Panel mounted 50 AMP fuse holders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjletteri

HI all you captains of Trawlers...Does anyone have a line on the replacement for a Shore power Panel mounted 50 Amp fuse holder on a 1993 Grand Banks 42' . They are right below the Shore power on the bow and stern. Any help would be awesome

Welcome aboard. How about a photo of the fuse holder and fuse?

+1 on pix.

As a general rule of thumb any time I'm taking a look at something on the boat I take a LOT of pictures with my phone. Even better, taking pix with a tape measure for scale on things that might involve replacing with something else. Labels on devices especially, for serial# and part/model number. Helps when I'm off the boat later trying to figure things out.

For complicated messes like wiring it's also useful to take a slow panning video. Helps you later when you realize there's a thing next to the thing that you didn't document in a picture of it's own.

Side note: the Android phone camera app will let you say "CHEESE" or "SMILE" to trigger the shutter. This is hugely helpful when you need to jam the phone into an odd angle where you can't easily tap the on-screen button.

If this is a fuse in the shore power circuit, you should have it replaced with a double pole circuit breaker by a qualified marine electrician.

ABYC requires that both conductors be disconnected in case of an overload or short circuit. A fuse cannot do that. A double pole circuit breaker can.

HI all you captains of Trawlers...Does anyone have a line on the replacement for a Shore power Panel mounted 50 Amp fuse holder on a 1993 Grand Banks 42' . They are right below the Shore power on the bow and stern. Any help would be awesome
FIC corporation makes the OEM fuse holders for Grand Banks shore power panel. Call Ken davis at 301 881 8124. They are about $225/ea new. You probably want the 5900-11 for 50 amp service.

If this is a fuse in the shore power circuit, you should have it replaced with a double pole circuit breaker by a qualified marine electrician.

ABYC requires that both conductors be disconnected in case of an overload or short circuit. A fuse cannot do that. A double pole circuit breaker can.

That's a good idea but:

Finding one that fits a 1 3/4" round hole will be impossible.
You won't need it if your dock power supply already has a DP breaker.

FIC is currently out of stock. There are a few supply houses that might have New Old Stock. On eBay rarely. Google FIC 5900-11.

If it is indeed the shore power feed then it does need to be a double pole breaker to disconnect both the hot and neutral feeds. Doesn’t really matter if it is convenient or not or if it easily fits or not.

It's not the "shore power feed". It's the 50 amp fuse that's on the boat. Most shore power stations have double pole circuit breakers these days. If they don't they certainly should be upgraded. What we're talking about here is the fuse holder that holds the 50 amp fuse that's on the boat, downstream of the shore power circuit breaker.

So, if your shore power "feed" has a DP breaker, there's no need to replace the fuse holder on the boat with another DP breaker. Unless, of course, you're worried about traveling in the third world where they may not enforce electrical codes and standards.

Ok, it isn’t the shore power feed, but what exactly does it supply power to?

Ok, it isn’t the shore power feed, but what exactly does it supply power to?

To the Master (DP) AC breaker. Yet another reason not to tear up your GB by installing a square breaker in a round fuse hole. Didn't even think of that earlier.
So......., there should be a DP breaker on the dock, a fuse on the boat, and then a DP breaker on the boat, in that order. That's the way mine is. I agree that if your dock doesn't have a DP breaker it should be upgraded, for switching capability if nothing else. But no reason to replace the fuse/fuse holder with a DP breaker. Just replace the fuse holder in this case. By the way, often times you can simply replace the fuse holder cap and lens which are sold separately (if you can find them).

Additionally, looking at ABYC E11.10 and cannot find where a DP breaker is required except in the case where a transformer is used as per E11.10.2.5 and E11.10.2.5.1. And even then this exception applies:

EXCEPTION: Feeder conductors for 120/240volt primary circuits require protection only in the ungrounded conductors.

Is there another paragraph that requires a DP breaker for this case that I'm missing?

Last edited:
PS: Ken Davis at FIC will make up new fuse holders for you on short order for $241.00. 301-881-8124, 877-592-4725, or 270-685-6543. I just bought one. FIC still makes the 5900-11, though some other dealers will tell you they don't but will try to sell you a 5900 for $400+. Go with Ken, as previously recommended.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom