Size....not that it matters....of boats of course.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is the size of your largest boat. If you don't own one today, your most recent b

• Under 20'

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • 21-25'

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • 26-30'

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • 31-35'

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • 36-40'

Votes: 57 22.6%
  • 41-45'

Votes: 59 23.4%
  • 46-50'

Votes: 38 15.1%
  • 51-60'

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • 61-70'

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Over 70'

Votes: 7 2.8%

• Total voters
Size

46, really a 42 with 4 cockpit I assume thats a 46.

Size matters

43 Trawler is like a semi for us, for sale so we can get back to sailing a 38.

boat size

Mainship 30

as walter cronkite once said : to the effect at this point in my life i thought i would have a 65 foot boat and a 30 year old wife but the opposite happened

I always say 54 (I know GB has used the same hull and called it a 53,54,55), it really doesn’t matter to me.

42 Kady Trawler live on her all Summer, equipped for cooking even with a pizza oven,on ONLY issue is her speed 9 knots but less than two gallons an hour

LOA largest current boat

57 feet

We were sailors for 50 plus years. We went from a 31’6” Corvette sailboat to an Island Gypsy 32. Both are “length on deck”. Difference beam of Windflower 8’6”. Beam of Moon Dragon 11’0”. Because of the hull shape, it was like moving from a studio apartment to a bungalow. It is not the length that is important but beam and the owner’s comfort level with the living space available. Although we enjoyed Windflower, Moon Dragon will allow us to extent our season by at least 2 months.

KK 42. Length-on-Deck, 42’4”. 45’ overall.

41’+2”

Size matters

Manufacturer and registration documents state 50' CPMY "hull length".
Actual length 58' with bow sprint and swim platform. 13'-6" beam, 18' bridge clearance.

36' That's all I'll admit to.

Kevin

42, 46 counting the pulpit and swim platform.

We were sailors for 50 plus years. We went from a 31’6” Corvette sailboat to an Island Gypsy 32. Both are “length on deck”. Difference beam of Windflower 8’6”. Beam of Moon Dragon 11’0”. Because of the hull shape, it was like moving from a studio apartment to a bungalow. It is not the length that is important but beam and the owner’s comfort level with the living space available. Although we enjoyed Windflower, Moon Dragon will allow us to extent our season by at least 2 months.
Agree. Our 16ft beam in only 37ft makes for a cavernous liveaboard!

Power after sail

We started with 20’ sail boat, then 33, the 34, then a Tartan 4100 for years.
Elderly father in law could no longer climb in and out of the Tartan so we have a Vicem Classic 58, which is actually 62’ and 17’ beam. Large enough to have house size galley and excellent washer dryer package as well as a huge lazerette and lots of other storage

About 41' LOA. I never actually measured it.

What is LOA

Hi Wifey B:

What is the LOA (Length Overall) of YOUR largest boat? And before you answer, I beg to differ with your definition of LOA.

IMHO, LOA has long been a mis-used and misunderstood term, for one main reason: Some pleasure craft boat builders market their boats according to "Hull Length Only" and call it "LOA."

One boat builder told us that his marketed LOA value was Hull Length Only because this is the "Coast Guard-required terminology due to the Coast Guard's very important computation of displacement value."

We had an opportunity to discuss this with two high-ranking Coasties, and they laughed out loud at this alleged "requirement" of the definition of LOA for pleasure craft. Further discussion revealed that the Coast Guard can, when necessary, utilize Hull Length Only and Beam to determine approximate displacement for commercial vessels, and it also is occasionally, but rarely, utilized in investigations of criminal-activity vessels. But the Hull Length Only = LOA definition is utilized primarily by commercial insurance carriers and naval architects.

I would be interested to hear if any Coast Guard members on this forum agree with our local south Florida Coast Guard friends.

Incidentally, this same boat builder who claimed that "Hull Length Only = LOA" is a Coast Guard "requirement" for all boat builders, also claimed our boat weighed 6,000 lbs. But when we had the boat weighed on two different marina TravelLifts and one Florida DOT scale the boat was well over 12,000 lbs, NOT including fuel & water loads, provisions & tools, etc. We can only guess that Mr. Boat-Builder was basing his displacement figure on a bare hull, but it did not matter, because we had already realized that he is a master purveyor of boat marketing b.s.

Now, marinas are a different story. Marinas require an accurate reality-based LOA for obvious reasons:
Maneuvering space in the fairways
Limited space along straight docks

Insurance compliance
Safety Codes compliance

TravelLift requirements
Submerged Land-Lease regulations
Future planning, etc.

And lastly, over the past 40 years, every marine survey that we have had done has included the reality-based LOA. Most of our surveys have also included Hull Length, Length At Waterline and Bridge Clearance, and of course, always included Beam. But my point is that within every single survey, all in Florida, all have included the reality-based LOA. Which is not "Hull Length Only."

I am therefore consistently surprised when I see that some members here apparently did not receive the reality-based LOA data in their boat surveys. But perhaps this measurement is not customarily included by all surveyors.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Last edited:
I am therefore consistently surprised when I see that some members here apparently did not receive the reality-based LOA data in their boat surveys. But perhaps this measurement is not customarily included by all surveyors.

My surveyor didn't measure mine.

Hi Wifey B:

What is the LOA (Length Overall) of YOUR largest boat? And before you answer, I beg to differ with your definition of LOA.

Wifey B: Oops...just waking up this morning and had to research and for the CG there is no such thing as LOA. There is L on the Builder's Certificate and it is furthermost points of the integrated build and does not include add ons such as bow pulpit or separate swim platform. That's the only length they use. They have nice little drawings.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/NVDC/CG1261 Builder's_Certification.pdf

Now states sometimes use different and marinas all call LOA from pulpit to platform or anything else but it makes sense as that must fit in slip or take up space.

So, still for general use that's LOA and there's then LOD and LWL and all sorts of L's but the CG only uses L and has very clear drawings even if they could be prettier.

:oops::oops::Thanx::Thanx::eek:

Hi Wifey B:

What is the LOA (Length Overall) of YOUR largest boat?

Wifey B: I selected Over 70' as my answer. Definition of LOA doesn't affect it. :)

It's 6:42 AM and you people making me think. :nonono:

had first swift trawler 2005 42'. Expect delivery of 2020 47' next month.

Bigger Boat?

We have a 29’ Ranger Tug. It is perfect to entertain six, have dinner for four and sleep two, a small dog and and a few grandkids. It is easy to pilot, sips diesel and is lots of fun.

Wifey B:
It's 6:42 AM and you people making me think. :nonono:

That was my problem when I missed “LOA” and shorted it by 3 feet. Now I feel like selling the boat ;).

Interesting thread. So basically power boats (on TF at least) average about 40ft long.

Makes sense because of affordability: a typical 35-40 year old Taiwan trawler doesn't cost much more than a nice car, and maintenance and moorage are reasonable.

However the poll leans more heavily toward the 50ft mark. I'd agree, as IMO you need to get past the low 40's before the boat and the engine space are big enough for long term comfort, before the weight gets high enough to make you feel like you're not bobbing in a bathtub, and certainly for ocean going work - well, the bigger the better.

B&B, it would be nice to extend this poll to understand how the people use their sized boats. Example, my boat is X feet but I use it mostly for:
  1. Weekend and short coastal trips;
  2. Long term passages where seas can get rough;
  3. Bluewater.

B&B, it would be nice to extend this poll to understand how the people use their sized boats. Example, my boat is X feet but I use it mostly for:
  3. Bluewater.

I'll throw my answer in for that:

38 feet (manufacturer length and LOD, real LOA about 43 feet). Used mostly for weekend and short coastal trips, although this boat has been to Florida and back, so longer trips are definitely do-able.

I'd say it comfortably sleeps 4, can sleep 6 if needed. It'll entertain 6 - 8, anything more gets pretty tight.

3. Bluewater.

Multi (3-12)-day offshore fishing trips typically with 6-8 on board. Seas can get rough, but fishing off the coast of Baja (particularly fishing the Ridge, or the Alijos Rocks, 150nm off shore but 250+nm to safe harbor) is as close as I get to "blue water", though at least one sister ship has been to the Galapagos, and several to Cocos Islands.

Also, weekend club cruises, with as many as 18 (many teenagers) sleeping aboard (only 10 in actual berths, but only 3 on the floor) (having 4 heads helps).

Wifey B: Answer LOA, the legal definition for documentation and registration. :)

Documentation and registration has us at 60.6ft
Including duckboard 64 ft
Dinghy up 67ft

I would love a 70ft version of same.

Full time cruiser but with no time constraints so picks our miles

Last edited:
  3. Bluewater.

Wifey B: I'll bite. :)

Smallest first...41-45'
-Day trips
-Overnighters with just hubby and me.
Maybe quick run to Key West or just Miami or West Palm or Bimini or Fort Pierce or up to Palm Coast.
-Can handle rough seas as CE Cat A. Range only 200 nm or so. Cruises at 35 knots, so good for quick runs.
-Never cook aboard although may warm. No laundry.
:speed boat::speed boat::speed boat:

Largest....over 70'
-Mostly long cruises of 6 weeks to 6 months with breaks docked elsewhere
-Handles rough seas and crossings. Longest crossings to date 1200 nm or so. -Been from WA to Panama Canal to Montreal to both Eastern and Western Caribbean
-Normally 10 or so aboard. Will sleep up to 17 including crew cabins.
-Full meals, laundry, all conveniences of home.
-Cruises at 20 knots. Range at 20 around 1400 nm, at 12 knots over 3000 nm.
:)

And next boat......oh......cruise at 45 knots, WOT of 54. I need to get to sleep as tomorrow is at the builder and it's 22:30 per the people where I am. I really don't like the 24 hour clock. It makes the day too long. :)

Had responded previously but a couple of new questions:
Boat - IG32. LOD 32. LOA 36 including anchor and swim platforms.
Use - we have not had it long enough for history but based on our previous boat experience, sailboat of similar length- weekends to 14 days on the Great Lakes, with the addition of the canal systems in Ontario and NY state.

Back
Top Bottom