President to lower the initially agreed purchase price with twenty percent. Everybody happy.

The President still floats and I never had anything repaired regarding osmosis.

Hi Rennie,

Nice way to explain about the Linssen wharf and beautiful boats. And yes, the boat was in 2005 already an old one. I presume it was the anchor locker, as you explain.

The President that was surveyed and that I bought had osmosis. Also not a big problem the surveyor said. He gave a floating guarantee of another 25 years. He explained that osmosis was more a commercial issue than a technical problem.
With that in mind I convinced the seller of the plastic President to lower the initially agreed purchase price with twenty percent. Everybody happy.

The President still floats and I never had anything repaired regarding osmosis.

Hi Mr. Blu,

it sounds like you made yourself a good deal there, allthough I have no expertise on osmosis. But I just noticed you are located in Waalre, so that is close by to us. Enjoy the Dutch waterways with The President and if you ever being signaled and waved at by the captain of a small Dutch steel cruiser with the name "Op Dreef", that would be me! :socool:

Hi Mr. Blu,

it sounds like you made yourself a good deal there, allthough I have no expertise on osmosis. But I just noticed you are located in Waalre, so that is close by to us. Enjoy the Dutch waterways with The President and if you ever being signaled and waved at by the captain of a small Dutch steel cruiser with the name "Op Dreef", that would be me! :socool:

Thanks Rennie,

I will be looking out for you and your boat. Our boat is located at Heeg in Friesland.

The President by the way has been sold and I now own a Beneteau 52 Swift Trawler named Mr. Blu.

Good luck with your exciting job. Must be very satisfying to sell such beautiful boats.

Thanks Rennie,

I will be looking out for you and your boat. Our boat is located at Heeg in Friesland.

The President by the way has been sold and I now own a Beneteau 52 Swift Trawler named Mr. Blu.

Good luck with your exciting job. Must be very satisfying to sell such beautiful boats.

Thanks! And I will keep an eye out for Mr. Blu in de Frisian waters too, this season!
And yes, it is one of the best jobs in the world! :)

Back
Top Bottom