Netherlands Boat Ownership?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humper

Owning a Boat in the Netherlands?
I am looking at purchasing a trawler in the Netherlands and keeping it there. Hoping folks can help me answer some basic questions:
- Surveyor's and general costs?
- Permanent moorage?
- Winter Storage/ moorage?
- Monthly moorage costs?
- Licensing and permitting?
- General availability of Local Captains for hire - one month stints?
- Hidden pitfalls?
My goal is to spend one month/year on the boat. My background is a Fleming 55 owner, and I have a Master Captains license (50grt) - but strictly amateur.
No foreign language skills. Any advice welcome. Thanks!

Welcome aboard. I absolutely love the Fleming 55.

This is my first time post. I am the lucky owner of the first Fleming 55 (Hull#19) made - two years + on a major refit (85% complete?). Hopefully I will be able to post refit pics in the next year or so. Thanks.

Seems like a lot of potential expense for only one month per year of use! Have you considered chartering/rental?
On the plus side, I can tell you that language will not be an issue. Most Dutch are very good with English.

You might consider contacting Tom Sommers, who spent years cruising the European canals in order to write his guidebooks. Lots of Holland-related info. He's from upstate New York, if my memory serves correctly.

https://www.eurocanals.com/

- My sons and other friends will also be using the vessel. Good news on the language issue.
- Fun link on the Canals.

Thanks.

I am looking at purchasing a trawler in the Netherlands and keeping it there. Hoping folks can help me answer some basic questions:
- Permanent moorage?
- Monthly moorage costs?
- Hidden pitfalls?
My goal is to spend one month/year on the boat. My background is a Fleming 55 owner, and I have a Master Captains license (50grt) - but strictly amateur.

I am looking to buy a trawler in the Netherlands and keep it there. In the hope that people can help me answer some basic questions: - Surveyor's and general costs? the closer ho - Permanent berth? - Winter storage / berth? - Monthly mooring fees? - how closer to the coast the higher the mooring fees, indication, close to the coast 1500 euros for a boat of 36 feet per year. Permits and permits? - from 49 feet (15 meters) or faster than 20 kilometers per hour, a boating license A or B is mandatory depending on the sailing area. General availability of Local Captains for rent - one month stints? I keep my recommended, just kidding, is do arrange. - Hidden pitfalls? are not there as far as I know. My goal is to spend a month/year on the boat. My background is a Fleming 55 owner and I have a Master Captains license (50grt) - but strictly amateur. No knowledge of foreign languages. Any advice welcome. Thank you!

Pascal.

Thanks Pascal. Hopefully I will be in Netherlands next month closing deal.

I agree with ScottC.
If you will only be on the boat for 1 month per year it will be a hell of a lot of cost ...........and risk. You may actually end up arriving at your boat, finding that it needs repair and down the drain goes your holiday.
That said, I know that there are places in the Netherlands where you can park your boat inside and they will take care of it. It is going to cost you quite a bit of money, but the boat will be in good hands. The Netherlands is known for quite nasty weather, lots of rain, often winter storms and you could end up with solid frozen rivers /canals out of the blue. In that case you will need a place where the boat is safe.
Otherwise I would say..........if the boat is moveable, bring it to the Med and you don't need to worry about winter problems.

In any case good luck with the purchase.

Humper, are you an EU citizen? If so, you will have to pay VAT at closing, at least that is my understanding, unless the boat already has VAT paid.

If you are not an EU citizen, you can keep the boat in the NL for up to 18 months without having to pay VAT, assuming the VAT was not paid.

I think flagging the vessel is going to be an issue if you are not a NL citizen. I looked into this a year or so go, and figured it was not an option. Can't remember all of the reasons, but having to pay VAT was a big issue.

Later,
Dan

@ Humper,

The VAT is indeed a big issue. Make sure that, if you buy the boat, you do get a VAT statement. The police and customs, even the Coast Guard will ask for it when they stop you on the water for a routine check. If you don't have the VAT statement or nothing is written in the contract you will end up in trouble.
Keep that in mind.

If VAT is paid then you should be able to register your boat without a problem. Since the boat is in the Netherlands you could get a Dutch registration, but otherwise I can recommend a Polish registration. It is easy, quick, does not cost a lot and is accepted everywhere. Best part is that they don't need to inspect the boat, they will accept it if the paperwork is in order.

I have trawler in the Netherlands

I've own a 40 ft trawler in the Netherlands since 2016 and my wife and I love the time there and the experience of being in a foreign country. email me and I can answer some questions. a1bacus@gmail.com

- Permanent moorage?
- Monthly moorage costs?
- Hidden pitfalls?

I have been going to the Netherlands several times annually for over 50 years. In fact, I just returned last night after working there 8 days. It’s a lovely boating area and is the gateway to fantastic cruising in the Baltic and even the Norwegian Arctic. If you are in the market for a brokerage boat make sure VAT is paid. If buying a new boat you will likely need to pay VAT unless you go out of the EU. There are many fantastic boats available there…mostly in steel which the Dutch do superbly. Most Dutch trawlers are built to a much higher standard than Asian trawlers. If you buy a boat that is “France Proof,” the air draft will be less than 3.50 meters which is usually accomplished with a push button hydraulic mast and folding windshield. This will allow a boat to do the French canals all the way to the med. I often lecture, on Great Loopers that can do Blue Water too. Holland is the best source for such boats. I know someone who has a France Proof 50’ that crossed the Atlantic last fall without bladder tanks at an average speed of 9 kts.I If you do need a boat license, I know a lot about this topic, but my understanding is the authorities typically focus on VAT.
Costs are reasonable and there are facilities all over the country, but it helps if you know someone who can offer guidance. Curiously, last week I was aboard a Fleming 55
that was totally rebuilt there and is actually a big improvement over the standard boat.

Anyone visiting Rotterdam could make time to visit the Maritime Museum to board its collection of traditional boats floating at the docks,as well as the static displays.

The Netherlands has a rich maritme history as Holland was once one of the world’s leading superpowers though a tiny country.

Thank you for everyone who has shared their wisdom and advice. I think I have enough info to make a good decision. I am planning on taking the trip soon. At present, it looks like I am at 50% reality versus 50% dream! Again, great info - thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom