Quarantine, Trawler Style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sababa

Vessel Name
Sababa
Vessel Make
Maritimo 52
So I was lamenting that I would be spending what looked to be the nicest week of the year so far in the office instead of on the water when COVID finally caught up with me. Now my wife was testing negative, so clearly the only reasonable thing to do was to order a mess of groceries on Instacart and head out on the boat with the dog to a marine state park to wait it out. Which I did. Greetings from Mystery Bay! IMG_0986.jpg

That is not a bad way to be in quarantaine.

Hope the Covid won't hit too hard. I did not get really that sick, but had hallucinations and balance disorder, which lasted for about 5 to 6 months.
Good luck and...............enjoy the park !

Looks good!

I was only really sick for one day(like horrible flu) when tested positive. Not sure I would've liked being on the boat that day.

My one fight with COVID was outside of boating season, so the admiral just locked me upstairs in the house (turned out to be good enough, she never got it). If it had been during boating season, the plan would have been for one of us to go to the boat (probably me) and have the healthy person drop off some food, etc. to the boat or house as needed. I don't think I would have taken the boat anywhere just in case though.

I pretty much did that all of last summer.

pete

I did a telehealth appointment and got a Paxlovid prescription before I cast off. I was feeling pretty crappy but not experiencing any respiratory distress so I figured the risk of needing to go to the hospital and not being able to get myself there was pretty low. I could have just stayed in the marina to be out of my wife’s way but our slip is under cover and it would have been dark and depressing. On the mend now and looking forward to spending the rest of my isolation on the water in the beautiful weather we are having.

My dad got me the yellow jack flag as a gag gift after CBSA wanted us to fly one while we were transiting to Alaska in 2021. I never thought I’d actually use it.

What an awesome way to spend your sick days. I've had Covid 4 times and each time, it's gotten easier. Last time was like I had a common cold. Hope you recover quickly and enjoy your time on the water.

Actually the "Q" flag is flown when entering port to show that all aboard are in good health. If someone aboard is not well, no "Q" flag. Edit: My error. If someone aboard is not healthy the "Q" flag is still flown, but a second white flag is flown with it.

Last edited:
Actually the "Q" flag is flown when entering port to show that all aboard are in good health. If someone aboard is not well, no "Q" flag. Edit: My error. If someone aboard is not healthy the "Q" flag is still flown, but a second white flag is flown with it.

My understanding is that the ICS meaning is that everyone on board is healthy AND the vessel requests a pratique, or clearance, from the port, at which point the flag comes down. Until it does, however, it indicates that the vessel is under quarantine. This is apparently the traditional meaning of the flag, and the Canadians apparently still understand it that way. https://www.fotw.info/flags/xf~q.html

As I noted earlier in the thread, when I was transiting Canada in the summer of 2021, CBSA asked us to fly the yellow jack if we had one to indicate that we under quarantine—and I guess also healthy but awaiting a pratique that they weren’t going to give us. We didn’t have one but my dad got me one as a gag gift. I flew it in that spirit while I was isolating, but I guess you are right that I technically should have been flying a second flag to indicate an infected person was on board. :)

My understanding is that the ICS meaning is that everyone on board is healthy AND the vessel requests a pratique, or clearance, from the port, at which point the flag comes down. Until it does, however, it indicates that the vessel is under quarantine. This is apparently the traditional meaning of the flag, and the Canadians apparently still understand it that way. https://www.fotw.info/flags/xf~q.html

As I noted earlier in the thread, when I was transiting Canada in the summer of 2021, CBSA asked us to fly the yellow jack if we had one to indicate that we under quarantine—and I guess also healthy but awaiting a pratique that they weren’t going to give us. We didn’t have one but my dad got me one as a gag gift. I flew it in that spirit while I was isolating, but I guess you are right that I technically should have been flying a second flag to indicate an infected person was on board. :)

You did give the more complete answer. I figured you weren't being quite literal in flying the "Q". I was trying to clarify as I think many people think what you jokingly implied and that is the "Q" flag means an unhealthy person when it does mean the opposite. I then thought I had better check my failing memory and discovered the second flag requirement. As far as USA is concerned (and possibly other countries) the flag isn't used unless entering from a foreign nations port.

Back
Top Bottom