navy personnelboat 28 ft, ww2 rivetted steel hul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a picture of the fueltank. does this give some recognition? Perhaps it is original one, look old to me. tank.jpg

I was thinking the same thing, but it seems tad smallish for that, at least by modern standards. I would guess it was used as a captain's GIG, but in WWII, whoh knows possibly an admiral's BARGE.

We carried one similar craft on each of the three guided missile destroyers I was assigned to back in the 70s and 80s as a captain's gig. We also had a 26-foot whaleboat. One the larger DDG, we also had a 36-foot open personnel boat.

The only time I ever rode in the gig was when the captain invited me. Otherwise it was usually in the hired shore boat which could carry many more of our crew than the small boats we carried.

If it is such a boat, then the second question would be, how did it get here?
In have informed at a navy historian, he said that the big navy ships did not visit Dutch harbours in those days.

If it is such a boat, then the second question would be, how did it get here?
In have informed at a navy historian, he said that the big navy ships did not visit Dutch harbours in those days.

There are so many ways a boat that old could end up in any given place in the world that it may have been well after the war that somebody sailed it on its own bottom to the continent from England or up the coast from France.

There are so many ways a boat that old could end up in any given place in the world that it may have been well after the war that somebody sailed it on its own bottom to the continent from England or up the coast from France.

could you perhaps tell on what kind of ships these were carried?

Back
Top Bottom