Old 10-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #21
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I guess we lucked out with Irma. After all said and done, the company who holds our insurance did not raise its rate.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #22
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Wonder how loopers at Joe Wheeler are going to make out now and when they get to the gulf? Carrabelle and Apalachicola might be in pretty bad shape.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #23
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Wonder how loopers at Joe Wheeler are going to make out now and when they get to the gulf? Carrabelle and Apalachicola might be in pretty bad shape.
I was thinking that too. The traditional crossings from the Panhandle cities might be considerably stretched. Folks doing the Big Bend route may find the waters to shallow and silted, even for boats like mine.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #24
Guru

A floating dock seems like a good idea until the storm surge exceeds the height of the piling.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #25

City: La Paz, BCS
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Good luck Rich, and all the other TF boaters down there. Sending you positive thoughts. Stay safe.

Cheers, Bill
Old 10-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
A floating dock seems like a good idea until the storm surge exceeds the height of the piling.
That's why have very tall pilings, at least 15' above. Now, when you get record hurricanes like this one, still threatens.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That's why have very tall pilings, at least 15' above. Now, when you get record hurricanes like this one, still threatens.
I guess that safety issue hinges on when the max storm surge hits and when high tide happens.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I guess that safety issue hinges on when the max storm surge hits and when high tide happens.
All changing as seas rise and temperatures of the water rises. It's an entirely new picture.

I'm still shocked at some marinas being built with pilings too short. Making them taller is a minor cost compared to all the other costs of construction.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #29

City: Kiln,MS
last update has it at 150 and still strengthening. it still has 50 miles left before land fall.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAT View Post
last update has it at 150 and still strengthening. it still has 50 miles left before land fall.
Surge already 6' in Apalachicola. Love that place. Hate to see this for them. Hate it for everyone.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Surge already 6' in Apalachicola. Love that place. Hate to see this for them. Hate it for everyone.

same her. we have 2 guys on standby in Pensacola waiting for the storm to pass. but my gut felling is they wont be able to get very far once it passes.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #32
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Thoughts and prayers for all affected by this storm.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:25 AM   #33
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
It looks worse than I expected. God bless and protect my friends in the Panhandle.
Oh and btw, can a mod change the title of this thread from Hurricane Opal to Micheal?
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:41 AM   #34
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
As I wake up this morning and read the news, the damage is very significant! Looks like some marinas in Panama city really took a hit. Hope we can all get thru this one with no one hurt, but sure looks like some damage.

I've got a dear friend in Panama City with his boat at one of the marinas, as well as a number of friends on this forum and having heard much yet.

Hope the best for all in that area and hope things can get back to normal soon. The best to all in that area, and it seems pretty wide... perhaps major damage from Cedar Key way over to Destin?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #35
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Anyone hear from RG? Hope he is ok.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #36
Guru

Just devastating, whether land or sea, in the prime area in which it hit. You see the photos from Mexico Beach and all you can do is cry for the people impacted. We're talking 155 mph winds with tremendous surge. The nearest we've seen is Maria hitting Puerto Rico. We did have a small area similar in the keys after Irma. It's a bit like the surge of Katrina combined with the force of Andrew. This wasn't a 100 year storm. It was a never before storm. Or perhaps it's a new 100 year storm. The rise from CAT 2 to CAT 4 shows clearly the effect of 4 to 6 degrees warmer water. I'm very much afraid Harvey, Irma, Maria, Florence and Michael are our new normal.

I hope lives lost are very limited. Clearly we have no idea yet of those who may be lost. I hope we do hear from those on TF who were in the area soon. It's just a very sad time. The additional flooding in the Carolinas seems almost anti-climatic when thinking of Michael. However, to those still recovering from Florence, it's one more hit that is very hard to deal with. It's like being down on the ground and ready to get up and another person comes by and kicks you in the head.

Most important are lives lost. However, a lot of people have lost everything. I have seen it several times up close, but still can't imagine what it's like to have to completely start over. I've always felt in watching those having to do so that try as I might I had no idea how they felt.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:55 PM   #37
Guru

City: Anacortes
Finally heard through the grapevine that everybody is okay and the message was “minor damage”. We shall see, but at least everybody is uninjured. No texts have been returned since the storm, it seems that pretty much all wireless communications are still down.

The Mexico Beach video is astounding. Must have had a twister on top of it. My Aunts house is within walking/golf cart distance of PCB, so they were at serious risk. As I feared, everybody stayed. Other Uncles house was not right on the beach, but nestled low among canals and such that storm surge is the big risk of course. This thing came so quick, and the last time they were hit, the worst damage were the ones who left and were not around to quickly respond to prevent flooding. It conditioned a lot of people to the wrong behavior for a cat 4 storm. There is going to be some explaining due when this is all over.

Lack of communication from others in the area at this point is normal and should not be construed as necessarily a bad sign.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #38
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Must have had a twister on top of it.
A hurricane is called a tropical cyclone for a reason. It's one huge twister combined with a wall of water.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #39
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Recieved a text message from Rich Gano he asked to repost here
"we, house, and boat are ok. Little dinged up but sound"
That is good news!
Old 10-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Recieved a text message from Rich Gano he asked to repost here
"we, house, and boat are ok. Little dinged up but sound"
That is good news!
Good to hear. I was in Lynn Haven Monday. Pictures don't even begin to show the level of damage.