No boating in Canada...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

localboy

Vessel Name
'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Make
C-Dory 25
... until February 2022. Just announced.

I’m trying to find more specifics. https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/covid-19-ban-on-cruise-ships-in-canadian-waters-extended-to-2022-1.5296063

Good! I am pretty sure I will be able to watch more marine life when we will go for kayaking in the gulf. 2020 was amazing, let see 2021!

L

Aren't north-west, cruise-ship ports (Seattle north) in the US?

Aren't north-west, cruise-ship ports (Seattle north) in the US?

If I'm understanding your thoughts correctly...

The Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 prohibits foreign flagged vessels from taking American passengers from a US port to another US port; or from a US port back to the same US port without a stop in a foreign port first.

Since no typical large cruise ship is US flagged any more, as a practical matter they cannot do their Alaska cruises from Seattle, Portland etc. without a stop at a Canadian port without cost prohibitive fines. So if Canada prohibits them in their waters...they are done.

Even if they steamed them empty up to Juneau or Anchorage and tried to depart and return from/to there, they would still run afoul of US law, unless they touched base in Canada somewhere...or Russia or Japan :dance:

US flagged vessels doing smaller niche cruises such as those offered by Linblad and others could sail outside Canadian territorial waters or stay under the 100-passenger cap in the order and probably be good. But most of those sailings depart from Alaskan ports like Juneau or Ketchikan anyhow.

Congress or an E.O. might put in place some waiver process similar to what you can obtain for the Jones Act (which is a somewhat similar protectionism law), I don't know about that, but I'm guessing if there was one, the big companies would have pursued it already.

As a side note of interest, these cruise companies like Princess, Holland America, etc. with foreign-flagged vessels sailing from Seattle or other US ports must ensure that all passengers return with them or they pay a per-passenger fine of around $750 under the law. If you've ever been on one of these cruises, when you ticketed you were given a notice that if you choose to depart the cruise early e.g. cruise to Anchorage, leave and fly home to Wichita, you will pay this amount as a "fee" which is really passing the fine through to the customer.

Last edited:
I will be a LOT more interested in finding out whether or not private vessels will be able to access Canadian waters this summer!

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. You could stay with us. Our dock is finished BUT I couldn't talk to you.

9k=

picture
IMG_0462.JPG

9k=

picture
picture

picture

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. L_t. You could stay with us. Our dock is finished BUT I couldn't talk to you.

9k=

picture
IMG_0462.JPG

9k=

picture
picture

picture
Very happy to see that your dock is finally done, this was a long run but what is done is done! (Though cannot see the pics you posted, not sure why).
Who would like to talk to me and listen to my stupidities anyway, only my wife is capable of handling that [emoji3]

L

I don't know that any of us are planning on carrying more than 100 passengers. As to the Arctic, not in most plans either.

Attachments

• roundbale1-63bestweb.jpg
    roundbale1-63bestweb.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 23
Bless their little hearts. Once more "we are not Americans and do not have to do as you!" Na Na Na Na Na Na!

Since no typical large cruise ship is US flagged any more, as a practical matter they cannot do their Alaska cruises from Seattle, Portland etc. without a stop at a Canadian port without cost prohibitive fines. So if Canada prohibits them in their waters...they are done.

Even if they steamed them empty up to Juneau or Anchorage and tried to depart and return from/to there, they would still run afoul of US law, unless they touched base in Canada somewhere...or Russia or Japan :dance:

US flagged vessels doing smaller niche cruises such as those offered by Linblad and others could sail outside Canadian territorial waters or stay under the 100-passenger cap in the order and probably be good. But most of those sailings depart from Alaskan ports like Juneau or Ketchikan anyhow.

Congress or an E.O. might put in place some waiver process similar to what you can obtain for the Jones Act (which is a somewhat similar protectionism law), I don't know about that, but I'm guessing if there was one, the big companies would have pursued it already.

Ships can merely exchange papers with the pilot boat and not actually dock at the non-American port, thus conform with the Jones Act. Seen it done, first-hand, in Ensenada.

No boating in Canada until 2022?

Where'd you get such a preposterous idea?

We're taking Badger out for a romp tomorrow :D :thumb:

good for you. I will be on mine in two weeks, weather will decide if we leave the dock.

Too bad none of us can go to the artic until next year. This story should have come out on April 1st and I would have laughed harder at some of the responses. Folks, the 49th mostly separates Canada from the US. The 60th is way up there and goes through Alaska, everyone knows where that is.

I could see a temporary waiver for the Jones act happening. That would seem to be an appropriate response to the current situation. If the dramatic trend in reduction of the Corona virus continues in a couple months people will likely be ready to vacation again this summer. You won't be catching me or the wife on one of those things, but I'm sure there will be takers. I am curious if Canada will open the boarder to US recreational boats this summer. I'm thinking not....

good for you. I will be on mine in two weeks, weather will decide if we leave the dock...

Forecast is for light winds. Been a while!

Snowing a bit tonight, so hoping for fresh snow to tideline but will probably rain. Will be beautiful nonetheless and maybe we'll see the Humpbacks that have overwintered in Douglas Channel this year.

Forecast is for light winds. Been a while!

Snowing a bit tonight, so hoping for fresh snow to tideline but will probably rain. Will be beautiful nonetheless and maybe we'll see the Humpbacks that have overwintered in Douglas Channel this year.

You really should get a camera so you can share. :whistling:
and remember stay away 100 meters not 200 like other whales

You really should get a camera so you can share. :whistling:
and remember stay away 100 meters not 200 like other whales

Thanks...must remember camera! (Forgot my tripod on a beach once, but got back before the tide got over it).

Sure, we stay well off, but sometimes they come so close to check us out that you can see the hairs on their chins/lower lips:

Attachments

• Whale Chin Hairs (1).jpg
    Whale Chin Hairs (1).jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 28
Greetings,
Mr. mp. "Seen it done, first-hand, in Ensenada." Perhaps but Ensenada is NOT in Canada as far as I know.

Thanks...must remember camera! (Forgot my tripod on a beach once, but got back before the tide got over it).

Sure, we stay well off, but sometimes they come so close to check us out that you can see the hairs on their chins/lower lips:

I am guilty of being in awe and forgetting to take a photo. I only have memories. Like idling along watching a grey frolic and suddenly appear beside the 32 footer, roll over on its side with a huge eye looking at me. It was longer than the boat. Then gently swimming off.
I have also stopped and shut off engines to watch large pods of orca when they swam in groups of over a dozen. Big momma would detour toward us which was scary, she would raise her head about 20 feet from boat and then dive under and carry on.
Without pictures, unless it has happened to you, it remains our happy memories as i was never alone.
20120714_142018.jpg

Like you Murray, we are casting our lines off in an hour and heading north for the weekend. Not arctic north, just to Cameleon Bay/Thurston Bay, but north nonetheless. A picture perfect day with only minor clouds.

I would have agree. Don't forget your camera Murray you have some great, beautiful shots:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom