ROOF, roof roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ducatihottie

No this isn't about my Bichon Frize "Popcorn" barking problems. But I want a roof on my new boat. Yes I know you can do anything if you have the money. And I do plan on living on it for a few months before any major purchases or upgrades. Maybe before winter?

I could not afford any of the Trawlers with a "sundeck", patio or enclosed outdoor area like the first photo below. Or In as nice of condition as mine. They tend to start around $99,000. My CHB 42' Ponderosa Tri-Cabin outdoor living area are the the following photos.

My current Bamini just covers the steering area and controls. It ha NO windows.

ALL of the outdoor living area is up on the top deck. I hope to put some outdoor furniture up there but due to Seattle rain, I prefer it all enclosed. So the whole top area enclosed, (wheel area and porch area). OK? What's the "top" steering wheel area called, (wheelhouse)?

1. Can I get a hard top put on my outdoor living area, (with Bamini sides). "ABOUT" how much installed. Do you have photos of your added roof? Where in the PNW?

2. Can I get an enclosed roof Bamini with screens put on my whole outdoor living area, "about how much installed? . Can Bamini's have roll up screens like a tent? Any photos? Where in the PNW?

Which one would you do:? We want a 3 season sun room.

I won't be out in turbulent seas, although the Puget Sound can get rough. Will this added weight affect the boat in any way?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200628-134336_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200628-134336_Chrome.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20200613-220424_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220424_Gmail.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200615_181033.jpg
    20200615_181033.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20200613-220356_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220356_Gmail.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20200613-220343_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220343_Gmail.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20200613-220148_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220148_Gmail.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
No this isn't about my Bichon Frize "Popcorn" barking problems. But I want a roof on my new boat. Yes I know you can do anything if you have the money. And I do plan on living on it for a few months before any major purchases or upgrades. Maybe before winter?

I could not afford any of the Trawlers with a "sundeck", patio or enclosed outdoor area like the first photo below. Or In as nice of condition as mine. They tend to start around $99,000. My CHB 42' Ponderosa Tri-Cabin outdoor living area are the the following photos.

My current Bamini just covers the steering area and controls. It ha NO windows.

ALL of the outdoor living area is up on the top deck. I hope to put some outdoor furniture up there but due to Seattle rain, I prefer it all enclosed. So the whole top area enclosed, (wheel area and porch area). OK? What's the "top" steering wheel area called, (wheelhouse)?

1. Can I get a hard top put on my outdoor living area, (with Bamini sides). "ABOUT" how much installed. Do you have photos of your added roof? Where in the PNW?

2. Can I get an enclosed roof Bamini with screens put on my whole outdoor living area, "about how much installed? . Can Bamini's have roll up screens like a tent? Any photos? Where in the PNW?

Which one would you do:? We want a 3 season sun room.

I won't be out in turbulent seas, although the Puget Sound can get rough. Will this added weight affect the boat in any way?

Weight will not be an issue but windage may be at times. Think of the vertical curtains as sails. Looking at the pictures it looks like the bow for a connector to the arch may be there. That connector may be on the boat. You just need to decide how to configure the top aft of the arch. It make sense to replace what you already have rather than adding zippers and ties to the original canvas. The canvas guy will advise what way to go. Many don't want to tie into existing canvas.

Don't laugh, I searched "The canvas guy" as if it was a store or shop? Does anyone know where to go in the Seattle area?

Would you go hardtop or canvas? How often do you have to replace canvas? In the long run wouldn't a hardtop be cheaper?

Last edited:
Brian,
Windage, as GH mentioned is a big potential issue, especially when trying to dock with a cross wind. It can make docking a real challenge, especially for a newbie! The "enclosure" will add considerably to the surface area that the wind has to Push your boat about, sometimes unexpectedly. Just be aware.

Ask the boat broker for references of good power boat canvas guys in the area. Canvas will last about 10 years or so, in the PNW area, and if you look after it maybe 15 years. Regular cleaning and spraying with "protectant" will help.

Are you a DIYer? If so look at hardtotop.com. They make hardtops that use the bimini frame to hold it up. Then you can easily add side curtains to enclose it. The hardtop on the flybridge of my boat is from them.

Attachments

• 5CF25910-F453-4E5E-A808-27D81503F029.jpg
    5CF25910-F453-4E5E-A808-27D81503F029.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 24
Don't laugh, I searched "The canvas guy" as if it was a store or shop? Does anyone know where to go in the Seattle area?

Would you go hardtop or canvas? How often do you have to replace canvas? In the long run wouldn't a hardtop be cheaper?

I am on the right coast with no clew as to who moves and shakes out there. Sure a hardtop will be more durable than a soft one. Is it worth it? Depends on how long you live. In your situation you have to be careful what you put into a boat that in all likelihood will be worth a fourth or less of what you put into it in 10 years. You could put 20-30 grand into a hardtop and canvas.

I lot of people have canvas enclosed flybridges. They are not for me but if that is what you want it really isn't that big of a deal for a qualified canvas shop.

I think you are right to wait a while before you make such a large and expensive commitment.

Even in a warm rain, I would rather be in the main cabin. I think it would get pretty steamy in a fully enclosed flybridges during a rain. Plus, who is going out in the rain to make a run for beverages or popcorn?

pete

Went to their website. I bet I can get someone to install it for me? How much did it costs? Looks great.

I prefer a hardtop.

For the side see through plastic. Do they make any with screens like tent windows, (just for a breeze and keep the mosquitoes out)? I assume they get very hot.

I have put the hardtotop hardtop on 2 boats now. One on my Trojan F32 and one on our current boat the 41’ President. The Trojan had a smaller hardtop and if I remember correctly it was about $700. The President has a much bigger hardtop and it was about $2200 again if I remember correctly. But it also is the upgraded version too. I fabricate my own canvas and enclosure so my costs on them isn’t accurate. I installed both hardtops in a day each with 1 or 2 helpers, it really is pretty easy. If you can work a drill and screwdriver you can probably do the install yourself.

$2200 sounds like pennies for anything boat. Are you in the PNW, (I'd love to look at it). Has anyone in the PNW done what Comodave did, (add a hardtop)? I just feel a hardtop looks more refined, and Comodaves looks great.

I won't be able to fabricate my own canvas.

When you say, "it was pretty easy" you don't know me:). I can work a $50,000 dollar Ventilator. But my wife laughs at me everytime I pick up a screwdriver.

I am in Michigan. PM me and I will email you some more photos of the hardtop. It is really simple to put one on. Measure several times before you order per their instructions. Read over their installation directions and if you don’t think you are able to install it hire someone handy for a day and work alongside them to put it on. There is some drilling for screws and bolts and some caulking as you assemble it. Other than that it is just putting one panel on at a time. I believe the top on our current boat has 7 panels in it. You put the center one on and then add one on each side alternating from side to side. I think it is easy but then again I do almost any work on my boat so I may be a bit optimistic. But this is one of the easier jobs I have ever done.

I will try to remember to take some tomorrow and email them to you. PM means Private Message. You click on the user name and it will bring up a small screen and one of the options will be send a PM.

Look at this screenshot of a boat I just saw YouTube. It looks aftermarket doesn't it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200629-010731_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200629-010731_YouTube.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 23
PM = Private Message. Click on link by the red arrow in the picture below. Once you get to the next screen, look on the left side for "Send New Message"

Attachments

• PM.jpg
    PM.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
One consideration is bridge clearance. Canvas tops can often be folded down, if needed, to go under a bridge. Hardtops cannot.

So, for example, if the Great Loop is in your future, you need to make sure that your minimum bridge clearance is less than the minimum height of any fixed bridge on your route.

Back
Top Bottom