Rookie Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gjmarchand

Vessel Name
Lefty G
I apologize for asking beginner questions, yet we all must begin somewhere! My dream is to own a 51' Nordhavn to navigate from Maine to Alaska and back...then figure out what I want from there. I have experience with boats to 28', but nothing larger than that, and no trip experience. I have a mechanical/electrical technical background, and much experience on the hard living off the grid. I have few qualms about learning to live at sea, trip planning, maintenance, repairs, etc. I have many questions about learning navigation, seamanship, and all those things I don't know I don't know!

My first question: How does a person learn to drive a boat this size and where to learn navigation skills?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Greg

You won’t have a problem as long as you desire to learn.
I went from a 14’ pontoon boat to one 60’ LOA with no problems.

Insurance may well require you to get so many hours of training and a competency sign off first. You need to check with them first to get an understanding of what they will require. That’s a good thing as you will learn. I was required to have 100 hours, of which that was about half engine hours. Underway, the size of the boat matters less above a certain level.

I would recommend taking some powerboat USA courses for boat handling, navigation etc. The insurance companies will like that as well.

Hire a training captain to spend some time with you to learn close quarter handling, docking, anchoring and navigation. Perhaps on a few runs around where you are. Read the manual to understand your boat systems, like using gensets, water makers, etc. you can also watch YouTube’s in various topics. Your background will suit you well. Ask questions, make checklists.

The Nordhavn community seems very informed and welcoming. Perhaps volunteer to crew with one beforehand or ask someone to go with you after your training.

It’s a fun process and with an eager and open mind all is very easy to pick up.

I do recommend you know your personality - do you stay cool under pressure? I was a seaplane pilot so to me the boat moved slowly and I was used to assessing the environment first for wind, currents, etc and was versed in navigation. I also did an enormous amount of reading and wanted to learn all the systems. With your engineering background you are I’m sure very similar and my guess will pick it up easily.

Make it easy on yourself and have bow/stern thrusters and up to date Furuno or Garmin, etc chart plotters.

Last edited:
Thank you

Thank you very much. Learning is what I do - part of what I view this adventure as. I'll pursue as much education as I can. I hadn't thought about the insurance thing!

Thanks again,

Greg

Thank you very much. Learning is what I do - part of what I view this adventure as. I'll pursue as much education as I can. I hadn't thought about the insurance thing!

Thanks again,

Greg

All the actual boat training occurs when you have the boat, with the training captain who the insurance company will approve beforehand . Then you submit your training info to them and they will remove the named captain restriction allowing you to pilot your boat.

Take a few of the online courses first.

Watch some YouTube’s on docking and navigation.

Enjoy!

Take some classes from the CG Auxiliary. If you join they have some excellent classes available to members. You can get on the water training for the boat crew. Then try to find someone that needs help with a delivery or two. You will have to jump through some hoops to get insurance. Maybe talk to an insurance broker and see what they recommend as to training. Good luck.

I've been a previous member of the USCG Aux. Good advice on rejoining and taking some classes! I'll get on the insurance thing asap and build rapport.

Thank you!

Greg

The good news is it sounds like youve already conquered the hardest part: affording a boat. If youre seriously looking at a Nordhavn, ask your contact there for recommendations on how to start. A significant part of their target market starts from scratch without even your experience.

TrawlerFest used to have a "University" course in close quarters (I was the first instructor back in 2002). May want to see if it's still active.

Many of the trawler charter companies will put together a program for you. Charter for a week or so, spend the first couple days with a captain and away you go.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Peter

I've been a previous member of the USCG Aux. Good advice on rejoining and taking some classes! I'll get on the insurance thing asap and build rapport.

Thank you!

Greg
Depending on your location Americas Boating Club (aka US Power Squadron) has a comprehensive list of courses. A convenient location will help so worth looking at both. Some ABC locations & courses include an on the water component as well as class work.
Start by planning and executing some shorter cruises. Critique what worked / needs work. Longer cruises can be thought of as a compilation of shorter ones with a few added considerations.

Driving the boat is about the easiest part of cruising long distances involving ocean passages and foreign countries.

Learning it all without actually going with someone takes time and effort to accumulate a list of what you don't know, then start learning enough along the way to not make the big mistakes.

Even becoming familiar with all the terms and vocabulary to procedures and checklists will just make you a better student when in training, lectures, readings, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom