Navigation Software

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben

Guru
Vessel Name
Silver Lining
Vessel Make
Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
So I did a ChatGPT question for the best navigation software…
I currently use Navionics.
Here’s the ChatGPT results.

Can you say what your favorite is and why? And what is the cost? Thanks

In the United States, popular marine navigation software includes:

1. **NOAA Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs)**
2. **Garmin BlueChart**
3. **Navionics**
4. **Rose Point Coastal Explorer**
5. **Nobeltec TimeZero**
6. **iNavX**
7. **MaxSea TZ Navigator**
8. **OpenCPN**
9. **Furuno NavNet**
10. **Raymarine Lighthouse**

Mine is Navionics. I pay $149 per year for my region. I got it because I’ve seen others using it. It seems good, but I’ve not used all features yet. Others seemed to like it.

I’m open to other packages.

ChatGPT is fundamentally stupid in many areas. The first two items are not navigation software, they are chart types. It also uses trade names for software running in dedicated chart plotters as software. The only to wisely use AI is to be smart enough to know when it is giving you bad information.

I have used RosePoint’s Coastal Explorer since 2005, predating most of the items on the list. The primary differences between the software items on the list are features and chart sources. Ease of use is a factor, but that is in the eyes of the beholder. We spend 4-5 months a year on our boat covering about 1500-2000 miles a year so we don’t depend on a single navigation program. Our primary is Coastal Explorer interfaced to the NMEA 2000 network for autopilot control and multiple GPS sources. We also have a Garmin MFD running Blue Charts and a small Raymarine MFD running NOAA ENC charts. Lastly we have Navionics on both an IPad and Android tablet.

When you make a decision be sure to factor in keeping charts up to date. With Coastal Explorer and Navionics that is pretty much automatic if you are connected to the internet. With Coastal Explorer NOAA ENC chart updates are free. Chart updates with some MFDs now are an income stream for the manufacturer.

Tom

I think tpbrady covered this pretty well.

I use Navionics on an iPad, I have CE on a lap top and I use Navionics charts in my Raymarine MFD.

I like CE the best, it gives me the most functions and the most control of customization of the functions.

The MFD’s give me the most reliability.

Navionics on an iPad sure is cheap. Twice now it is all I had when delivering a newly purchased boat. Once from La to Seattle and once From Vancouver to Seattle. It worked just fine.

I have a Raymarine lighthouse chartplotter with navionics loaded because I can see the same on the smartphone. As long as it appears to be accurate where I travel do not need anything else feature wise. Not sure I am missing anything.

Another vote for Coastal Explorer. Excellent presentation and controls; free updates($100/year for Canadian data which they have to pay for) and good customer support. What's not to like?

ChatGPT is fundamentally stupid in many areas.

I can't argue that. Mostly playing with it, but have realized that myself.

Navionics seems pretty good. Just I get flooded with ads for other packages. Curious if something beats Navionics.

We previously used Navionics, but switched to Nobletec's TZ iBoat when we installed the Furuno wireless radar. The TZ iBoat overlays on the chart, and found I like it better than Navionics, which I really liked in the first place.

IIRC, the charts were $49. But that was 5 years ago. Probably need to update them...

Back
Top Bottom