Outer Banks inlets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KalaKai

Veteran Member
We're on the Chesapeake now headed south and are thinking about going offshore at at the Outer Banks to get some 'deep sea' fishing time in. The inlets there are all dicey, but doable under the right conditions. We're looking at Rudee, Oregon, Hatteras, and Beaufort.

Oregon seems to be the biggest risk, though all seem to require settled weather. I've used Boat US or SeaTow to get local info on such things before, but wonder if anyone knows any other sources.

Any other info on these inlets would be appreciated!

There are USCG stations at each inlet. I would call each station for condition update prior to making any attempt to transit them. I suspect they also broadcast hourly updates on 22A.

Bob423 publishes USACE updates regarding shoaling and buoy locations for the ICW. Downloadable tracks for aquamaps.

Not much at Rudee...it is just a harbor and inlet...no access to inland waters.

Oregon has been open and shutdown due to shoaling on a pretty regular basis lately...best bet would be follow a local charter boat in and out...unless there is an assistance tower at the inlet.

https://saw-nav.usace.army.mil/MANTEO-OREGON/OREGON_INLET_EAST/Oregon_Inlet_Bar.pdf

I’ve always been hesitant to use Oregon inlet in a boat with underwater hardware hanging exposed. Especially an underpowered boat like a trawler. We fished it out of a small 23’ outboard powered boat on a clam day and I wasn’t concerned in the least. I suppose because I’m a scary cat and not familiar with the always changing channel so wouldn’t use it unless I followed somebody in or out and left a track on my plotter.
Rudy is short and sweet and has always been well marked,though there always seems to be a dredging operation going on. I haven’t used it lately,though.
Never used Hatteras but it doesn’t seem too bad.

Beaufort is in a different category. Deep, wide, maintained for small ship access to the port. Other than being rough in certain conditions such as outgoing tide against a southwest wind, it's a piece of cake.

Of course the fishing is not as good out of Beaufort. Yellowfin tuna are rarely found that far south anymore in NC. Oregon Inlet is your best bet there.

Back
Top Bottom