sizing quadrant mount autopilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stonechamps

Vessel Name
Pelican
Vessel Make
Bruckmann 50
Hi first post. I have a Monk designed Roughwater 35 that weighed 17000lbs at last haulout and that is getting an autopilot. Due to space restrictions around the quadrant I am stuck with one manufacturer (Jeffa) who offers a small footprint drive unit with 150kg rating or one with 375kg....there is a big price difference and I would love$ to use the smaller one! Any thoughts on how to measure torque/pressure required or simply whether 150kg is going to be enough to turn the rudder reliably in most conditions?

No One yet???

I have to ask, what is the current steering system? Chain, cable, hydraulic?
What kind of money are you looking at vs a suitable hydraulic system? Not trying to be snoopy so you don't have to answer.

I did look Jefa up, read the site as much as they offer and I sort of wonder if you are not paying for a benefit that won't really be applicable to your boat.
I understand the reasoning behind their product but it seems mostly applicable to sailboats and racers who have limited electrical and need the high efficiency. The criticisms they make of hydraulic units may be valid as boat get larger but you are no where near that level so a reversing hydraulic pump should do well for you and likely be as good and give lots of good service. Lots of those available and you should be able to find a cylinder that will easily drive the rudder.

I can think of some ways to do some testing but it won't be simple or easy . And no I am not an engineer or any where near it.
Actually I think the promoters should be able to tell you which drive unit to go for and why.

Welcome!

I don't understand being stuck with one manufacturer. Is an installer telling you that? Challenge it. I have nothing against Jeffa - don't know anything about them - but there are several options for the many boat sizes, styles, install complications, and owner preferences, including budget.

Best of luck with it!

Greg

Boat has chain to cable to quadrant steering. Helm is 16inchs and sprocket is 3 with the quadrant extending 14 inches from the rudderstock.

I have been in contact with owner of sistership who replaced the cable steer with hydraulic with a/p integrated. that install required cutting through bulkhead to lay the ram fore/aft. Not sure there is any cost savings to electing this alternative. Only other 'solution' would be more of a course keeping wheel mounted drive (the boat original option was a Cetec of that ilk)...

I looked at quite a few Rougwaters before purchasing my current boat. The ones I looked at had Benmar Course Setter autopilots installed. Looks like they're still making in business. Autopilots

Although I have admired the Roughwaters from afar I have never been aboard one so don't know the arrangement.

Can you post some photos of the quadrant and the area around it.
I was just thinking?????? that maybe a double ended hydraulic cylinder, would not need to be mounted directly to operate the quad. but mounted a bit away and use the wire as the final link between the two with some sheaves which you presumably already have..

Since you already have the wire may be it can be adapted for the final drive.

Another thought I had is if you go for the Jefa, is that going to spin the steering wheel? If you have spoke handles like a traditional wheel maybe that is going to smack someone. Or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom