A newbie taking a new boat 1500 miles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Terrapin
Vessel Make
86 Monk36
Hi all . This my first post, I have been observing for a few months while shopping. I went and saw several boats on a trip south from NH. I like one particular boat in Southern Florida.
I am not new to boating at all, but new to anything larger than 22' on a good size lake.
Would it be considered an unwise move to take a new to me 40' boat up the ICW up to New England?
I would be waiting until the spring, I have plenty of time. and would have everything gone over very well before the trip. I was a mechanic by trade, but with so many different systems it is a bit overwhelming.
Any thoughts?

I think that would be the best thing you could do with your mechanical background and experience. As long as you have plenty of time to take it slow.

When I sold my 32' tug a number of years ago we were at a yard in North Carolina with the buyer talking with some of the yard folks. The buyer said, "Great. Now where can I find a transport to take the boat to Boston for me?" He, too, had only had 18ft runabouts on the lake.

One of the yard guys got a weird look on his face, and in the thickest southern North Carolina drawl you could imagine said, "Boats .... wernt ... made ... to go on trucks.....".

We talked some more and all convinced him that he should take 3-4 weeks off of work and take the boat up himself. I told him that by the time he gets to Boston, he will already know every inch of the boat and its systems.

He finally did make the trip and called me a few days after arriving and said that that was the BEST decision he had ever made......

If you have the time (and, if you don't you shouldn't do it) it should be a really fun trip, and you will learn a lot about your boat and boating in general.

1500 miles is just a string of day trips. If you would not have any worries about day trips your plan should not be a worry. Do bring tools and filters, charts of some sort, waterway guides for planning stops etc. Take your time to enjoy all there is along the way. Boat services and supplies are readily available along the way. Sleep well and after the trip you wont be a newbie any longer.

Absolutely doable, but not without training. For SURE, you'll want a few days in training, hands on, with the boat. And from someone that knows it.

You might also get some tips on the ICW, but there's tons of folks here that can share that info.

Present owner said he would spend a day or two on the boat locally with me. I would cruise locally for a few days to get a little comfortable.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard! Agree with the training comment AND if you haven't already, enroll in some US Power Squadron courses. IF available in these "interesting" times, it will give you a leg up on lots of nautical "stuff".
As far as the 1500 mile trip goes...

iu

We brought our new to us (and first big power boat) down from Connecticut to Annapolis. Shorter trip but interesting none the less. Take the time and it would be a great trip. Ping me if you want to break the trip in the mid Chesapeake bay for a week or two I’m sure we can find a spot for it for a short layover.

We bought our current boat in Virginia and ran it home to Michigan 1400 miles. We took 45 days doing it. We took our time and pretty much waited out the weather except for crossing Lake Ontario, it was pretty uncomfortable but not dangerous. My wife didn’t like it at all. We did a couple of 2 day cruises locally before we left for the trip home to shake it down. We had an electrical issue the first day out so we spent 2 days in Annapolis and I traced out the 12 volt wiring. The PO had it set up so that the house batteries didn’t charge with the engines. After I changed a few cables around all was good and we didn’t have any more problems all the way home. Good luck with your endeavor.

There are a lot of challenges involved in moving up from 22ft to 45ft. I know - I did it!! We purchased our Selene 47 in Lauderdale and a few weeks later brought it up non-stop to Rhode Island, outside the whole way. How did we do it? We hired an experienced delivery captain., and we brought a friend along who like us had small boat experience. So, 3 small boaters and a captain. During our one week trip we learned the new vessel pretty well. I got up and close to the mechanicals. My wife learned navigation (beyond what we already knew), using chartplotters, radar etc. We learned to handle the boat under different conditions, and learned to trust our instruments running in the dark.
So, at one level it was only the beginning of a continuous learning experience, but it was a great foundation. So, my advice is to not try to solo hand your first big boat. Get enough crew (2+) preferably with larger boat experience. Better still hire yourself a delivery captain for the at least a part of the trip north. You will learn a lot about your boat, its new more complex systems, and its handling characteristics.

Perhaps consider having a friend w big not experience join you. Hiring a captain would be the best and safest

Have you checked with your insurance company as to moving from 22’ to 40’? They may require you to have a captain for a certain amount of time. Our insurance company usually does that if you are moving up more than 15’.

I bought my boat in LA and took it straight to Seattle. I had a designated parts runner at home with engine make, serial numbers and parts catalogs. I was never down for more than 12 hours thanks to my parts person and fedEx.

One challenge the OP may not foresee is quirks of navigating ICW navigational aids. I moved to Florida from California and although I am pretty experienced, I found the ICW ATONs a bit confusing for a while. Time with the PO should assist, but it may be an unexpected part of the learning curve.

I agree with the consensus advice. Have a good trip and don't press your luck. Chances are you'll have the trip of your life, and you'll arrive as a comfortable captain of your boat!

Peter

WELCOME. Your plan sounds like exactly what I was going to recommend when I read your first post. The new thing to pair with your mechanical ability will be diagnosing all those bigger boat any issues like toilet malfunctions (lots different than ashore), fresh water system issues, verifying that the extra bilge water really is actually salt and not a leaking tank and on and on. It's just a different perspective, and if you are new to diesels (assuming you a going that route) or even if you are not join Boat diesel.com and go through the archives on your engine. I doubt your move UP to a 40 footer was as dramatic as my move DOWN to a Grand Banks 42. Months after I stepped off the gangway of a battleship after a three year tour of duty I bought the GB (never had a motorized vessel bigger than a 5 HP OB on a punt as a kid). It was quite an adjustment to maintain the boat's system, but I always enjoyed it, and I am sure you will too, as long as too many things don't head south at once. :) I really hope you will let us follow along with you as you head north with your observations as a new owner.

Thanks everyone that chiming in. I will be reading through it all until the spring when we will be ready to go. I have a lot of learning and reading to get ready. Planing on bringing my wife and 2 others that have some big boat experience for at least the beginning week or so. Its going to be a long winter!

When you get to the point you are comfy with the idea, we enjoy boat photos big time!

The boats in Florida, perfect! You’ve got several months to make several practice cruises before you head North. Get familiar with the systems. Have some fun.

Another possibility is to break the trip up into segments. Take a week and get the boat to maybe Brunswick Georgia and leave it at a marina. Then do the next leg a week or month later. If you are use to small day boats, doing a 1,500 mile trip day after day after day, can be daunting. I ran my boat from Fort Myers to Virginia Beach in 13 days and was exhausted. I have a lot of experience running charter boats, but day after day wears you down. In a perfect world I prefer to travel no more than 2 or 3 days before a day off.

Ted

I agree with Ted. We normally would run 2-4 days then take a lay day or two. It took us 45 days to go 1400 miles. But we probably ran about 25 or 26 days. Some days off were due to weather some because we were tired and some because we wanted to sight see. Don’t try to make a schedule at all more than a couple days out or you will end up putting yourself into situations that aren’t good. If you think the weather might be too bad, then it is.

Any thoughts?

If the boat was not sold as a fixer up er , and seems in OK shape,

JUST GO DO IT.

You may have a problem or two but with an anchor ready nothing should be a big deal , but bring your tool box. ENJOY !!!

Last edited:
Hi all . This my first post, I have been observing for a few months while shopping. I went and saw several boats on a trip south from NH. I like one particular boat in Southern Florida.
I am not new to boating at all, but new to anything larger than 22' on a good size lake.
Would it be considered an unwise move to take a new to me 40' boat up the ICW up to New England?
I would be waiting until the spring, I have plenty of time. and would have everything gone over very well before the trip. I was a mechanic by trade, but with so many different systems it is a bit overwhelming.
Any thoughts?

Speaking as someone that did almost the same exact thing, You Can Do It. My wife and brought our Mainship up from Saint Petersburg Fla to Long Island N.Y. We did it in November and we did it in a very short period of time. Our previous boat was a 23’er I had been around boats most of my life but not as captain/owner just as a guest and or part of the crew. You will have plenty of time getting used to the new boat on the ICW long before you must venture into the ocean. There will be plenty of opportunities to run a day in the ocean here and there. With no time frame you can pick and choose the days which give you the best conditions. I would recommend getting the ICW guides prior to getting started as these can be of great help. You can also get local knowledge from people here and from Sea Tow or Boat US, if you are a member, which would be money well spent. Keep a log as you go, take pictures, make friends, and most of all enjoy the adventure. You will look back on it for many years to come.

Go for it. The plans you posted and the advice you have been given are sound and I bet you'll have a great time. Our first time using our boat was a 1000 mile cruise and it was scary, exciting, fun, interesting, stressful, relaxing and wonderful. We REALLY got to know the boat on the trip.

To pile on, when I was working on my first, private pilot license years ago and planning the mandatory cross country flight, the advice was that a long flight is simply a series of short legs strung together. Short of 24 hour passage making, a long voyage is the same, simply a bunch of short voyages one right after another. Piece of cake.

As has been mentioned, it's just a bunch of day trips.

Be sure not to have a fixed schedule in mind. Way too many mistakes/deaths happen when notions about being 'pressed for time' outweigh the reality of the situation.

As for the trip... well, in a boat you know pretty well, sure. But in a boat that's "new to you"? I'd want at least a few days experience with the boat before striking off for parts unknown. Trips where you figure out how it handles. How everything works (and what doesn't). What needs fixing, and how long the parts of those repairs will take to arrive.

I second the recommendation to have someone else on land that can help you handle the logistics of parts delivery should the need arise.

Bear in mind that during the edges of the seasons not everything is going to be up and running. Fuel docks and restaurants may not be open if it's not in the local 'high season'. Likewise, bridges may be on different schedules, or NOT OPENING AT ALL.

I would have been in for an unexpected surprise had we tried to run 'inside' on the NJ stretch of the ICW back in early April when we brought our boat down from RI to MD. The NJ roads department had closed the various bridges we would have needed to go under until road work could be completed. It wouldn't have been a show-stopper, but could have added a lot of delays had bad weather kicked up. Fortunately weather held out and we made the trip from Sandy Hook to Cape May without going inside.

Next week I am heading up to Annapolis for a survey of a 42 Jefferson. I sold my 28' SeaRay Sundancer. If the survey goes well I am going to fly back up from Tampa on December 1 and hook up with a captain and we are going to run her back down to Tampa. I am flying solo and did not want to do it alone so I figured that this would be a great way to get to know the boat and really develop things like start up and shut down checklists, maintenance schedules, etc. with an experienced captain. I may have a few friends join along from stretch to stretch but I did not want to be dependent on their schedules. It is a bit expensive, but my insurance company was MUCH more comfortable about this plan and I can probably apply some of the cost of the captain to the savings on my policy.

Given that the captain is going to want to just get the job done, we will probably be giving this new-to-me boat a serious shakedown. Having someone who will watch the weather and help me evaluate safety issues will be a big plus too! It is a quicker trip than I would do myself, but I am not retired yet and need to make it happen in as close to a schedule as time permits. I will slow it down when I turn around and retrace my steps and do the loop in a few years, but getting 1300 miles under my belt will be exciting!

Wifey B: Delivery run or pleasure cruise. That is the question. :D

People buy boats in distant areas and then rush them home and see nothing on the way. Now, circumstances today limit what you can enjoy but still take your time to enjoy the trip. Move one day and sit the next or move half a day and enjoy the rest. :)

Newbie moving a boat

Any thoughts?

Were you a diesel mech by trade? Just asking.
I think your plan is a very good one but I'd add a couple of notes. You should have a shipmate with you, for numerous reasons. They should know something about boating but need not be masters at sea. Secondly, you listed the most important ingredient, "plenty of time". "Having to be" at such and such destination by a certain date and time is a recipe for disaster or worse. If you have the ability to wait out bad weather and get underway during calm spells", moving your own boat, with help, is probably the best thing you could do in order to learn it and become familiar with it's systems quickly. The ICW is a blessing in terms of moving a boat. If you were going from San Diego to Seattle, I'd have different advice. BTW, I'd start in very early Spring in order to avoid Hurricane season, depending on how long you are planning to be on the boat.

Two comments. Make sure you can get insurance coverage with the jump up in size. Some companies are being a bit more restrictive these dates when you jump up in size.

As suggested elsewhere, it would be good to hire a delivery Captain to go along on your trip north to provide training as you go. That would also help if insurance companies bulk at writing a policy. You wouldn’t necessarily need to have the Captain on board for the whole trip but it would be helpful if you can afford the cost.

Training? The AICW is the perfect on the job training ground ever. You will have a blast.

Back
Top Bottom