Simrad AP44 vs Garmin Reactor 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
On my new boat I have the following:

Garmin 8612 MFD GPS Map
Simrad AP24 Autopilot with AC42 controller computer.

I'm just getting used to it but the AP works reasonably well with the Garmin, however, the Garmin cannot control it... ie: select modes, turn on/off, but it will following the track on the Garmin.

However, all are on the upper helm and need to add plotter and autopilot function to the lower, so I need to buy another control head, most likely the later version AP44 which will work.

But if I convert the Simrad to the Garmin Reactor AP the plotter will control the AP. There is a conversion kit for $2K that will do this using the same pump. With all the little extras, it will cost me about $1300 more to get a Garmin AP installed and I much prefere the same manufacturer (with some exceptions).

BUT, in checking reviews on the Garmin, there's quite a few issues with their AP. I had the Simrad AP44 in my previous boat and it was flawless, so now I'm thinking......

Experiences out there?

=====
On a side note, the Furnuo SCX21 satelite compass has a lot of very excellent recommendations to much improve the AP functions (for either), especially from Panbo, whom I respect. Anyone have one?

Last edited:
Another question.....

Is the Garmin Smart pump worth the cost?

For what it's worth, I have an all Garmin system. First I installed 3 new plotters and open array radar but I kept my old Simrad AP22 AP because a new Garmin Reactor 40/ Smartpump was going to cost me about $4500 with install. I installed the plotters and radar myself but felt like the AP install wasn't something I wanted to tackle. Well... about a year or two later the Simrad AP started giving me problems that I couldn't fix. So rather than spend money replacing parts on an old system I went with the Garmin AP.

With all that said, the Garmin AP has been Ok. The integration is nice. But I didn't think it was all that bad with the Simrad via NMEA0183. Sure, I can control all aspect of the plotter via the MFD but not sure how big a deal that is. In terms of issues, I have had some trouble with calibration. And I did suffer one random "loss" of calibration that appears to be an issue for some who claim they'll lose calibration frequently.

Overall I'm glad I did what I did because I don't think throwing money at an old failing AP was a good way to go. BUT... if my Simrad had been working fine, I don't think I would have made the swap.

Your situation sounds a bit different as you want to add control to a lower station so your decision is a bit different. Overall I've been happy with the Garmin. And yes, I think the smartpump is the only way to go. I would NOT use the retrofit kit and the old pump. In talking with a garmin rep at the Newport boat show a couple years ago, he stated flatly the smartpump was really the only way to go. But it does add significant cost to the system.

I installed the Simrad AP44 in my boat and in the 3 years I have had it I can truthfully say it has been flawless. I also use the Simrad WR10 remote control for when I am fishing and use prescribed "fishing patterns" for steerage.

I just completed installing a new Garman reactor 40 auto pilot with the V2 smart pump in my old 1987 Krogen. Be aware that there are some consequences when you have a one size fits all pump like the V2. This pump is like an over developed child that does not know its own strength. When you can figure this thing, you have to make sure of it the computer knows the limits of your rudder ram stroke. Twice during “At-dock” configuration, the rudder jammed so hard against the stops that I had to bleed the ram fittings to release it. Maybe on a 75 ft twin rudder unit this would be a no-issue, but on a single under 20 cu.in. ram it can produce a lot of force. It took several tries at configuration before reigning it in enough to work with my old capilano 250 helm. The Shadow drive works just fine where Garmin said it wouldn’t, so Garmin Support may not really know the details on the performance of this unit quite yet.

The former Reactor 40 with the 2.1 pump had issues that we all hope the smart pump will resolve.

If I would have had your good working autopilot, I would’t have changed it out for the Garmin for about another year. Give the V2 time to mature (and hopefully come down in price). Meanwhile, I have to say that the features of the Reactor 40 with V2 are a real hoot with the point and click remote. My Admiral loves being out on deck and directing the boat by pointing the remote and pushing the button to go thataway! But under the control of that powerful pump, it will wag my barn-door rudder faster than a duck foot in a hurry. My 2 cents.

Attachments

• EECF8CFC-8F30-4107-B0BD-EA45B009E28D.jpg
    EECF8CFC-8F30-4107-B0BD-EA45B009E28D.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom