Over 65 travel Health Insurance outside the USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32
I have Medicare A & B with Blue Cross Sapphire Medicap coverage. My question is what insurance do you add when going into Canada and the Bahamas. I am starting the loop in June and want to make sure I am covered. Blue Cross in MA offers a GEO traveler plan which covers you for 70 days duration per trip every 12 months. Give me your thoughts my dear wise travelers.

I have Medicare A & B with Blue Cross Sapphire Medicap coverage. My question is what insurance do you add when going into Canada and the Bahamas. I am starting the loop in June and want to make sure I am covered. Blue Cross in MA offers a GEO traveler plan which covers you for 70 days duration per trip every 12 months. Give me your thoughts my dear wise travelers.

Did you choose a Medigap policy with no travel coverage? The most popular plans do have foreign emergency coverage.

Azimuth, Geoblue, and IMG all have individual plans, typically $75-100 per month.

Just to see some of what is offered, you might look here.

https://www.syig.co/insurance/superyacht-crew-medical/

And doesn't have to be superyacht or paid crew for most of the mariner policies offered.

I heard back from Blue Cross today. The Sapphire blue has limited travel coverage the Geo multi trip has good coverage for $150.00 a year. The big thing is they have 1,000,000.00 medical limit and 500K evacuation benefit. My Ex business partner came very close to needing to be evacuated when we were on a business trip in the Dominican.

We have BCBS Tennessee Sapphire. In cruising the Abacos and Exumas, have found local providers that participate, so no worries about emergency care while in the Bahamas. The GEO plan sounds like a reasonable add for medivac back to US

Last edited:
Cruised outside the US for just under decade. Your base insurance should give you coverage and chosen to reflect that but also make sure you can get the best medivac insurance you can afford. Medical care quality is spotty in the US as well as in many foreign countries. You do not want to be transported from bad care to worst. You want to be able to choose where you go. Also realize many medivac plans are dependent upon commercial carriers. When the airlines aren’t flying (which was the case at times during this pandemic) if you have such a medivac plan you’re sh-t out of luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom