Otterfest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alguires

It seems that a group of otters had a party on our upper deck in the past little while. The boat is fully enclosed for the winter with, what I thought was, a critter proof cover. Just to add deterrence we hung mothballs in mesh around the lower deck railing. This has worked for the past five years. Any thoughts on better options to keep otters off our unattended boat over the winter?

It seems that a group of otters had a party on our upper deck in the past little while. The boat is fully enclosed for the winter with, what I thought was, a critter proof cover. Just to add deterrence we hung mothballs in mesh around the lower deck railing. This has worked for the past five years. Any thoughts on better options to keep otters off our unattended boat over the winter?

It has been mentioned that they hate rock salt on decks and docks.
I have such disdain for the beasts the Admiral decided to name the current boat in their honor..

HOLLYWOOD

Pinesol. Put it in little containers, they hate the smell.
Good luck,
Russ

I can start by saying that the Otters always win.
Search for my earlier thread on problems with otters.
At my YC, the Harbour Master has installed several audible, strobe, motion sensing deterrents. They work well within a few feet of their location. My slip neighbour has motorized, noisy dinosaurs. He claims they work and neither he nor I presently have otters. I tried non motorized, quiet dinosaurs, to no effect, at my mooring bouy on Saltspring. Didn't work at all. I also tried chicken wire on the swim grid, moth balls in the dinghy, bowls of ammonia. None of those worked. The last straw was when I found that they had been copulating on the top of my tonneau cover. I left the mooring bouy and have not returned.

Pleas let me know if you find a solution.

I have seen this remedy used successfully: pound a lot of large nails (8 penny?) through a suitably sized piece of plywood and lash it, pointy side out, over the place where otters were entering your boat.

I have heard that the best solution is to:

1. Drive to Safeway and buy two pounds of frozen shrimp.
2. Walk down to the far end of your dock.
3. Find the that old, ignored boat that hasn't moved in the last ten years and no one knows who the actual owner is.
4. Open the bag of shrimp and sprinkle them in the boat cockpit.
5. Return to your boat, grab your bags and then walk up to the parking lot.
6. Take the airport shuttle to your local airport
7. Fly to Cancun.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom