Pacific Northwest cruising questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m excited! I’ve owned and flown a DeHavilland Beaver for many years (now sold) from Seattle up and down to Desolation and north but I’m finally getting an older 60’ twin prop diesel to enjoy desolation, keeping it in at ladysmith. Now I need to learn nautical navigation instead of airspace and dock a 60’ with bow thruster versus my 48’ wingspan plane with a 450hp radial engine. Though I’ll have to have 100 hours of training, which I would do anyway.

Any great places to explore next summer or even later this season?

I usually run up the Gulf Islands side. Sidney is a great place to provision with a Safeway and Food King, and customs is quicker than Bedwell/Poets Cove. Then run up to Nanaimo and cross to Pender Harbor. There is also a Thriftway (I believe) and a liquor store in Pender. Note these are the last large grocery stores prior to Campbell River (OK not exactly true...but mostly true). From Pender run up to Chatterbox and you are there.

The problem with running up the east side of the Straits of Georgia is there is often huge tidal flow from the Frazer River (which, granted, is avoidable) and the winds in Howe Sound can be very uncomfortable. I usually try to hit Howe/City of Vancouver on the way south but more times than not the forecasted 25-35 knot winds change my mind.

But I agree with what someone said above - just get to Desolation and The Broughtons and just ... exist. It's hard to describe. It's simply paradise.

If you are concerned about commercial vessel traffic, you can monitor the VTS frequencies, 5A for Seattle Traffic, or 11 for Victoria traffic. I have done this since 2005, first in my 24 foot SeaSport, and now in my Nordic Tug. Additionally, I had the opportunity to visit the VTS Coast Guard facility some years back. The operators said they do not mind if a recreational boater asks about vessel traffic when crossing the lanes, particularly during periods of low visibility. Here is a link to the VTS center’s info pamphlet.
https://www.pacificarea.uscg.mil/Po...LessThan20_2018.pdf?ver=2018-09-07-215430-077

Vancouver isn't really on the way to PLI from seattle or anacortes or Bellingham. Best route is through the gulf then out and across through Gabriola pass or thru naniamo. And Once you are that far west Vancouver is totally out of the way to get to PLI through welcome passage past secret cove pender harbor Egmont and on up. Much easier to have your passengers pop in to Nanaimo or pender on a seaplane (they will love it except for the price) Or if the timing works they can take a ferry from twaassen to Sydney and meet you there. You can clear customs there too.

Commercial traffic isnt really an issue either way but throu Vancouver you are exposed for two long legs. if the weather sucks it’s not going to be fun in the straights of Georgia wherever you are, even on that boat. . Gulf islands is the Most protected shortest route.

If you must stop in Vancouver suck it up early and go straight there. (Eastern route, past pt roberts) but then the next day you are headed straight up the straight to the same place, welcome passage. Farther tho.

Anacortes-Gabriola-Vancouver -PLI is circuitous if you are on a schedule. Love to hear about the trip. Good luck!

Sorry, read the rest. Good advice throughout, sounds like you are not going up to PLI this time. We made it there and back in a 38 sabre during a one week charter (sat -fri) out of Bellingham in ‘19 First night in secret cove, second and third in PLI. Then down to pender harbor, roche, sucia…weather cooperated, obvi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom