Satisfy Speed with fast dinghy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Never known anyone to lose a limb to a jet. :hide:

I hear the criticisms and many are valid. Still ours fit so nicely on the boat, perform so well and handle rough water great. My current dream boat is a big jet. We were in one when we were in Spain. (I have to put in this aside that we were in Barcelona near the end of June making the news of the past 24 hours even more poignant. Thinking of all victims there and elsewhere. :cry:). But the boat was a 116' AB with triple jets. The one we were on was lower hp than their standard today which runs 50 knots at WOT and cruises at 44 knots. 7800 hp. :speed boat:

Back on jet RIB's. Love em or hate em. Mark me up in the love em category but I know they aren't for most. :)

We have many high speed ferries out here running between CT and NY as well as Block island. Most all of them are nearly the same size and design around 100' long by 30+ feet wide with between 4,400 Hp and 5,000 hp.
They typically cruise at 30 knots and handle 250-300 persons per trip each hour every day on the summer.

BTW - I have never known anyone to lose a limb to a prop.

We have many high speed ferries out here running between CT and NY as well as Block island. Most all of them are nearly the same size and design around 100' long by 30+ feet wide with between 4,400 Hp and 5,000 hp.
They typically cruise at 30 knots and handle 250-300 persons per trip each hour every day on the summer.

BTW - I have never known anyone to lose a limb to a prop.

Back in the day... there were no ferries to Block Island. When did that service begin?? Just wondering. Ferry service to BI seems to remove the mystique and romance of needing to do it in private small craft. I gots fond memories of that island!

BTW - Never saw anyone die from prop gash but read accounts over the years. Have known people who have been heavily injured from o/b and out drive props. Close friend of mine had his truly beautiful daughter Rickie badly damaged in midsection by o/b prop when she was early teens. Really fckd up her internals... for the rest of her life. So, so sad.

No doubt in my mind that jet drive is safer by far compared to props.

"Back in the day... there were no ferries to Block Island. When did that service begin?? Just wondering. Ferry service to BI seems to remove the mystique and romance of needing to do it in private small craft. I gots fond memories of that island!"

Well more than 20 years back - both passenger and car ferries from Pt Judith, Montauk, New London and other locations with both slow and fast ferries. Maybe 50 ferry landings a day in the peak season....

"BTW - Never saw anyone die from prop gash but read accounts over the years. Have known people who have been heavily injured from o/b and out drive props."
Over the years so have I.

N"o doubt in my mind that jet drive is safer by far compared to props"
Well maybe - but I have seen some pretty bad boat strikes from people losing control of jet skis and jet boats hitting another boat. First off too close a pass and then they hit a wave and lose directional control just long enough to make the difference. That and the fact that I know a persons who really slashed himself attempting to clear a jet drive from debris.

Likely the jet drive is inherently safer for those that will not follow safety rules completely.

"Back in the day... there were no ferries to Block Island. When did that service begin?? Just wondering. Ferry service to BI seems to remove the mystique and romance of needing to do it in private small craft. I gots fond memories of that island!"

Well more than 20 years back - both passenger and car ferries from Pt Judith, Montauk, New London and other locations with both slow and fast ferries. Maybe 50 ferry landings a day in the peak season....

"BTW - Never saw anyone die from prop gash but read accounts over the years. Have known people who have been heavily injured from o/b and out drive props."
Over the years so have I.

N"o doubt in my mind that jet drive is safer by far compared to props"
Well maybe - but I have seen some pretty bad boat strikes from people losing control of jet skis and jet boats hitting another boat. First off too close a pass and then they hit a wave and lose directional control just long enough to make the difference. That and the fact that I know a persons who really slashed himself attempting to clear a jet drive from debris.

Likely the jet drive is inherently safer for those that will not follow safety rules completely.

Yes! SAFETY - Rules!!!

I don’t think we will see this engine on a dingy. It is only 50 hp and probably weighs in at twice the weight of a gas 50 hp. Great that it makes so much low end torque but that’s not really what a light weight dingy needs. As far as fuel economy is concerned my dingy travels 15 kts at 1.7 gph or 25 kts at 3 gph.

For pleasure boat use a diesel engine is stupid on any boat resembling a dinghy.
That explains it all.

I borrowed a friends Jetski. My son in law didn't want to get off it. I had to ask him to not go out of sight, so if He broke down, (or visa versa) we could keep in touch with each other. My wife has indicated that a jetski is possibly desired.... time will tell. So this has piqued my interest.

I borrowed a friends Jetski. My son in law didn't want to get off it. I had to ask him to not go out of sight, so if He broke down, (or visa versa) we could keep in touch with each other. My wife has indicated that a jetski is possibly desired.... time will tell. So this has piqued my interest.

Funny. I saw a guy the other day pulling a jet ski and it made me think...

Maybe an older small jet boat?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom