Original boat name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, here are a couple. My first sailboat was "Wineaux" with tilted bubbly martini glasses. We renamed her to Java Jive. My next boat was Afterburn II. I asked the OP if he was a jet pilot. "No, my first boat was lost in a fire. My second boat was Afterburn." We renamed her to JoJava. The only problem with Java Jive was on the radio everyone said Java FIVE. I was on "Ship Faced" the other day and its tender was, you guessed it, Little Ship. I don't think I ever want to see another Seas the Day, or Chasing Tail or Why Knot or Pura Vida. My current Aquarius was already named when we purchased her. Not my choice but not terrible.

I've seen a contractor's boat...
The dingy was named "contract"

but the much larger cruiser was named "change order".

How true!

Mine is "Cool Beans". Never fails to elicit a smile or comment from passers-by or yelling from passing boats "Cool F^%&$#@ Beans!" :lol:

Next boat will have a random name like "Ghost Cake" or "Mr. Biscuits"

Mine is "Cool Beans". Never fails to elicit a smile or comment from passers-by or yelling from passing boats "Cool F^%&$#@ Beans!" [emoji38]

Next boat will have a random name like "Ghost Cake" or "Mr. Biscuits"
How about Muffin Man, from the Frank Zappa song

Mine is "Cool Beans". Never fails to elicit a smile or comment from passers-by or yelling from passing boats

Which is exactly why we are so happy with Skinny Dippin' as our name. It always brings a smile or a chuckle. It never needs spelling (although sometimes we have to tell them "No G on the end) And, other than our last boat (the buyer didn't want to change the name), was totally unique on the USCG registry when we decided on it.

I once knew a man whose nickname was "Tip". He named his boat "Tipsazzinhawk". Explaining to anyone who asked, that it meant Arabian hawk!

The real meaning was "Tip's Ass in Hock". Evidently he didn't buy the boat with the best financial terms!

If I were to name my boat after my 3 exwives, I would need a boat with a very wide stern. WINK WINK Innocent look

Last edited:
Here on the docks we have at least two boats named “Liquid Asset”. I bet that is used frequently and not terribly unique.

My boat is "Papillon" and I would like to change it because I dont like the connotation of "butterfly" and I dont like the image of Steve McQueen jumping a barbed wire fence on a motorcycle. Started to change it to "Waltz Across Texas" (Our song) till I priced the graphics. Now I think, maybe "Q"

• I always like Blew-By-You for a sailboat.
  • There was a boat in the Virgins called Pay Day, which caused consternation on the VHF.
  • While listening to the VHF in the BVI, I overheard Fat Boy calling Working Girl. You can imagine the rum punch coming out my nose when I heard the reply...switch and respond 69.
  • There was a charter boat out of Anacortes called Namukala. I decided then and there never to name a boat something that needed to be spelled in an emergency.
  • I knew a 33' Aluminum Lifetimer named Miss Isle. She was aptly named!

As I leave the dock at Dana Point, I pass a boat named “ Ship for Brains”

A search for "Trillium" on marinetraffic.com yields nine hits.

I was going to rename my old CHB 34 to C.O.S.T. People have asked me way and I tell them because the boat would be like me, Cranky Old Slow Tired.

Boating on Cape Cod some years ago, there was a small cruiser named:

OPPS,,,

the boat name was ,,,,,,,,COD COUPLE

Boat Names

My first power boat after being a life time sailor was named Iron Genny. I only had to explain it to life long power boaters, never to sailor.

Back when I was working on charter boats a friend of mine bought his first charter boat and named it by combining his two sisters middle names. Can't remember the exact name now but is was something like Mary Lynne, a pretty name and very smart thinking on his part. Wasn't going to change via marital status and something a future wife really shouldn't be jealous of.

whats in a name?

This is our 3rd boat with the Dot Calm.....Not dotcom but Dot Calm.
My work online paid for the boat so we thought it was appropriate. :)

Invincible

Here in Narragansett bay we recently saw a boat towed in to our marina after a fire. It was sadly a total loss...but the name struck me as ironic.

Attachments

• 20190614_171550.jpg
    20190614_171550.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 43
Bruno

I submit that boat names range from the sublime to the repugnant, weighted somewhat below the mean, and originality is scarce (all my TF colleagues are exempted from this rant, of course)...i mean how many Tooth Ferry does the world need. And dont get me started about Wet Dream!

But, today in Grappler Inlet, I saw a sportfisherman named Cape Able . Pretty good, but even better if you know that the Canadian CG 47' surf boats are named Cape xxxxx.

I named my Nordic Tug 32 after my dad, BRUNO. He migrated to the states in 1929. He served in the USN in WWII on subs and destroyers.

33 years ago

Wife and I had dinner with our best man (1963) in 1986. He suggested we partner up on a cruiser. Big puzzle was ‘what to name her’.... after no delay wifie says “how about ‘Crew’s Inn’ ? Done and done !
Partnership went very well but did end with a “profit”
(Sold for more than we owed). ...LOL.
We went on without Bob and kept the name on our next cruiser for 26 years - always loved that name...

I wouldn't share the definition of "mythical air pixie or fairy" with my coworkers, that's for sure.

It gets worse. Adding "ide" to Sylph means a very YOUNG pixie or fairy. Mythical or not...well....you know...

I've walked docks all over the eastern coast, some of the west, Canada-- One is seared into my memory from St. Augustine. It was on a 30 something express cruiser/weekend warrior. The name was "Wide Open Boating", and next to the name was a silhouette similar to the "mud flap girl" ubiquitous on truck mudflaps. Like this.... without the text. Now I'm no prude, but my first thought was what explanation follows when the 5 yr old quizzes dad about that image on the boat. It was hard to miss.

That one takes the prize for the hands-down-all-time-winner for "most tasteless boat name". You thought "For Play" was bad...

Tasteless is a running theme with some crowds. I always thought that a boat name says more about the owner than the boat. When I motor past some of the tasteless ones I immediately subconsciously judge who and what they are. Pretty unfair to profile like that but...I bet I'm not far off.

Dr.s boat...Knot On Call

Mine is unique. :blush:

Mark, I do agree with you. About as unique as it gets really. No confusion about yours. I'm sure getting others to pronounce it correctly is a chore though.

As for our boat, Black Eyed Susan, we knew that many wouldn't know it is the state flower of Maryland but geez we thought SOME would know. Not down here. Annapolis yes, Florida? Nope. When my wife (Sheree) and I are both on the boat the passers by always have the same question for her...."You Susan?". She said she is going to get a polo shirt with Susan embroidered on the pocket just for the boat.

I have yet to find another boat with our name. I was surprised as its not THAT odd of a name....

Last edited:
A sailboat in a local lake marina here in Utah is named "Knot-a-Clew".
Appropriate for a sailboat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom