Pilot Charts - they're interesting and free!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
On another thread about going between Seattle and San Diego, topic of Pilot Charts surfaced. Thought I'd start an informational thread.

A common question on sailing sites is "What's the best time of year to go from Point A to Point B?" Well, here's how you know - it's the foundational information for many sites, including Noonsite and the closely associated Cornell's World Cruising Routes (Jimmy Cornell was the architect of Noonsite.com).

What are Pilot Charts? They are not really a navigational chart at all but rather a historical collection of weather in a region (South Pacific, North Pacific, etc. - all the worlds' oceans). Each region has a separate chart for each month of the year. The charts have clever annotations showing what the aggregate weather observations have been for each 5-degree square (300nm x 300nm).

Pilot Charts are free and located free for download located HERE.

One of the best reasons to use traditional charts is they are good reading. Pilot Charts are no different - a wealth of information. They compile many years of observations though have not been updated in over 25-years.

Two pictures attached.

1. Windrose. TF Member KSanders is working his way from Alaska to La Paz in his Bayliner 4788. Guessing that sometime next month he'll pass San Francisco so I grabbed a screenshot of the area for July.

Pilot Chart SF July.jpg

HOW TO READ WINDROSE:
- Number of 'fletches' (half-feathers) corresponds to Beaufort Scale. Length of arrow indicates frequency. 56% of the time, conditions are Force 5 (17-21 kts, 4-8 foot seas) from the north, and almost all the rest of the time it's Force 4 (11-16 kts wind, 1-4 foot seas) from the NW. Small scattering of other observations. The number in the center is percentage of calms 1% in this example.

- Solid RED line. This indicates frequency of seas in excess of 12-feet. Less than 10% for this area.

- GREEEN arrows. Ocean currents. Around 0.4 kts in this example.

- DASHED LINE - barely visible, but this is the percentage of times where visibility is under 2nms (fog). Under 1% in this example.

2. Second picture is GALES, an inset chartlet (A Gale is defined as Force 8 - 34-40 kts with 18-25 foot seas, some breaking).

Pilot Chart Gales Jul SF.jpg

The "Gales" chartlet gives two important pieces of information: frequency of a Force 8 Gale (zero in this example for July, though a peak at the January Pilot Chart shows an increases to 8%); and periods of reduced visibility (fog) - the blue lines, which is 1% for this area in July (10% in January).

I love traditional charts. Great reading.

Peter

National Data Buoy Center

I agree, reading paper charts is worthwhile. Pilot charts or navigational charts. There’s a wealth of information to be found.

In addition to the pilot charts the National Data Buoy Center has an abundance of weather information. It takes more effort to dig out what you need compared to pilot charts but the data are more current.

For long range planning there are graphical tables of historical data I find useful. Time spend digging around on the NDBC web site is time well spent during voyage planning.

In your estimate of Ksanders’s passing San Fran in July I took a look at buoy 46026’s historical data and got the tables shown. As he gets closer in both time and distance he can pull up recent and current (almost real time) data. The tables shown are for average wind speed and significant wave height. There's a lot more to study for the interested mariner.

NDBC changes their web site and locations of stored data from time to time. Here’s what worked this AM:

• Go to https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/
  • Find the map, find the area, find buoy 46026, click it’s icon
  • Click the “View History” link
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page to find “Climatic Summary Table (TXT) and plots of”
  • Select the plots you want to view.

Attachments

• Wind speed std deviation.JPG
    Wind speed std deviation.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Wind speed quartile.JPG
    Wind speed quartile.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Wave height std deviation.JPG
    Wave height std deviation.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Wave height quartile.JPG
    Wave height quartile.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 16
I agree, reading paper charts is worthwhile. Pilot charts or navigational charts. There’s a wealth of information to be found.

In addition to the pilot charts the National Data Buoy Center has an abundance of weather information. It takes more effort to dig out what you need compared to pilot charts but the data are more current......

Wow! I didn't know this capability existed. This is excellent information - many thanks!

Peter

I have a rather large book titled, "Ocean Passages For The World" published by the Admiralty in 1950. It cost 1 pound and 5 shillings back then. The book I have was presented to the Royal United Service Institution in 1950, which according to Wikipedia,
The Royal United Services Institute (RUSI, Rusi),[2] registered as Royal United Service Institute for Defence and Security Studies and formerly the Royal United Services Institute for Defence Studies, is a British defence and security think tank. It was founded in 1831 by the Duke of Wellington, Sir Arthur Wellesley.[3]
Somehow, this book ended up at a used book seller in California. I wish it could talk....

Besides the text on conditions in certain places along with how and when to get to that place, there are charts that lay it all out. My copy still has the charts.

This book and the US pilot charts are amazing resources.

Back
Top Bottom