Old 04-03-2018, 01:10 AM   #21
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We ran a previous boat down to LA form Seattle. Did a couple of overnight runs. Loved the phosphorescence in the wake. Amazing how bright it was.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:15 AM   #22
FF
Guru

1300 RPM ,7K, smooth quiet , and with luck the hull will take a sea land box with out damage.

The AP is on so the watch only looks for lights , or unlit boats , debris is hard to spot.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:45 AM   #23
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
Ran my cruiser at 8.25 knots at 1325 rpm continuously. Never varied except to dock. Didnít make a difference when hitting logs, heavy seas, fog, etc., but I was confident and comfortable with that speed.

My little sport boat here at night will run up to 14 knots under good conditions but always slow down in channels.

I think itís a matter of your experience and self-confidence as to what speed to run at night.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #24
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
ZERO knots. No one here in Maine goes out at night unless they have a full cage around the props. Even then you will get lobster gear on the rudders. I have only run at night a couple of times after 4th of July fireworks, but that run was short and because there would be hundreds of boats making the same run the lobster fishers removed their gear from the channel for that day - cheaper than losing it.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #25
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
FLIR seems to help a lot. My experience with it though is limited. Any first hand comments?
Since our primary use is distant (relatively) offshore fishing with the objective of being on the grounds just before grey light, we travel extensively at night. And most of that is at least 10 miles offshore, often 100 miles or more offshore. Day or night, we travel at 8.7 knots on average.

I feel safer at night, in part because we always have two at the helm at night, vs. only one during the day, and in part because it is easier to see other boats (at least when their lights are on) at night. Radar and AIS are equally effective day and night. (And we keep the radar on during the day but have NEVER been surprised to see another vessel that I didn't see first on radar, so I have quite a bit of confidence in our radar.)

So, the big risk is hitting something that is semi-submerged. Frankly, I think that risk is also greater during the day, due to our use of FLIR at night. Because FLIR works on temperature differentials, even things that are otherwise hard to see (small, mostly submerged, no distinctive colorings) show up readily on FLIR.

And to top it off, we run searchlight sonar, but the problem with that is balls of baitfish often show up as potential collision targets (although they scoot out of the way at the last minute). During the day, we are typically trolling and don't mind trolling right through the middle of those bait balls (unless we see predator fish working it -- then we are more strategic in our approach). At night, we spend a lot of time needlessly dodging those things.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #26
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
7.7kts/950rpm for me at night. Slower if inshore with challenging channels.

Sometimes offshore the visibility is quite good due to moon, slick calm, stars and distance from coastal lights. Might kick it up a bit even at night, but not to 21kts, more like 16-17 at 1700-1800.

Seen debris out there but is is usually pretty visible as the swell is washing the edges.

If I can't see the sea surface, then it is go slow mode.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:01 AM   #27

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
8-9 knots.

With a bright moon you have visibility for other traffic. But you lose the ability to see objects in the water. You look the ability to read the water.

Would rather be a slower speed if an issue arises.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:52 AM   #28
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Paying Australian prices for fuel, same speed as always 1150rpm for 7.5 knots
If in the land of cheap fuel I would at times up that to 1500 for 9 knots given the right conditions.

Still slower than what we used to sail at.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:42 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Same as during the day, 6-7 knots. Weíve had to slowdown when the seas have increased at times.
Same boat, same speed. By open water I am thinking passages, not harbors.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #30
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
The only night trips we have made are the leg between Apalachicola and the Anclote or Tampa area of Fl.
We don't want to arrive at the crab pot fields in the dark so cruise slowly, about 7 MPH , when looking over a handrail down at the water in the dark even that seems fast