Retro fitting cushioned bench on Fly Bridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
We have a “ new to us” Grand Banks 42 Classic. Prior owners had a few wicker chairs up on the fly bridge, which we had no interest in keeping. We are getting quotes to add an additional Sunbrella Bimini top aft of the one over the upper nav station. There is quite a bit of square footage on that deck we feel would come in handy for entertaining, especially if in the shade of the additional top.

My question is are there after market add ons for some seating and maybe a table or will I have to have them fabricated?

Attached are a couple of pics that should help illustrate what I’m talking about doing.

Attachments

• 87FFC321-0768-4E9B-87BA-98E290C77A74.jpeg
    87FFC321-0768-4E9B-87BA-98E290C77A74.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 9DA4A6C9-E68C-4971-8281-447FF8403801.jpeg
    9DA4A6C9-E68C-4971-8281-447FF8403801.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 17
"My question is are there after market add ons for some seating and maybe a table or will I have to have them fabricated?"

The hassle is few fabricators will build seats made of anything but a sheet of ply wood.

The hassle is after a short time even with thick cushions , a plank of ply is still a plank of wood.

Those wicker chairs were probably more comfortable for an afternoon of sitting than any plank.

"My question is are there after market add ons for some seating and maybe a table or will I have to have them fabricated?"

The hassle is few fabricators will build seats made of anything but a sheet of ply wood.

The hassle is after a short time even with thick cushions , a plank of ply is still a plank of wood.

Those wicker chairs were probably more comfortable for an afternoon of sitting than any plank.

This ^^^^ ...... Through many trial and errors, I found the wicker type chairs the best, and most flexible alternative. I removed the factory wood seating from my flybridge and went wicker for a reason.

Interesting thread. I'm actually undertaking this on my boat as it has a very strange seating arrangement with six back-to-back seats on a big box on the FB which we really dislike.

The plan is to replace this with two captain chairs (on order) in the front and build or have built an "L" shaped bench seat on the starboard rear. I've spoken to the company below located in PA who do this sort of thing, but I think the shipping costs will make it prohibitive. I didn't get a cost yet from them but I'm now considering making it myself since I have some background in fiberglass and I like to itch (not really).

Here is the company in PA:
Custom Fiberglass Boat Benches A GREAT ADDITION TO ANY YACHT OR FISHING BOAT

There are a number of companies who make custom tables and some off the shelf ones are available as well.

I'll be starting a thread on it soon.

Last edited:
Ask the Google about pontoon benches or pontoon boat seats. It will open up a world of possibilities. My understanding is that they are available in modular form and can be assembled to suit your space.

May be a cheap and cheerful solution for you (or at least an easy solution).

Last edited:
I would think it would be hard to find a ready-made bench that would fit well and integrate with the existing ones. There are a lot of curves and slopes on the deck.

In my 1979 GB 42 CL I opted for folding chairs and tables. I had four chairs and a large table as well. These were lashed to the railing with bungee cords when underway. Cheap, confortable and flexible.

I also had an extension to the Bimini top that zippered on to the supported one in the front and attached to the mast and stays in the back. Not as good as one with metal supports but cheaper.

Not shown is a vertical side curtain, made of partly see-through white mesh, which would attach to the full-length of the extended Bimini with the plastic hooks shown below. This kept the sun from shining in the sides. The curtain could be used on either side so only one was needed.

Attachments

• 2013-10-26 17.57.36.jpg
    2013-10-26 17.57.36.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 5
  • 2012-08-19 20.04.53.jpg
    2012-08-19 20.04.53.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Sail-Cover-Hook-Eyelet-White_1.jpeg
    Sail-Cover-Hook-Eyelet-White_1.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom