Old 10-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #21

City: Wimauma, FL, East Rockaway, NY
Vessel Name: Knot sew Fast
Vessel Model: Pearson Portsmouth
Oh, regarding the zinc plate. That is located on the port side with the western exposure. In 2017 when I purchased and hauled the boat for painting, this plate was about 1/3 gone, so bonding system was working with no changes to it since I became owner.

chiropaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
If the results prove disappointing, you canít go wrong to just fork out to a professional to apply PropSpeed - properly. Hence the professional recommendation.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Courtenay, BC
Vessel Name: Steadfast
Vessel Model: 3870 Bayliner
I have owned various boats, pleasure and commercial, in BC, Canada, for 45 years. I pull my vessel every year normally the except 2017 when I skipped to a two year pull. Never again!

I have never seen barnacles on any of my zincs, even the two year time before pulling. I have used the cold spray on my prop(s) on some years with varied results. I still see build up of barnacles though I find it easier to remove them if the prop(s) were cold sprayed.

In 2018, for the first time, I sprayed the props, struts and shafts. I had only done the props previously. Will be interesting when I pull the boat next spring to see results.

My experience is similar to most folks. The more I use the vessel the less build up I get from barnacles.
Slider70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #24

City: Grenadines
I wish you luck, but why not just use that bottom paint? It looks to be doing a very good job.
Honestly though, in over 5 decades of messing about with boats, mostly professionally, I haven't found a single thing that actually works, even on boats like sports fishing boats that operate almost full time and much of that time at high speeds. The barnacles are just tenacious creatures.
At one point, chasing the big blacks out of Cairns OZ, we were chroming our wheels (very slippery stuff that), more to attract fish than keep the growth down on the wheels, and it did neither!
A couple of years back the Propspeed reps did our prop for free and it didn't impress me enough to pay for the stuff the next year.
The best I've found is regular old antifouling paint, not to say that that stuff does what it is advertised to do well, either.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Re AF on props won’t the copper and bronze together cause problems?
I thought you wern’t supposed to paint props w AF.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #26

City: Grenadines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Re AF on props wonít the copper and bronze together cause problems?
I thought you wernít supposed to paint props w AF.
There's no electrolytic action between copper and silicon bronze (marine bronze), or stainless steel, to speak of. Not that there's much copper in antifouling these days.

I've been painting the running gear on vessels of all types, even steel, with antifouling for over 5 decades and I haven't noticed any indication of it doing any harm.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #27

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Sea Haven
Vessel Model: 1982 PT41 Trawler
We had similar experience. the yard guy said we had sanded too smoothly and recommended we use a rough-ish sandpaper or grind to give more tooth to the coating. We'll see next haul-out.
akflyrod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Re AF on props wonít the copper and bronze together cause problems?
I thought you werenít supposed to paint props w AF.
Practice here with ablative hull a/f,unless using Propspeed,is hard a/f on running gear props/struts/shafts. Ablative is too "ablative" and won`t last. Primer on bare metal (if required),+ 2 coats of hard a/f.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: green cove springs
we have used rustoleum cold galvanizing spray for 6 full seasons on 2 boats: one in long island sound (branford, ct) and the other in florida and bahamas (marsh harbour) with extremely good results. i do a light sand of previous year and then 2 spray coats. no barnacles on the parts i spray (props, shafts, and trim tabs).
Duetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Would be nice to know where green cove springs is. I wish people would put the state they live it so we have an idea where people are.

But Duetto,
I found it works too. But Armor-All works better where I am. Most of my experience has been in SE Alaska .. as in cold water and far less light. I don’t just dab on a little I flood the blades w a brush 3-4 times and sand w fine before. Next time I’ll do hard AF w a primer.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #31
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
I did a test on my boat before I splashed it in June. I have a twin engine boat. I used different coatings on different parts of the underwater running gear. I primed some with a two part primer and other parts I did not. I used cold galvanizing paint on some parts And no ablative paint on others. The best results came from using a primer covered with nonablative paint. On the prop shaft which was clearly the winner, there was zero hard or soft growth when I hauled the boat four months later. The paint did not adhere well to stainless or bronze without a primer.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #32
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duetto View Post
we have used rustoleum cold galvanizing spray for 6 full seasons on 2 boats: one in long island sound (branford, ct) and the other in florida and bahamas (marsh harbour) with extremely good results. i do a light sand of previous year and then 2 spray coats. no barnacles on the parts i spray (props, shafts, and trim tabs).
John runs his boat faster than many of us do.... wonder what if that makes a difference? Meanwhile John, see you in a few months.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #33
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Would be nice to know where green cove springs is. I wish people would put the state they live it so we have an idea where people are.

But Duetto,
I found it works too. But Armor-All works better where I am. Most of my experience has been in SE Alaska .. as in cold water and far less light. I donít just dab on a little I flood the blades w a brush 3-4 times and sand w fine before. Next time Iíll do hard AF w a primer.

Green Cove springs is in Florida on the St Johns river but he told us where his boats were berthed and I believe that is all we need to know.....
"we have used rustoleum cold galvanizing spray for 6 full seasons on 2 boats: one in long island sound (branford, ct) and the other in florida and bahamas (marsh harbour) with extremely good results."
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #34
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duetto View Post
Same good results that we get in Long Island sound except we are on the Long Island side.

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote